The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   A Hit by Pitch First (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/38281-hit-pitch-first.html)

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Sep 16, 2007 07:36pm

A Hit by Pitch First

This afternoon I umpired an 18U Fall Baseball DH using NFHS rules. And I had a very unusual day behind the plate in the first game.

There was a player for the home team that struck out swinging in his first time at bat. The unusual thing was that the pitch came up and in on him and hit him while he was swinging at the pitch. Now is the really unusual thing that happened: In the bottom of the seventh inning of the same game, the same player came to the play and struck out swinging while getting hit with the pitch. I told him that I would be writing about him tonight on Officiating.com.

MTD, Sr.

mbyron Sun Sep 16, 2007 07:54pm

Didn't his coach ask you to send him to 1B?

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron
Didn't his coach ask you to send him to 1B?

Nope.

gordon30307 Mon Sep 17, 2007 07:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
This afternoon I umpired an 18U Fall Baseball DH using NFHS rules. And I had a very unusual day behind the plate in the first game.

There was a player for the home team that struck out swinging in his first time at bat. The unusual thing was that the pitch came up and in on him and hit him while he was swinging at the pitch. Now is the really unusual thing that happened: In the bottom of the seventh inning of the same game, the same player came to the play and struck out swinging while getting hit with the pitch. I told him that I would be writing about him tonight on Officiating.com.

MTD, Sr.

I have a better one. I didn't have the dish but my partner in a high school varsity game called the same batter out twice in the same game on a pitch that hit him. On both occaisions it was strike three. Yours is a good one though.

tibear Wed Sep 19, 2007 03:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by gordon30307
I have a better one. I didn't have the dish but my partner in a high school varsity game called the same batter out twice in the same game on a pitch that hit him. On both occaisions it was strike three. Yours is a good one though.

I'm not sure but are you thinking the batter should have got first base?? If so, your wrong.

Batter who swings at a pitch on third strike and is subsequently hit by the ball is automatically out (unless foul ball) and the ball is then immediate dead.

bobbybanaduck Wed Sep 19, 2007 04:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by gordon30307

Quote:

Originally Posted by tibear
I'm not sure but are you thinking the batter should have got first base?? If so, your wrong.

Batter who swings at a pitch on third strike and is subsequently hit by the ball is automatically out (unless foul ball) and the ball is then immediate dead.

i read this as a called strike three, not a swinging strike three, which would make the post make sense.

' e

tibear Wed Sep 19, 2007 04:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbybanaduck
i read this as a called strike three, not a swinging strike three, which would make the post make sense.

' e

Third strike called or swinging the batter is out and the ball is dead.

bobbybanaduck Wed Sep 19, 2007 04:49pm

i feel like you are missing the point of the post. the fact that the batter is out is not in question. the guy was simply stating that while the OP was an odd situation, in his game there was an even more odd situation in which a batter was called out strikes twice in the same game on pitches that hit him. maybe he was leaning over the plate, maybe the PU stunk...PU. maybe he should have put a smiley face on his post or something.:) :D

bobbybanaduck Wed Sep 19, 2007 04:50pm

hi garth.

tibear Wed Sep 19, 2007 06:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarthB
Since no one stated or argued otherwise...what's your point?

From the post, I wasn't sure if he thought it strange that the batter wasn't awarded first or it was strange that it happened in the first place.

gordon30307 Wed Sep 19, 2007 07:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tibear

Reading is a skill. IT WAS STRIKE THREE.

GarthB Wed Sep 19, 2007 07:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbybanaduck
hi garth.

Hi!