The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Obstruction Scrambling Back? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/37005-obstruction-scrambling-back.html)

BigUmp56 Sun Jul 29, 2007 01:30pm

Obstruction Scrambling Back?

Runner advances to homeplate where there's a close play, however he misses the plate on the slide. The ball was misplayed by F2 and deflected a short distance away where F1 backing up the play picks the ball up. The runner scrambles back to touch the plate and while doing so collides with F2 before the touch. F1 applies the tag before the touch. It seems like a clear case of obstruction to me, but the umpires concluded that obstruction cannot occur after a runner has passed the plate. Is there any interpretation that would substantiate their claim?

Tim.

UmpLarryJohnson Sun Jul 29, 2007 02:06pm

i dont see WHY it wouldnt since you would CALL this at any OTHER base like 2 or 3. its Obstruction to me since a play is going ON--other wise the defense could TACKLE the runner going back and not get a call

bluezebra Sun Jul 29, 2007 04:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigUmp56
Runner advances to homeplate where there's a close play, however he misses the plate on the slide. The ball was misplayed by F2 and deflected a short distance away where F1 backing up the play picks the ball up. The runner scrambles back to touch the plate and while doing so collides with F2 before the touch. F1 applies the tag before the touch. It seems like a clear case of obstruction to me, but the umpires concluded that obstruction cannot occur after a runner has passed the plate. Is there any interpretation that would substantiate their claim?

Tim.

Where was F2, and what was he doing?

Bob

SanDiegoSteve Sun Jul 29, 2007 04:59pm

Quote:

It seems like a clear case of obstruction to me, but the umpires concluded that obstruction cannot occur after a runner has passed the plate. Is there any interpretation that would substantiate their claim?

I don't think the umpires are right in this interpretation. If F2 was not in the act of receiving a throw, he can't block the base, no matter which side the runner is coming from. Like Larry said, what would stop the catchers out there from tackling the runner if this were the case?

BigUmp56 Sun Jul 29, 2007 05:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluezebra
Where was F2, and what was he doing?

Bob

Bob,

He'd turned to chase the ball he had just misplayed. I don't think he realized F1 was right there to back up the play.

Tim.

Rcichon Sun Jul 29, 2007 07:11pm

I would have called obstruction.:cool:

ozzy6900 Mon Jul 30, 2007 08:01am

Quote:

Bob,

He'd turned to chase the ball he had just misplayed. I don't think he realized F1 was right there to back up the play.

Tim.

From your description, I have a train wreck! No obstruction. Defiantly HTBT!