The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Home Plate ump forget his long sleeves? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/44158-home-plate-ump-forget-his-long-sleeves.html)

johnnyg08 Tue May 06, 2008 09:32pm

Home Plate ump forget his long sleeves?

Twins/White Sox...I've never seen this at the MLB level before...long sleeves worn under a short sleeve shirt. Is that acceptable in any set?

briancurtin Tue May 06, 2008 09:43pm

i would never do it, but ive seen it many a time

i believe larry young's picture on MLB.com used to be of him working the plate in a short sleeve shirt with underarmor

tjones1 Tue May 06, 2008 10:43pm

I haven't seen the highlights yet. But, Dana's number is 32.

eagle_12 Tue May 06, 2008 11:45pm

I've seen it before in the bigs. All personal preference I do believe.

canadaump6 Tue May 06, 2008 11:49pm

Is it bad attire to wear a long sleeved shirt under the umpiring shirt? I've done this many times before and never been told it was a bad idea.

[email protected] Tue May 06, 2008 11:57pm

In the early part of the season, I do it all the time. I have enough invested in shirts and if I started buying long-sleeved shirts, I might have to look for a new wife. Not worth it. See it done by many oficials around here. If it happens that I get a case of the stupids and get sunburned, I might even wear the long-sleeved undershirt in July to protect from more injury.

mrm21711 Wed May 07, 2008 12:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadaump6
Is it bad attire to wear a long sleeved shirt under the umpiring shirt? I've done this many times before and never been told it was a bad idea.

Its not bad. Its terrible.

bob jenkins Wed May 07, 2008 06:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadaump6

Like most "fashion" items, it depends on the area. The saying, "Dress for the job you want, not for the job you have" applies here. If the umpires at "the next level" (whatever that means for you) wear this, then it's okay for you to wear it. If not, then don't.

Personally, I think that if it's cold enough to wear a long-sleeved undershirt, that you should wear either a long-sleeved over shirt or a jacket.

ozzy6900 Wed May 07, 2008 07:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Like most "fashion" items, it depends on the area. The saying, "Dress for the job you want, not for the job you have" applies here. If the umpires at "the next level" (whatever that means for you) wear this, then it's okay for you to wear it. If not, then don't.

Personally, I think that if it's cold enough to wear a long-sleeved undershirt, that you should wear either a long-sleeved over shirt or a jacket.

Agreed. In my association, we do not allow long sleeve undershirts with a short sleeve shirt. We do allow the long sleeve shirts to be worn at the discretion of the crew. Personally, I do not own a long sleeve shirt. I use a plate coat and on the bases I use a jacket if I am cold.

johnnyg08 Wed May 07, 2008 08:06am

sounds like it's different everywhere in the country...i guess the takeaway here is do what your association says...

bossman72 Wed May 07, 2008 09:23am

Question:

Should we treat long sleeve shirts the same as jackets in regard to your partner wearing one? So If I want to wear a long sleeve, can my partner wear a short sleeve and be ok?

bob jenkins Wed May 07, 2008 09:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bossman72
Question:

Should we treat long sleeve shirts the same as jackets in regard to your partner wearing one? So If I want to wear a long sleeve, can my partner wear a short sleeve and be ok?

IMO -- all base umpires must be the same, the plate umpire can be different.

UMP25 Wed May 07, 2008 09:59am

Agreed, Bob. Of course, in a 2-man crew it always looks a bit odd, but I guess as long as I look like myself on the bases, I'll be OK. :confused: :D

David B Wed May 07, 2008 10:50am

Quote:

that's the way that I've always been taught and the way that we've done it in our local groups.

Thanks
David

Emperor Ump Wed May 07, 2008 11:29am

Quote:

Agreed. I've never had a problem with a partner wearing long sleeves or a jacket while I'm behind the plate in short sleeves. But If there is more than one BU they should be uniform.

Also, my association recently sent out an email saying that long sleeve shirts are not to be worn under your short sleeve shirt.