The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Future of Officiating (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/38173-future-officiating.html)

RPatrino Tue Sep 18, 2007 07:07pm

Somewhat definitive!!

fitump56 Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpa
Really, it comes down to the attitude of the senior and the junior -- either one can defeat the whole learning experience by coppiing an attitude.

That was rightly said and when I was a rook, and some Old Guard wanted to have an intensive pregame and concentrate on him trying to teach me how not to het him in trouble.

It was alike a long, boring lecture, Old Guuard bables about his being avaialble to me, any questions or if I'm getting in trouble (Translation: "Move over, Sonny, we don't want this to get out of hand"). Followed closely by how he will to speak in low tones over behind the water coolers when he thinks (knows) I have screwed the pooch. He will be there for me on judment calls ( yeah right) if I ask his advice.

<yeeeyawn>

Of course, if things (iho) might get out of hand, he will calmly whisper to me how to control all. Old Guard wants to control everything. Of course there is this litany of things where he just has to stick his nose in "for the good of the game and for your safety". :rolleyes:

Then the 8 yos would take the field. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

JJ Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:44pm

As the senior umpire in almost every game I work, I always offer my partner his choice of plate or bases. If he wants the plate it tells me he is aggressive and eager to show me what he has. If he wants the bases it tells me he is either unsure or he wants to watch (and learn from) me. If he has no preference, I do NOT automatically take the plate (though I do very much enjoy working the plate). I tell him I don't have a preference either, and pull out a coin. "Heads I do it, tails you do it". That removes "choice of the winner" which we've already gone through. I don't offer insight during the game UNLESS it's a major problem "Oh, you DON'T wear a ballbag on the bases?"... but I will ask after the game if he'd like feedback. If he says "No", we part ways. If he says "Yes" I give it to him straight. If I see several things that need work, I will tell him what I saw and I will always suggest he "work on ONE thing at a time" when making changes to the way he works. I say the same thing at clinics - work on ONE thing at a time. It's easier to master one thing and get comfortable and move on to the next item than it is to experiment with a bunch of changes.
That's me rambling....

JJ

Ump29 Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:36pm

In my area the games are assigned by an assigner who designates who does the plate. As one of those assigners I go along with this. If I am working with a less experienced partner I will offer advice on his/her work. Also there are very few solo games in this area - only if there are shortages on a particular night and only one is available to work that game.

DG Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ
I don't offer insight during the game UNLESS it's a major problem "Oh, you DON'T wear a ballbag on the bases?"... but I will ask after the game if he'd like feedback. If he says "No", we part ways. If he says "Yes" I give it to him straight. If I see several things that need work, I will tell him what I saw and I will always suggest he "work on ONE thing at a time" when making changes to the way he works. I say the same thing at clinics - work on ONE thing at a time. It's easier to master one thing and get comfortable and move on to the next item than it is to experiment with a bunch of changes.
That's me rambling....

JJ

I got feedback once from a D1 umpire working bases with me in a HS game (he had undergone surgery and had not been working lately). He gave me 5 things. I went to work on 4 of them and ignored the 5th because I couldn't agree on that one. My point is you should work on what needs working on, however many it is.

fitump56 Wed Sep 26, 2007 03:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ
As the senior umpire in almost every game I work, I always offer my partner his choice of plate or bases. If he wants the plate it tells me he is aggressive and eager to show me what he has. If he wants the bases it tells me he is either unsure or he wants to watch (and learn from) me.

Might be reading a lot into that JJ. I always prefrred the late plate. Easier to stay awake.
Quote:

If he has no preference, I do NOT automatically take the plate (though I do very much enjoy working the plate). I tell him I don't have a preference either, and pull out a coin. "Heads I do it, tails you do it". That removes "choice of the winner" which we've already gone through.
What happens if HE wants to do the flip?
Quote:

I don't offer insight during the game UNLESS it's a major problem "Oh, you DON'T wear a ballbag on the bases?"... but I will ask after the game if he'd like feedback. If he says "No", we part ways. If he says "Yes" I give it to him straight.
:eek:
Quote:

If I see several things that need work, I will tell him what I saw and I will always suggest he "work on ONE thing at a time" when making changes to the way he works. I say the same thing at clinics - work on ONE thing at a time. It's easier to master one thing and get comfortable and move on to the next item than it is to experiment with a bunch of changes.
That's me rambling....

JJ