The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 17, 2008, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

For Big Dogs and FED Rule Interpreters (Local and otherwise)

Men,

I am making up a series of quizzes on FED rules for a blog I am involved with for our local association.

I have a list of questions I am working from, but I thought I would open up the floor to others. I would like some questions which deal with concrete plays an umpire will see on the field, not some half-baked ruling on a rare play from a FED test or the Casebook.

I am looking for practical questions to raise the BB rules IQ of the average FED umpire.

Any quizzes or questions appreciated! And I thank you for your help!
Old Tue Mar 18, 2008, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

R1, no outs. BR hits routine double play ball to F6. Which umpire watches for FPSR violations? Or: describe the mechanics for each umpire on this play.

[too easy? try this one:]

R3, one out. (A) Runner goes on the pitch: squeeze play. BR lunges to bunt, misses, and straddles the plate as he blocks F2's attempt to tag the runner. What's the call? (B) Same play, but this time F2 reaches over the plate to receive the pitch before BR offers -- what's the call now?

Also, you might get some ideas from this online rules quiz:
http://www.macroweb.com/ibrules/
Old Tue Mar 18, 2008, 08:37am
Stop staring at me swan.

In my opinion the tough scenarios are the ones you want on the test...anybody can call out/safe/fair/foul/ball/strike...because when they happend on the field your guys can get them right.
Old Tue Mar 18, 2008, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire
Men,

I am making up a series of quizzes on FED rules for a blog I am involved with for our local association.

I have a list of questions I am working from, but I thought I would open up the floor to others. I would like some questions which deal with concrete plays an umpire will see on the field, not some half-baked ruling on a rare play from a FED test or the Casebook.

I am looking for practical questions to raise the BB rules IQ of the average FED umpire.

Here are a few that have come up over the past couple of years for myself.

1) Batter hits sharp grounder to F5, F5 overthrows first base, B/R rounds first base and goes to 2nd. There is no throw to 2nd base, however, F3 comes to bag and applies fake tag forcing the runner into an un-necessary slide. Whats the ruling and where to put the Runner?

2) R2 and R1, less than two outs. IFF in effect. Batter hits sharp line drive to F3, who initially gloves the ball, then carefully guides the ball to the gound infront of them. Whats the ruling and place the runners?

3) No one on base, Batter hits deep fly ball to left center, B/R rounds first and collides with F3 who is oblivious to the B/R. B/R continues onto 2nd base where they is a close tag applied and the B/R is obviously put out. Whats the ruling and place the runners?

4) No one on base, Batter contacts the catchers glove on the swing and subsequently hits deep fly ball to left center, B/R rounds first and continues onto 2nd where they are put out in a close play. Whats the ruling and place the runners?

Hope these help in your endeavor.
Old Tue Mar 18, 2008, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire
Men,

If doing a series, you might try doing each series on a different section of the book. That's what I've done in the past and seems to help them stay focused on one section of rules instead of jumping around.

I will do a pitching quiz, then the batter, then the runner, then administration etc., mixing in mechanics with them.

As far ad questions I agree, the umpires tend to forget the easy things:

I read a newpaper article last week in a game where it stated the umpire called an out for a player removing the helmet. Immediately i just cringed because that's not FED rules.

Another area that's prone to review is obstruction by BR - many umpires don't know the penalties, and of course always a few questions on BOO.

Those are some things that can and will actually happen in a game etc.,

Thansk
David
Old Tue Mar 18, 2008, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

I like these kind
True or False and .....
Runners must be given the opportunity to complete their baserunning responsibilities before a dead ball appeal can be made.
A) 8-2-5 Pen
B) 8-4-1
These make you look up the rules and READ this helps make better umpires!!!!
Old Tue Mar 18, 2008, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Anything to do with DP/Flex, illegal or un-reported subs and batting out of order is usually good for a few questions.

You can also devise some questions revolving around base awards on batted balls and thrown balls.

Also cover balks and illegal pitches.
Old Tue Mar 18, 2008, 12:10pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000
Anything to do with DP/Flex
Isn't DP/FLEX a softball thing? "Not that there's anything wrong with that."
Old Tue Mar 18, 2008, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B
Another area that's prone to review is obstruction by BR - many umpires don't know the penalties, and of course always a few questions on BOO.
I recommend avoiding trick questions for newer umpires.
Old Tue Mar 18, 2008, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe
Isn't DP/FLEX a softball thing? "Not that there's anything wrong with that."
Forgive me, I had just bounced over from the softball threads. You are right. I should have stated anything to do with the DH (designated hitter).