The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 07, 2002, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to abergman Send a message via Yahoo to abergman
Angry

I have been umpiring under OBR or slight moderations for the last year and now I am going to be doing some FED games. I received my rulebooks today and they are written completely different. Also, I bought a copy of the Baseball Rule Differences and this book is almost 400 pages. Any suggestions on how to adjust and keep track of the different styles? Also, what should I focus on. Thanks ahead of time.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2002, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

I have done a little Fed, but mainly OBR. I went to this web site and printed out a basic difference list. It is only 3 pages.

http://www.amateurumpire.com/others/rs/rs12.htm

Try that...it helped
Old Thu Feb 07, 2002, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by abergman

I have been umpiring under OBR or slight moderations for the last year and now I am going to be doing some FED games. I received my rulebooks today and they are written completely different. Also, I bought a copy of the Baseball Rule Differences and this book is almost 400 pages. Any suggestions on how to adjust and keep track of the different styles? Also, what should I focus on. Thanks ahead of time.

In the back of the FED rule book there is a section marked MAJOR RULES DIFFERENCIES. The section lists the FED Rule and the OBR counterpart.

what should I focus on.

I focused on one section at a time.

Meaning assume today is Monday. On Monday I would read the pitching regulations both in OBR and FED. Jot down the differencies using the BRD as reference. The internet is a great place to ask questions if you still do not understand or need further clarification etc.

I would go section by section. I know it sounds time consuming, but if you do it a little at a time it really doesn't take that long.

As mentioned, if you are "foggy" on an issue you can always ask on the internet for more clarification. BTW IMO, once you get a good grasp of FED rules, you will grow fond of them.

After doing my home-work , I then took the FED Test and answerd the questions for OBR, conversely I would take OBR tests that I had and answered them using FED.

As with anything it takes practice.

Side Note: before starting the game make certain the set of rules you are using. Example; I umpired a HS game and then rushed to help out my local LL organization (OBR based)

Wouldn't you know it, the first time Team A had a runner on first, F1 turned his shoulders (while on the rubber) to "check" him. I called Balk and as soon as the words came out of my mouth I realized I wasn't doing a FED game. In OBR it's ok to check the runner in the aforementioned manner.

Good Luck!

Pete Booth
Old Thu Feb 07, 2002, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Two Page Word Document

I have a two page Word Document that was handed out at our association meeting. It has identified 25 MAJOR differences along with an brief description and rule reference. If you are interested send me your EMail address.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2002, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

I do both every year. The best advise I can give you is treat it like another language. I suggest that you don't try to translate between the two. When you do a FED game, block out the OBR in your head and vice-versa until you become comfortable. It takes a couple of years to be able to float between the two. Take the time to read the BRD especialy if you are going to do both types of games. One last thing, remember that a balk in FED is an immediate dead ball. Nothing can happen after the call of "balk". (Unlike OBR where the pitcher can deliver after the call of "balk" and the batter can hit a home run.)

Good Luck
Old Thu Feb 14, 2002, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Text of Major HS Rules Differences

I have received requests to EMail the document but some of you have not updated your Email address. As a result, the EMail gets returned. Here is the text of the document:

Major High School Rule Differences (Expect RI & MA)

1. If a batting helmet is deliberately removed in live-ball territory and the ball alive, issue a team warning to the coach. The next violation is an ejection. A player warming up a pitcher must wear a head protector and a mask with a throat protector while in the crouch position, even outside the confines of the field. Players coaching the bases must wear helmets. (Rule 1-1-5)

2. Casts, splints and braces must be padded. Jewelry, even if taped, is prohibited. Medical alert necklaces and bracelets are not considered jewelry and must be taped. (Rule 1-1-6)

3. A bat is illegal if its diameter is more than 2 5/8 inches or if it exceeds the “minus 3 differential” rule (i.e., a 33 inch long bat must weigh at least 30 ounces). (Rule 1-3-5) A batter is declared out if he enters the batter’s box with an illegal bat. If the illegal bat is discovered after his time at bat, but before the next pitch, the defense can take the penalty or the result of the play. (Rule 7-4-1a) Note that a cracked or dented bat is merely removed; there is no further penalty.

4. Umpires should check all bats and helmets of both teams before the game to remove bats that are cracked, dented, smooth or with a loose knob. Similarly helmets cannot be cracked or have padding missing. (Point of Emphasis on page 70)

5. An intentional base on balls can be given to a batter without pitching to him at the request of the opposing coach or catcher. This can be done at any time in the count. Declare the ball dead before making the award. (Rule 2-4-3)

6. Obstruction is always a delayed-dead ball. Under pro rules obstruction is an immediate-dead ball if the defense is playing on the obstructed runner or if the batter-runner is obstructed before he reaches first base. Note that obstruction can be either physical or verbal and that a fake tag is considered obstruction. (Rule 2-22)

7. An illegal player on offense is out and ejected. This supersedes the penalty for batting out of order. Thus there is only 1 out if an illegal substitute comes to bat. An illegal player on defense is ejected. An illegal player is generally a substitute who has already been in the game and been removed or a starter who was removed, re-entered, and then removed again. (Rule 3-1-1)

8. Re-entry of any starting player, including the designated hitter, is allowed into the same batting position. Thus a maximum of 10 players may be substituted for and later re-enter. Substitutes who are withdrawn may not re-enter. (Rule 3-1-3)

9. A designated hitter (DH) is allowed for any defensive player (and his substitutes on defense) as long as the DH is selected prior to the game. The DH and the player he hits for share one spot in the batting order - one plays defense and one plays offense. They cannot both be on defense at the same time and they cannot occupy two batting order spots. A team loses its DH if the DH plays defense or the player being hit for either pinch hits or pinch runs for the DH. (Rule 3-1-4)

10. Unsportsmanlike acts such as taunting, baiting, profanity, intimidation tactics and remarks reflecting unfavorably upon another person are prohibited. Either eject immediately, or if of a minor nature, issue a team warning to the coach and eject the next offender. (Rule 3-3-1g)

11. Coaches must be inside the dugout or bench area, unless they are base coaches or participating in a conference. Note that this rule is subject to some interpretation and may be changed slightly, but coaches cannot sit on chairs or buckets in live ball territory. (Rule 3-3-1j)

12. Coaches can be restricted to the dugout for the remainder of the game. Conferences with players must occur near the dugout door. They can leave the dugout to attend to an injured player or to break up a fight. (Rule 3-3-1j and Point of Emphasis on page 70)

13. Eject players who leave their positions or the bench for the purpose of fighting or physical confrontation. (Rule 3-3-1q)

14. A runner is out and the ball is dead if the runner does not legally slide and causes illegal contact or illegally alters the play. (Rule 8-4-2b) Read Rule 2-32 for the definition of an illegal slide. Note that if a runner goes into a base standing up and makes contact with the fielder or alters the play of the fielder, it is an illegal slide. On a force play the runner must slide in a direct line between the two bases (or away from the fielder). If he does not, the runner and the batter are declared out and any remaining runners return to the base occupied at the time of the pitch. If there is malicious contact, the runner is out and is also ejected. (Rule 3-3-1n).

15. Users of tobacco and tobacco-like products within the confines of the field are immediately ejected. (Rule 3-3-1p) Similarly, umpires are not to use tobacco or tobacco-like products on or in the vicinity of the playing field. (Rule 10-1-8)

16. During the pre-game conference, both teams must remain in the dugout or bullpen area until the meeting is completed. (Rule 2-10-2). Players loosening up to bat must remain in the on-deck circle while the pitcher is warming up. (Rule 3-3-3).

17. The defense is allowed 3 charged conferences in a 7 inning game (plus 1 per inning in extra-inning games, non-cumulative) without penalty. For any additional charged conferences, the pitcher must be removed (as the pitcher) for the duration of the game. A conference is not charged to check on an injury or if the pitcher is removed during the conference. (Rule 3-4-1) The offense is allowed 1 charged conference per inning. (Rule 3-4-2) The umpire-in chief is required to keep a written record of defensive and offensive conferences. (Rule 10-2-3j)

18. A 10 run rule after the losing team has batted 5 innings is mandatory (if adopted). (Rule 4-2-2)

19. A team must start with 9 players, but can continue playing with 8 players regardless of the reason for losing a player. When the vacant spot in the batting order occurs, declare an out. If an offensive player has to leave after reaching base, the most recent batter not on base runs for him. Once a team drops to 8 players, it cannot return to 9 players. (Rule 4-4-1f)

20. On a “do not pitch signal, the ball is dead. (Rule 5-1-1h)

21. The ball is dead immediately on a balk. It makes no difference if the pitcher continues with the pitch or not or if the batter hits it or not. There is no option to the offense. It is a “no pitch”. (Rules 5-1-1k & 2-28-2)

22. A pitcher balks if he turns his shoulders to look at a base while in contact with the rubber. This is true both before or after the pitcher takes his stretch in the set position. (Rule 6-1-1). A pitcher in the windup position may not step directly toward a base on a pick-off. It is a balk if he does not step back off the rubber first.

23. The batter must keep at least one foot in the batter’s box after a called strike or ball unless (1) he is forced out by the pitch or (2) the catcher misses the ball, makes a play or leaves the catcher’s box. The penalty is a called strike (ball remains alive). A strike is also called if the batter leaves the batter’s box before the pitch (both feet) unless the umpire calls time, the pitcher makes or feints a play, or the pitcher leaves the dirt area of the mound. The pitcher need not pitch and the ball remains alive. (Rule 7-3-1). Note that if the batter steps out of the batter’s box with both feet and the pitcher delivers the ball, the pitch is called a strike regardless of whether it was in the strike zone or not, and there is an additional strike for stepping out of the batter’s box. (Rule 6-2-4d)

24. A runner who misses a base or leaves too early on a caught fly ball is out on appeal by a defensive player or coach, even if the ball is dead. There is no need to tag the runner or the base, unless the ball is live and a play is in progress. The appeal must be made before the next pitch (not play).(Rule 8-2-5)

25. If a fielder leaves the field of play (with both feet) after catching a fly ball, the ball is dead and each runner is awarded one base. (Rule 8-3-3d)

[Edited by Mike M on Feb 15th, 2002 at 12:04 PM]
Old Thu Feb 14, 2002, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to abergman Send a message via Yahoo to abergman
Thumbs up

Thanks Mike
Old Thu Feb 14, 2002, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Re: Text of Major HS Rules Differences

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike M Major High School Rule Differences
Of course, you meant, "Major High School Rule Differences Everywhere Except Massachusetts and Rhode Island"

*grin*