The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   BR running backwards (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/37029-br-running-backwards.html)

yorkboy33 Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:00am

BR running backwards

I had a situation this weekend at a tournament where the B bunted the ball down the first base line. The pitched fielded the ball in fair territory and proceeded to tag BR out. BR stopped running and started to run backwards toward home plate. I was working the bases and noticed my partner was not making a call so I called him out. Later on my partner told me it was the wrong call. I was always told that a BR cannot run backwards between home and first, however, I could not find a rule to backup my claim. The only rule I found that was close to it was at the end of the base running section that stated a "runner cannot run in reverse order to confuse the opponent or make a mockery of the game." Any help would be greatly appreciated.

greymule Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:08am

You should indicate what code you were playing under.

In any case, that's a softball rule about the BR stepping backward to avoid or delay a tag. NCAA and ASA, probably Fed, too, and others.

Maybe some baseball code (LL?) has that rule, but I doubt it.

I was always told that a BR cannot run backwards between home and first

Do you have a rule book?

fitump56 Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by yorkboy33
I had a situation this weekend at a tournament where the B bunted the ball down the first base line. The pitched fielded the ball in fair territory and proceeded to tag BR out. BR stopped running and started to run backwards toward home plate.

Liberally apply any rule that you wish including Unsporstmanlike Conduct, INT, etc.

Then require B to apply a big red nose to his shnoggin and wear size 75 XXXXXXXXXWWWWWW clown shoes for each plate appearence.

bob jenkins Mon Jul 30, 2007 07:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by yorkboy33
I had a situation this weekend at a tournament where the B bunted the ball down the first base line. The pitched fielded the ball in fair territory and proceeded to tag BR out. BR stopped running and started to run backwards toward home plate. I was working the bases and noticed my partner was not making a call so I called him out. Later on my partner told me it was the wrong call. I was always told that a BR cannot run backwards between home and first, however, I could not find a rule to backup my claim. The only rule I found that was close to it was at the end of the base running section that stated a "runner cannot run in reverse order to confuse the opponent or make a mockery of the game." Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Greymule is correct -- there's nothing illegal about this in baseball. BR is not out until he reaches the plate. In fact, it can be "smart" baseball if the retreat allows another runner to advance a base.

It won't be the last rule you kick; just make sure you don't kick this one again.