The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   advice (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/4043-advice.html)

ref5678 Thu Feb 07, 2002 10:53pm

My name is Dylan Ferguson I'm 14 years old and a pretty good umpire. But I'm only starting out so i was wondering if any of you more experienced umpires had any tips, advice, or information you could pass along to a new umpire.

Dakota Fri Feb 08, 2002 11:54am

Get an experienced umpire to "mentor" you (call games with you and criticize your performance).
Read the rule book.
Study the rule book.
Read it again.
Get a case book for the level of ball you are calling.
Study the case book.
Practice your mechanics.
Attend an umpire school.

Visit the web site below...

http://www.amateurumpire.com/others/index.htm

JJ Fri Feb 08, 2002 10:22pm

Read your umpires manuals. Go to games and watch experienced umpires work. Then corner them after the game and ask them to explain why they did the things they did if you didn't understand, and ask them for tips. Then go back and re-read your umpires manuals. Then repeat.

bluezebra Sun Feb 10, 2002 12:58am

Study and learn the definitions. If you understand the definitions, it will help you understand the other rules.

Welcome to the family, and GOOD LUCK.

And, NEVER takea coach's or manager's word on a ruling.

Bob

kman Sun Feb 10, 2002 03:59am

have fun

I've only been an ump for two years and it is one of the best things i've ever done. I think you have to find what works for you and what doesnt so ill keep it simple:

1. have fun

I hope you find it very rewarding and you have a lot of success. Its awesome.

ref5678 Mon Feb 11, 2002 06:08pm

thanks for the response guys. and i was wondering if any of you new of any umpire schools/clincs that would take a 14 year old ump

PeteBooth Tue Feb 12, 2002 08:40am

<i> Originally posted by ref5678 </i>

<b> My name is Dylan Ferguson I'm 14 years old and a pretty good umpire. But I'm only starting out so i was wondering if any of you more experienced umpires had any tips, advice, or information you could pass along to a new umpire. </b>

1. Even though you are only 14, when your on the Field you should be treated with respect just as an adult umpire should get. One of the main problems with Managers / Coaches when they see a young Blue umpiring one of their games is that they tend to look at the AGE and not the individual so they think they can intimidate you. DON'T LET THAT HAPPEN.

2. As another poster suggested, find an adult umpire whom you respect and have that person Mentor you. Also, it's very important that the league in which you umpire in supports the men / women and young adults. I had some teenagers come up to me in tears because of the abuse they took. No League should ever let that happen.

3. One of the main problems with Young Blues is that they know most of the players. Remember, when your out there on the Field you are neutral and except for your partner - YOU HAVE NO FREINDS. I know this from experience as I have umpired my own sons / daughter's game and it wasn't a pleasant experience.

4. As far as training goes, I believe you have to be an adult or at least be accompanied by one to attend the <i> away schools </i> In addition, you might need parental consent as well, but I am not an attorney, so perhaps others can answer your training question as it relates to <i> going away and staying at a particular facility </i>.

The one thing I do know is that the local leagues normally put on mini clinics and you are allowed to attend those.

Good Luck!

Pete Booth

Rita C Tue Feb 12, 2002 11:40pm

The Little League umpire schools will take minors as far as I know. There was at least one at WR.

Rita

kylejt Wed Feb 13, 2002 12:19pm

Darn! I called WR last year to if my 13 year old son to attend the Umpire School with me, and they said no, adults only. They do have a Junior Umpire School in June though.

Our league has a great Junior Umpire program for 12 year olds and up. My son has learned more about baseball and life umpiring than anything he's done with a bat and ball.
Dylan, keep up the good work, and never stop reading and asking questions. Just by asking for help tells me you're on the right track.

Kyle

Rita C Wed Feb 13, 2002 12:30pm

Kyle,

The minor there was 17. I assumed minors were allowed since there was a standard medical release for minors included in the packet. An umpire I work with here attended when he was 14 but that was ten years ago. So I can't tell you what WR policy truly is in the matter.

Rita

Doug Wed Feb 13, 2002 05:18pm

wow, that is interesting, that they wouldn't let you attend. I started officiating when I was 14 and went to 5 camps while still a minor, none ever turned me down. my advice would be to have fun and do NOT have rabbit ears. As some may know, I am a novice to baseball (1st year) but this has been my expierence in my other 4 sports, good luck!

Doug