The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Ball Deflects Off Pitcher Then Hits Umpire (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/41740-ball-deflects-off-pitcher-then-hits-umpire.html)

cshs81 Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:31am

Ball Deflects Off Pitcher Then Hits Umpire

Odd scenario (admittedly):

Hit ball deflects off pitchers glove, hits base umpire in shoulder, then is deflected to a fielder without ever touching the ground. Is the batter out at the point of the catch or is this treated as a ground ball once it hits the ump?

UmpJM Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:39am

cshs81,

After hitting the umpire, the ball is no longer "in flight" and cannot, therefore, be legally caught for an out.

That's a live ball, play the bounce.

JM

bossman72 Sat Feb 09, 2008 01:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM)
cshs81,

After hitting the umpire, the ball is no longer "in flight" and cannot, therefore, be legally caught for an out.

That's a live ball, play the bounce.

JM

Additionally, it is not umpire interference since it was deflected by the pitcher. Live ball, nobody is out.

Richard_Siegel Sun Feb 10, 2008 08:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by cshs81
Odd scenario (admittedly):

Hit ball deflects off pitchers glove, hits base umpire in shoulder, then is deflected to a fielder without ever touching the ground. Is the batter out at the point of the catch or is this treated as a ground ball once it hits the ump?

When a pitched, deflected or thrown ball touches and umpire, or when a batted ball, outside of the one case of umpire interference, touches the base umpire it is nothing! It is just as if the ball touched the ground. There is a not-so-kind saying about this situation: The umpire is dirt.

RPatrino Sun Feb 10, 2008 02:05pm

A very improbable situation as you admitted. If there is a person who is so slow as to not be able to avoid a deflected ball, then there are other issues to be dealt with here.

gordon30307 Tue Feb 12, 2008 05:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPatrino
A very improbable situation as you admitted. If there is a person who is so slow as to not be able to avoid a deflected ball, then there are other issues to be dealt with here.

Beg to differ with you here. Improbable, not likely I agree. U1 in A position about 2 or 3 feet behind first baseman. U1 in foul territory. Screaming liner hooking toward the line:eek: deflecting off the glove of 1B and hitting U1. I could see it happening.

MajorDave Tue Feb 12, 2008 06:16pm

Yessir to playing dodgeball while in A position

I have had to duck, dodge, dive,.... more than one at A position with a left handed batter pulling it down the line. Never been hit but have seen my share scream by my ear/knee/torso...

DG Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:11pm

Matrix

I am watching a Matrix rerun and I can recall many times when I watched one go by my head or my feet as if in slow motion as I gently dodged. Never been hit, knock on wood.