The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Out of the base path? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/44450-out-base-path.html)

GaDawg Fri May 16, 2008 10:48pm

Out of the base path?

Runner on second, no one on first. Ball hit to F6. At the crack of the bat the runner takes off. In order not to run into F6 who is charging the ball, runner goes in front of F6 and is out of the base path. I called the runner out. The base coach stated that he had to run out of the path so as not to cause interference. Was the correct call made?

[email protected] Fri May 16, 2008 11:06pm

Sorry, no. Two elements to the call--(1) he must run out of the line he established (which he appears to have done) and (2) he must do so to avoid being tagged out (which does not seem to have been the case). Since both elements were not met, he is not out.

soundedlikeastrike Sat May 17, 2008 12:55am

Only if you felt he left the baseline to avoid the tag.

If SS had already gained possesion and R2 then ran more than 3 feet out of his current line, you we're right.

But as I visualize your post, R2 was simply avoiding a defender fielding a batted ball, which he is required to do.

Once the defender has the ball and has a tag attempt, then you establish the baseline.

Ex: same play, R2 cut's into the infield grass to avoid the SS who's camped out on a direct line between 2B-3B awaiting the GB. Cleary no need for R2 to go that far, but certainly nothing illegal about it.

Mrumpiresir Sat May 17, 2008 04:17am

This is not a difficult rule to understand.
1. A runner can run almost anywhere he likes if a play is not being made on him (as long as he is not making a travesty of the game).
2. He must always avoid a defense player who is attempting to field a batted ball.
3. The only time a runner would be called out for leaving the base path is if he is attempting to avoid a tag (or if he is abandonig his effort to run the bases).

mbyron Sat May 17, 2008 07:03am

As others have indicated, you kicked it. Runners are required by rule to avoid fielders fielding the ball. All rule sets.

JR12 Sat May 17, 2008 07:37am

another possibility is if the runner slows up or stops in front of the fielder intentionally to shield his view and interfere with him fielding the ball, now he's out. Thats a tough sell, because he could say he's trying to avoid being struck by the ball.

aceholleran Sat May 17, 2008 09:25am

I think most of us will agree to give the runner plenty of leeway here.

CS/FP RB takes precedence here, as it almost always does

OOB is a call I never "look" for.

Ace

mbyron Sat May 17, 2008 09:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JR12
another possibility is if the runner slows up or stops in front of the fielder intentionally to shield his view and interfere with him fielding the ball, now he's out. Thats a tough sell, because he could say he's trying to avoid being struck by the ball.

He could say that, but it wouldn't make sense to stop in the path of the ball. That crap doesn't fly.

[email protected] Sat May 17, 2008 02:52pm

Stopping, yeah I'm probably with you. Slowing, nope, not even going to try to sell that one. He--and his coach--are going to argue he was trying to judge where the ball was going. You're going to have a s##t-storm if you try to defend that call.

GaDawg Sat May 17, 2008 08:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaDawg
Runner on second, no one on first. Ball hit to F6. At the crack of the bat the runner takes off. In order not to run into F6 who is charging the ball, runner goes in front of F6 and is out of the base path. I called the runner out. The base coach stated that he had to run out of the path so as not to cause interference. Was the correct call made?

Thanks for all the replys and help. I'm a new ump and strive to do a good job.

[email protected] Sat May 17, 2008 08:44pm

If you weren't trying, you wouldn't be here. Don't beat yourself up--even on things we know, I'm sure most umps will admit (if only to themselves!) making mistakes when they knew better. In the print version of the OBR I have, it states you will make mistakes. I think that certainly applies to LL umps, HS umps, and anyone else, not just OBR umps! Keep at it--you'll get better.