The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 07, 2007, 07:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
Background Checks on MLB, MiLB Umps

Food for thought on MSNBC.com. Just passing it along.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20151060/

Telling comment at end by prexy of MiLB umps:

“If security of the game is truly what they’re interested in, one of the things they should start doing is making sure minor league umpires are paid decently,” Francis said. “You create a system where guys aren’t in debt for years. There’s a potential for bad things there, not that I feel any of my guys would do anything.”

ace
Old Tue Aug 07, 2007, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
Now fire back a response at PBUC.

Shaun has the right to be upset. The MiLB umpires do not work for MLB. In fact, MLB stopped supporting the MiLB umpires and PBUC in any way years ago.

If MLB now wants to exert any control over MiLB umpires both PBUC and the AMLU have the right to be involved and to seek some form of quid pro quo.

Edited to add:

In my original post, I was not speaking of AAA umpires who fill-in at the ML level. Those umpires, of course, do work for MLB, as least some of the time. However, I believe they still are represented by AMLU.

Last edited by GarthB; Tue Aug 07, 2007 at 04:06pm.
Old Tue Aug 07, 2007, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Major League Baseball needs to provide better support for their upcoming umpires, otherwise the Minor Leaguers who make it to the Major Leagues are going to abuse their position as well.
Old Tue Aug 07, 2007, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
Major League Baseball needs to provide better support for their upcoming umpires, otherwise the Minor Leaguers who make it to the Major Leagues are going to abuse their position as well.
Huh?
Old Tue Aug 07, 2007, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to NFump
You mean you didn't understand that? Here:

Quote:
Now do you get it?
Old Tue Aug 07, 2007, 02:29pm

Quote:
Please elaborate (I just can't wait) on which Major League umpires are abusing their position, and better yet, how they are abusing their position.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Aug 07, 2007, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Since this thread has turned to pointless drivel, I'll maybe right the ship.

The umpires are under a contract that can be renegotiated when it expires. The issue here isn't really more extensive background checks, its about MLB trying to get an upper hand and get the umpires to submit to something due to public opinion of them.

Why should the umpires cave? They know they have nothing to hide, why should they let MLB find that out and lose some of there bargaining power at the table? And thats just the first thing they'd lose. Consider what else Selig may be able to impose on them unwillingly... this is what unions and labor negotiations are for.
Old Tue Aug 07, 2007, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
Background checks on financial records, family and friends or neighbors.
Care to take a polygraph?
All thrown in with $12,000 annual salary.
IMO the real issue is having both sides clearly defining the scope of the background investigation. Once everyone knows what to expect the FUD blows away and it's business as usual.

TussAgee11 makes very valid points. Think about the potential circus a private investigator with no controls could instigate (Look at HP a few months ago).

This is something that could be negotiated in a couple of days, so long as MLB truly desires to do so. The rocket scientist at MLB may well force a merger between the umpire unions over this (AAA umpires are employees of PBUC & 'loaned' to MLB for fill-in). I would love to be a fly on the wall when Moore & Fitzpatrick figures that out!
Old Tue Aug 07, 2007, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

Lets not go berserk because of one NBA referee.
Old Tue Aug 07, 2007, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Those who go to professional umpire school--I'm a graduate of one myself--know full well what they're getting into and what to expect if they choose to attend pro school for a chance to become a professional umpire. If they're fortunate enough to (a) desire to become a pro, and (b) are selected to PBUC and on to the minors, they do so willingly. No one is forcing them to take a job that pays so little and demands so much.

There is, of course, nothing wrong with striving to improve one's working conditions (pay, benefits, etc.), but to whine about it when one willingly accepted such conditions is disingenuous and stupid. The conditions of a Minor League Umpire are well-known. Among these conditions, one that they share with Major League Umpires, is a background check of some sort. At the Major League level, such checks should be more thorough and scrutinizing. MLB umpires should be watched more closely. Heck, many moons ago in umpire school current MLB umps and MLB officials visited us reminding us of how professional umpires, especially MLB ones, lived their lives in a fish bowl. Since that's the case, they should expect nothing less than intense scrutiny. After all, much is at stake at the level at which they work.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 01:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
My point is that MiLB umps work for such peanuts, that they probably have stretched their credit to the max. IMHO, harsh scurinty here will find plenty o' dirt.

Let's discourage more people from entering the profession.

ace
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
Lets not go berserk because of one NBA referee.
theres no reaction like OVERreaction!
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceholleran
My point is that MiLB umps work for such peanuts, that they probably have stretched their credit to the max. IMHO, harsh scurinty here will find plenty o' dirt.

Let's discourage more people from entering the profession.

ace
The players, once you get past the first round picks, aren't exactly getting rich either.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

this aint new news, folks:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...26/ai_95206307