The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 31, 2007, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

What to do?

I saw this while waiting for my game to begin. R3 one out. Flyball to F8 who catches and throws to try to get the tagging(?) runner. After the play, defensive coach instructs F1 to throw to F5. F5 steps on the base. This is where it gets interesting. BU points to PU while PU points to BU. PU then realizes that this was his call and signals "safe". Defensive coach questions the play, but of course it stands. What would you have done as BU in this situation where you know that your partner was not watching what he was supposed to be watching?
Old Fri Aug 31, 2007, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Assuming a two umpire system (you did not specify) the tag up at 3B is indeed the PU's responsiblity. That being said, I would never 'point' at my partner. Who did the offence look to? Again I am assuming that they looked to the BU.
As the BU - knowing that it was not my call (as I was watching the catch/no catch by F8) at best, when my partner made no call, I would call time to consult with him. I would then remind him that it was his call and let him make it. Now if he did not see the runner leave early, then he has to call it Safe. He would also have to deal with the Manager (Rat) if it was an obviouis blown call. Of course, as any good partner would, I would be there to support him.
Bet he doesn't make that boo boo again!
Old Fri Aug 31, 2007, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

For the sake of keeping our partnership from looking like idiots, I'd call safe. Then I'd discuss with partner asap (even if that means one of the dreaded between-inning talks), and partner buys the beer afterward.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Aug 31, 2007, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

As BU you have no choice but standing by the call your partner makes because you shouldn't have been looking at third base.

You only call an out when you SEE an out, in this case, neither umpire saw the violation so the runner is safe.
Old Fri Aug 31, 2007, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
i would pick up the nearest rock and throw it at him. hard.
Old Fri Aug 31, 2007, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpire99
What would you have done as BU in this situation where you know that your partner was not watching what he was supposed to be watching?
I would hesitate to allow time for my partner to do or say something, when he did not, I wouldn't hang him out, I would made the call, loudly, as if it were mine. If a coach came out complaining it was not my call, I would tell him I was making it.

Afterward, in the dressing room or parking lot, I'd kick my partner in the balls.
Old Fri Aug 31, 2007, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
This is why I advocate when you know an appeal is coming to just give a little point to your partner or give him an indication you got it.

Of course this is PUs, but there are some instances with multiple runners where this little trick can be handy.

Very subtly, while coach is yelling APPEAL APPEAL APPEAL! just give a little point as your hands are by your side to let your partner know its his.

And still kick him in the balls after the game.
Old Fri Aug 31, 2007, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

I have one partner that I work with very frequently. When we are on the dish and this arises, we will yell to BU "I've got the tag." Of course we know PU is supposed to have the tag, but it emphasizes the point and it lets the Rats know who to ask (which has nothing to do with why we say it).

In this sitch (forgetting what I just said) - as BU I think I would tell the coach that his is not my call (if he's asking me directly). If it's just a live ball appeal, which this seems to be, I'd wait for PU to make it; then if he gave no indication, I'd make the call - then we'd have to have a talk about it. Of course, I'd give him time to catch his breath after kicking him in the balls.
Old Fri Aug 31, 2007, 04:45pm

Ouch!!!!

I'm sure glad I don't have to work with you guys. Y'all like to kick the balls too much!!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Aug 31, 2007, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Don't think I want to work with them either!!
If I was the one who booted the call....would not want to get kicked there!
Would not be suprised if my partner put me on the 'do not assign' list.....because if this kind of thing happened often I certainly would do it to some one else!!!
Old Fri Aug 31, 2007, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
just for the record, i never said i would kick him in the balls. just wanted that to be clear.
Old Fri Aug 31, 2007, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

I had this happen to me in a Legion game where I was the BU. As already stated here, I am watching for catch/no catch and PU has tag of R3, just as discussed in pre-game. (Sometimes I swear, it does no good to have a pre-game if your partner just nods his head and then does whatever. That is probably where I should have kicked him and woke him up.)

Coach comes out and appeals tag and my DEAR partner points to me. Well about all I could say for sure was that the runner crossed the plate and tagged it. Thats it. Walked over to my partner and politly asked him what he saw, "nothing" was his answer. Great. Thats two of us.

Being the senior guy I went over to the coach and said he could either start yelling now or accept the fact that neither of us saw the tag and therefore R3is safe.

Coach said "I can't believe this crap", turned around and walked back to the dugout. I wasn't as nice to my partner after the game as the coach was to us.
Old Fri Aug 31, 2007, 10:22pm

I don't want any rocks hitting me either!!!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Aug 31, 2007, 10:26pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by umpire99
BU points to PU while PU points to BU
Safe, if no one saw it.
Old Mon Sep 03, 2007, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

I guess if I am working with these guys I get my ball bag off in a hurry, throw it down on the ground and let them kick it all over the parking lot. After they are done I pick up the balls, give them back to the home team's coach and tell him thanks.