The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Question: FSU vs Clemson (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/44099-question-fsu-vs-clemson.html)

DTQ_Blue Sat May 03, 2008 10:24pm

Question: FSU vs Clemson

Clemson got a 2 run HR in the bottom of the 9th to tie the game. Their whole bench ran to the plate to greet the batter. I noticed that the first base umpire came down the line and positioned himself between the Clemson players and the FSU pitcher until they all returned to their dugout.

What is that done for?

Mike

Rich Ives Sat May 03, 2008 10:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DTQ_Blue
Clemson got a 2 run HR in the bottom of the 9th to tie the game. Their whole bench ran to the plate to greet the batter. I noticed that the first base umpire came down the line and positioned himself between the Clemson players and the FSU pitcher until they all returned to their dugout.

What is that done for?

Mike

5-1 d. After a home run, no offensive team member, other than the base coaches, shall touch the batter-runner before home plate has been
touched. Team personnel, except for preceding base runners, shall not
enter the dirt circle at home plate to congratulate the batter-runner.
PENALTY for d.—After a warning for the first offense, ejection from the
contest of one of the offending players.

mbyron Mon May 05, 2008 07:23am

Rich, I don't think that was the question. Why an umpire between teammates and the opposing F1, not between teammates and the BR.

I would guess that it's to watch for any unsporting conduct, taunting, etc. and generally to prevent problems at the end of the game.

tcarilli Mon May 05, 2008 08:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron
Rich, I don't think that was the question. Why an umpire between teammates and the opposing F1, not between teammates and the BR.

I would guess that it's to watch for any unsporting conduct, taunting, etc. and generally to prevent problems at the end of the game.

NCAA rule requires players that were not on base to stay out of the dirt circle after a home run. That's why the umpire was where he was. This is precisely to keep the offensive team away from the defensive team, in particular the catcher and pitcher.

Rich Ives Mon May 05, 2008 09:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron

He's positioned where he can see any infraction.

BigTex Mon May 05, 2008 10:27am

Rotation

Without knowing where the baserunners were, this may have been a rotation situation. If there was a runner on first, and nobody went out on the homerun, PU would have gone to third, and 1B would have covered the plate. I would guess that he just happened to stop between the players and the plate. He was there on a rotation to watch for the touch of the plate, that's all.