The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 07, 2008, 11:53am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msavakinas
you should wear long sleeve shirts on plate only... do not wear one on the bases, only a jacket... IMO jacket shouldn't be worn on plate but it is done all the time anyways.

if the plate guy wears long sleeves base guy wears a jacket

what bob said is correct, bases match and plate guy does as he pleases within reason
I disagree with that. I have no problem with base umpires wearing long sleeves. And I do not know of any provision where I live that has such provisions in the first place.

Now before the long sleeves were made it was common to wear a long sleeve shirt underneath the current pull over style. No one had a problem as long as the sleeves underneath were the same color of the shirt. At that time it was not hard because there was really only one shirt we wore at that time.

Peace
Old Wed May 07, 2008, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
long sleeve shirt is for plate
jacket is for bases but can be worn for plate if need be

show me a graphic of the base guy wearing a long sleeve shirt and not a jacket?
I have not only seen it, but also I have done it.

I would not, however, where a long-sleeved undershirt under a short-sleeved undershirt. De gustibus non est disputandum.

Last edited by tcarilli; Wed May 07, 2008 at 01:30pm.
Old Wed May 07, 2008, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

I've seen UA stuff with short sleeve shirts on many occasions and do not have a problem with it.

I've known a few guys that wear ong sleeve UA type stuff in the heat of summer because they are having skin cancer issues. In fact I've considered this because on two occasion my doc has been concerned about spots on my arm. A well ventilated short sleeve short with some long sleeve UA Heat Gear is far cooler than a long sleeve umpire shirt in summer situations.
Old Wed May 07, 2008, 01:59pm
M.A.S.H.

I've worn a long sleeve shirt on the bases. However, it was really cold and I was looking for layers. It was of course under my jacket, so the only one who knew was me. I've never seen just a long sleeve shirt being worn on the bases.
Old Wed May 07, 2008, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Just because you don't see MLB umpire wearing long sleeved jerseys on the bases doesn't make bad. You won't catch me wearing those short sleeved smocks they wear.

If you guys don't have the long sleeved shirt from theofficialschoice.com, you're missing out. Niiiiiiiice. Base, plate, no matter. It's a very comfortable piece of gear when it's 55 to 65 degrees.

Long sleeved under armour under a short sleeved shirt just looks a bit tacky, like an after thought. Not a big deal, and if you're wearing to block the sun, God bless. Don't lose sleep over it.
Old Wed May 07, 2008, 02:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
long sleeve shirt is for plate
jacket is for bases but can be worn for plate if need be

show me a graphic of the base guy wearing a long sleeve shirt and not a jacket?
I do not have a picture. And unless you can show me where you cannot wear this anywhere in writing then it can be done. As said this is a local issue that the standards might be set by the people you work for. Now considering that they make the long sleeve shirts they can be worn. I have never seen anywhere it is only restricted for plate use. And in a two man system, I really do not care what the base umpire wears as long as we are in the sprit of uniformity.

Peace
Old Wed May 07, 2008, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
I've worn a long sleeve shirt on the bases. However, it was really cold and I was looking for layers. It was of course under my jacket, so the only one who knew was me. I've never seen just a long sleeve shirt being worn on the bases.
I've seen MWC and SWAC guys wear long sleeves on the bases. I always wondered why they didn't just throw on jackets.
Old Wed May 07, 2008, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

My most favorite piece of gear is a +POS lined long sleeved jersey. They didn't make them very long, but they're very warm. I'll wear them down to 50, where I'll switch to a jacket.
Old Wed May 07, 2008, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

I like to wear the long sleeve on the plate or bases if it is cool but not cold. I've heard the theory that they are only for plate but I've seen it on both here. Long sleeve undershirt looks silly. Last week I had a partner in a red UA with a navy shirt. (He resembled Superman a little bit) between games he said he forgot his jacket so I gave him one of mine.
Old Wed May 07, 2008, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the responses guys.

I wonder if Coach JM is going to add my statement that I wear a long sleeved shirt to his little list of canadaump6 quotes?
Old Wed May 07, 2008, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

canadaump6,

No, I wouldn't do that.

JM
Old Thu May 08, 2008, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
I have seen this growing trend as well. Ironically, these umpires who wear long sleeved shirts under short sleeved shirts are still excellent umpires, go figure.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Thu May 08, 2008, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
I have seen this growing trend as well. Ironically, these umpires who wear long sleeved shirts under short sleeved shirts are still excellent umpires, go figure.
They may be excellent umpires, but dressed like power dorks they're going to have to work a little harder to prove it.
Old Thu May 08, 2008, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
While I might agree with you about how this looks, I'm not going to worry about it, because I mostly care about the quality of my partners work, as opposed to his look.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Fri May 09, 2008, 12:58am
Official Forum Member

You mean you don't want your partners to look FABULOUS?!?