The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Attention Rookies (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/43497-attention-rookies.html)

David B Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rngrck
Bob - Ok, here's an example of a obnoxious reply to a stupid question in which I wanted some clarification or different view points.
See "Ozzy 6900 " reply dated 3/28/08 at 8:43 A.M. I tried to copy the post here but couldn't. My topic was called "Batter's Hands".

Sorry but I see nothing obnoxious. As you stated it was a stupid question and upon reading further I didn't understand what you were asking either.

Then I read your reply of

"Well I got news for you!! I had a batter extending hands so far over the plate, that the pitcher complained he couldn't see F2's target. Well, I agreed and had the batter back off the hands."

That's fine, but if you could just put a reference with your ruling etc.,

Amazing but in my 27+ years I just haven't come across this type of incident.

Thanks
David

mick Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:48am

Quote:

DA , does the word "Crazy" ring a bell?

DA ?
And you say others aren't playing nicely ?

mbyron Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:52am

rngrck, if you're really a newer official seeking advice, I would offer 2 relevant pieces.

1. Learn to distinguish personal from non-personal comments. For instance, when I make a call, sometimes a coach says: "That's a terrible call!" Maybe so! Maybe the coach had a better angle than I did. Maybe I just blew it. He's entitled to his opinion of the call. But if he says, "You're terrible," well that's personal and he's got to go. Ozzy's comment in the thread you cited was not personal.

2. Learn the rules and enforce them. Newer officials in many sports get in trouble when they stop players from doing something because "that's just not how to play the game." Maybe so, but it's a coach's job to correct that, not yours. This advice can be hard to follow for people who played a sport and are passionate about it being played correctly. Such people can find it hard to limit themselves to enforcing the rules.

As a friend of mine says, advice is the cheapest thing. But that's mine.

jicecone Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:58pm

Quote:

And when I'm in the big leagues, I for sure won't forget the little people.

Well one thing for sure, if you can't take a little from people that you can't see or for that matter never see, how are you going to handle the abuse your gonna get trying to make it to the "big leagues" ,from people standing in front of you?

They are certainly not going to sugarcoat anything when you get to camp.

I truly wish you the best in your endeavors to strive for a level many of us will never realize however, your gonna have to toughen up if your gonna make it.

This forum is NOTHING more than a learning tool. Many here take it much more seriouly than it is. (and at times that has included me)

However, as with any tool, YOU, have to make the final decision how helpful it is to you and then move on. If you can't handle that, then officiating is probably not made for you.

Good Luck

oyaisee Tue Apr 15, 2008 03:13pm

Why would you delete my comment about replacement umpires?

here let me restate it in better terms.........

I believe a large reason why people get attacked at this website is because a large number of the "big dawgs" here were replacement umpires during a UNION labor disagreement. In my opinion these people do not care about other umpires and they are only in it for themselves. By not cultivating the younger umpires they do not have to worry about some one passing them in the food chain.

They put people down just so they feel better!

Sorry if the truth hurts who ever deleted my post.....

mick Tue Apr 15, 2008 03:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by oyaisee
Why would you delete my comment about replacement umpires?

here let me restate it in better terms.........

I believe a large reason why people get attacked at this website is because a large number of the "big dawgs" here were replacement umpires during a UNION labor disagreement. In my opinion these people do not care about other umpires and they are only in it for themselves. By not cultivating the younger umpires they do not have to worry about some one passing them in the food chain.

They put people down just so they feel better!

Sorry if the truth hurts who ever deleted my post.....

I deleted it. I found the wording distasteful.
The restatement is, like you said, "better".

Please know that the truth doesn't hurt me, not even a little.

In your statement it seems you have written that you "believe", and then you imply it is the "truth".
Is your belief really the truth ?
Do you truely believe ?
You have shown your belief.
Can you show the truth ?

oyaisee Tue Apr 15, 2008 03:56pm

so this proves that the word SCAB is offensive

GOOD

I'm glad you see it the way I do Scab = distastefully

There are a lot of folks that believe and KNOW what I'm talking about.... We know what kind of umpires these "big Dawgs" are...

mick Tue Apr 15, 2008 04:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by oyaisee
so this proves that the word SCAB is offensive

GOOD

I'm glad you see it the way I do Scab = distastefully

There are a lot of folks that believe and KNOW what I'm talking about.... We know what kind of umpires these "big Dawgs" are...

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/fr...smiley-013.gif