The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Purple Buttons???? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/37386-purple-buttons.html)

Julio Caliente Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:28am

Purple Buttons????

I am going to probably get dragged over the coals for this, but here goes.....

I was cleaning/looking over my gear last night since I have a few weeks before fall ball starts and I noticed one of my shirts now has purple buttons. This shirt was new at the start of this season. Has this happened to anybody before? I do not use bleach or any bleach alternative on them, but they do get dried (not my pants though) in the drier.

I can post up pics when I get home if nobody knows what I am talking about.

Gaff Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:04am

Purple buttons???

Purple buttons and heather pink slacks. The perfect fashon ensemble. :D

Julio Caliente Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaff
Purple buttons???

Purple buttons and heather pink slacks. The perfect fashon ensemble. :D

That would look great with my man purse or leather ball bags. :D :D :D

BretMan Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:13pm

You're not alone and I feel your pain...

I have a powder blue shirt that had the buttons go from light blue to light purple in the course of one season. Strangely, another shirt of the same brand and about the same age has not changed.

Someone told me this is caused by a sunlight/UV reaction in the plastic.

bob jenkins Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julio Caliente
I am going to probably get dragged over the coals for this, but here goes.....

I was cleaning/looking over my gear last night since I have a few weeks before fall ball starts and I noticed one of my shirts now has purple buttons. This shirt was new at the start of this season. Has this happened to anybody before? I do not use bleach or any bleach alternative on them, but they do get dried (not my pants though) in the drier.

I can post up pics when I get home if nobody knows what I am talking about.

that's a problem with some shirt brands. It's fading from the sun.

get new buttons or shirts

umpduck11 Wed Aug 08, 2007 06:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BretMan
You're not alone and I feel your pain...

I have a powder blue shirt that had the buttons go from light blue to light purple in the course of one season. Strangely, another shirt of the same brand and about the same age has not changed.

Someone told me this is caused by a sunlight/UV reaction in the plastic.

Is it a Teamwork brand shirt, by chance ?

Rcichon Wed Aug 08, 2007 07:37pm

I've found that the manufacturer will usually accomodate you and provide you with either new buttons or at least supplier info and color key for the buttons that go with your jersey[s].

But for God's sake please replace them soon lest someone think you a Smitty....:eek:

DG Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:30pm

Quote:

I assume you are looking at navy shirts. Replace the buttons with Navy if you don't like the look of purple.

I don't put my shirts in the drier, I hang them up. But I dry pants, so I guess we are bass ackwards.

Julio Caliente Thu Aug 09, 2007 06:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG
I assume you are looking at navy shirts. Replace the buttons with Navy if you don't like the look of purple.

I don't put my shirts in the drier, I hang them up. But I dry pants, so I guess we are bass ackwards.

Heck, I have no idea about what to dry or hang. Maybe next year I will just hang everything.

Thanks to everybody for all the tips/ideas

ozzy6900 Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:05am

Oh, I just can't resist!

My umpire clothing is washed seperatly from the regular wash. I put shirts and pants in the dryer! Shirts are Cliff Keen and the pants are Fechheimer.

Here's the difference:
  1. Buy quality equipment and clothing.
  2. Don't keep the uniforms in sunlight on the back seat.
  3. Don't just toss everything in the trunk till the next game. it usually mixes with the antifreeze on the floor!
Like I said, I just couldn't help myself! :D :D

Julio Caliente Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzy6900
Oh, I just can't resist!

I know, my threads amuse you :cool: :cool: :cool:

Quote:

[*]Buy quality equipment and clothing.

My pants are Fechheimer, but I am not sure what brand this shirt is off the top of my head.

Quote:

Don't keep the uniforms in sunlight on the back seat.

I dont do that either.

Quote:

Don't just toss everything in the trunk till the next game.

I rotate shirts so I have a fresh on for each game (that si why it amused me that 1 of my shirts has purple buttons). The used one get folded and put in plastic bag in my trunk. At the end of the day everything gets washed together except for my UA stuff since your not supposed to fabric softener on them (don't know why).

ozzy6900 Thu Aug 09, 2007 06:54pm

Quote:

I know, my threads amuse you :cool: :cool: :cool:

You should be honored! :D

I just spoke to my wife about your buttons (the ones on the shirt, wise a$$). She used to be a seamstress in her former life (actually when she was younger). She said if the buttons were clear, somehow bleach or something caustic got to them. Odd that the material didn't discolor. If the buttons were opaque, then they were just dyed and the dye came out (most probable cause).

She suggested that you go to a sewing center and pick up replacement buttons. That should be fun!

Regards.

DG Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:58pm

Quote:

Heck, I have no idea about what to dry or hang. Maybe next year I will just hang everything.

I hang everything to dry, except pants and socks and they go in dryer. When it warms up I change to UA socks and I hang them also.

I might wear a pair of base pants twice before washing but I always wash plate pants after use.

Rcichon Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:33am

My stuff

goes to the dry cleaner. That's their problem to work out. When a problem pops up, they have it all worked out by the time I need it again.

What I pay them is a pittance compared to what we all pay for this stuff.

:cool: