The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Foot on base VARIATION (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/44303-foot-base-variation.html)

Illini_Ref Sun May 11, 2008 07:12pm

Foot on base VARIATION

BR going to first. BR beats the throw but steps on the foot of F3 who is standing on the base. BR never touched the "base" but instead the foot that was on top of the base. Now there is no way to block the entire TOP of the base with a foot.

Is the runner out on appeal?

umpduck11 Sun May 11, 2008 07:20pm

Very unlikely to happen in big-boy ball. Spikes hurt the top of the foot too much to do something that dumb.

Illini_Ref Sun May 11, 2008 07:22pm

Ah, but the unlikely usually happens at some point and not thinking about these things can be costly. I've seen plenty of feet stepped on, usually on poor throws and F3 trying to drag a foot across the bag.

Anyway, out on appeal or not?

bob jenkins Sun May 11, 2008 08:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Illini_Ref
Ah, but the unlikely usually happens at some point and not thinking about these things can be costly. I've seen plenty of feet stepped on, usually on poor throws and F3 trying to drag a foot across the bag.

Anyway, out on appeal or not?

I'm sure part of the runner's foot touched the base.

rei Sun May 11, 2008 08:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins
I'm sure part of the runner's foot touched the base.

Amen. Safe. Play on!

mick Sun May 11, 2008 09:47pm

Wait a whoa!
Having played plenty of first base, and having been stepped on while on the inside corner of the bag, I know there are other considerations to this play. ;)

rei Mon May 12, 2008 08:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick
Wait a whoa!
Having played plenty of first base, and having been stepped on while on the inside corner of the bag, I know there are other considerations to this play. ;)

Yup....If you have the inside corner and get kicked, me and the batter/runner have a one sided quick exchange. ;)

Rich Mon May 12, 2008 09:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rei
Yup....If you have the inside corner and get kicked, me and the batter/runner have a one sided quick exchange. ;)

My partner ejected a BR who decided to veer in and go for an ankle in the process. Trust me, it was a quick exchange, although the one with his head coach was a bit longer and eventually involved me.

rei Mon May 12, 2008 09:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN
My partner ejected a BR who decided to veer in and go for an ankle in the process. Trust me, it was a quick exchange, although the one with his head coach was a bit longer and eventually involved me.

Indeed! My "quick exchange" just may be to eject him, although I haven't had to do so. Usually, looking the batter/runner in the eye I say "Knock that crap off" with my famous "pissed at you" face. They NEVER argue, and their team doesn't do it again in the game. :)

Daryl H. Long Mon May 12, 2008 11:42am

I agree with all that is said.

Safe as some part of foot touched the base.
Take care of B/R if he tries to hurt defensive player.