The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 23, 2002, 01:12am
Official Forum Member

Is there such a thing as Momentary Time? The ORB is clear about the situations when we must call Time, and the necessary requirements in order to put the ball back in play. It is my sense that even when the plate ump, or any other ump for that matter, extends his arm forward with his palm away from him like a traffic cop, that this is actually calling or signaling for Time. Typically, we just want the pitcher to give the batter a little extra time. It might be used for a momentary aid to the catcher while he clears dirt form his face or slightly adjusts his gear.

The problem arises with base runners. And I sense this is a bigger problem with JV and lower with runners. What is your call if the the runner takes off and steals? ...or is caught stealing? ... or the pitcher obeys your hand but then disengages with the wrong foot or other wise balks? Base ump puts up his hand to allow runner to tie his shoe at the end of a play, but never actually calls time, only to have the alert fielder tag him out.

Seems like the only way to avert disaster is to consider even momentary pauses as an actual time out, and put the ball back in play with at least the point of your finger, and better yet by verbalizing Play.

Can anyone site an actual rule, case, or recognized guidance?
Old Sat Feb 23, 2002, 02:28am
Official Forum Member

Since you spoke of "JV" games, I'm going to assume that you are using Fed rules.

See 5-1-1h which explains that the ball is dead when what is called the "do not pitch" signal is given by the umpire.

The ball is dead in OBR also, and in either case must be put back into play before anything can happen.

Roger Greene

[Edited by Roger Greene on Feb 23rd, 2002 at 01:38 AM]
Old Sat Feb 23, 2002, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

When you hold up your hand, that means time out, and time out is all over the field, not local, and not momentary.

In slow pitch, it's very common for the PU to hold up his hand between pitches and then drop it when the batter is ready. That's not really necessary for the game, but umps do it to prevent disputes over quick pitches. (Slow pitch pitchers are ever looking for some way to disconcert the batter.) Umps around here (NJ) usually raise their hand between pitches in fast pitch, too.

When moving to baseball, it's often hard for me to remember not to raise that hand, but if it's up, it's the same as if I announced "time out," and any play that happens has to be nullified. The main thing then is to be vigilant about quick pitches.

I'm glad you reminded me about this issue. This year, I'm going to try to keep the hand down in SP and FP softball, too. The pitcher must still wait for the batter to get set.
Old Sat Feb 23, 2002, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

I raise my hand from time to time in a game just as you described, for a catcher to adjust his equipment, batter to tie shoes, slow down a quick pitcher, etc. It is definitely a time out without having to verbalize "time", it is momentary in the sense you only have time for a few seconds. But I always say "play" and/or point a finger to put the ball back in play.
Old Sun Feb 24, 2002, 11:32pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the input. I suspected this was the case at all times. And the actual rule statement in the Fed rule book is great.

Seems the more experience some guys in our organization have, the less likely they are at some of these basic items. Especially if they have only done high school.

What is a good way to diplomatically point out, that even after it was well discussed in the pre-game, that the far more experienced plate ump is ignoring putting the ball back in play?
Old Mon Feb 25, 2002, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ump20
Call Time Sparingly

Quote:
Originally posted by phillycheese
I raise my hand from time to time in a game just as you described, for a catcher to adjust his equipment, batter to tie shoes, slow down a quick pitcher, etc. It is definitely a time out without having to verbalize "time", it is momentary in the sense you only have time for a few seconds. But I always say "play" and/or point a finger to put the ball back in play.
By all means in baseball you don't want a pitcher to deliver when the batter is not ready. It is a safety issue as well as a hornet's nest of controversy. Some umpires i/m/h/o needlessly call Time whenever the batter raises his hand. I tell the batter "...get ready. I won't let him pitch until you're set." I then only call Time if I see the pitcher preparing to pitch when the batter is still not set. Jim/NYC
Old Mon Feb 25, 2002, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

Makes sense Jim, I guess no need for time if the pitcher doesn't seem to be about to deliver a pitch. Usually they are standing on the mound and eager as a beaver. But I deal with mainly 12-under. But you make a good point.
Old Wed Feb 27, 2002, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Quote:
Originally posted by phillycheese
Makes sense Jim, I guess no need for time if the pitcher doesn't seem to be about to deliver a pitch. Usually they are standing on the mound and eager as a beaver. But I deal with mainly 12-under. But you make a good point.
In my opinion, it is even more important for umpires at the 12-under level to avoid using their hand. We must teach those pitchers that it is their responsibility to wait for the batter to be more than just in the box, but ready for the pitch, before delivering. They must show at least the smallest bit of responsibility with a deadly missle in their hands.

I teach young umpires not to use their hand, but remain extra-alert and aware in case the pitcher is that eager beaver. Should the pitcher appear as though he is about to quick-pitch, I teach our umpires to step away from the plate (on the unoccupied side) calling, "Time," very loudly. The object, of course, is to get the pitcher to stop his delivery so no one gets hurt.

In my experience, if the pitcher is so eager that he fails to notice the batter is not ready, he will also be so eager that he will fail to notice your hand, too. It's much better to remain alert to possible quick pitches, and then stop the game and instruct the pitcher, "You must wait for the batter to be ready and not just in the box. Okay?"

Anytime everyone's focus is on the pitcher for not thinking, that will motivate him to think the next time. It works. I promise.