The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   C B Buckner at it again (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/36881-c-b-buckner-again.html)

PeteBooth Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:50pm

C B Buckner at it again

As with most who are baseball officials I too watch the umpires.

As we all know umpiring is a tough and thankless job, however, some of us are fortunate enough to make it to the "show" where one does make a Good living.

CB Buckner seems to be in the "middle" of many a contoversy. He threw out Sheffield a couple of years ago for throwing his batting helmet. Heck if that was the case Paul O'Neil would have been ejecetd almost every game when he played, yet CB took it upon himself to interject when he didn't need to.

His strike zone is erratic at best. I was watching the game last night between the Indians and BOSOX and he punched Manny out on a pitch that didn't appear to be even close. If we as amateurs punched out a player on that pitch we would hear it BIG Time. Manny was being Manny and simply laughed it off.

Even the annoucners didn't know what to think from pitch to pitch

Joe Torre who hardly says anything had a problem with CB.

It seems as though the players and managers do not like CB as an umpire and I read that he is considered the worst Umpire in the major leagues.

What no-body in Triple A qualified and ready to move up or is it political and I will leave at that. Do any of you think CB will get a playoff assignment?

Pete Booth

UmpLarryJohnson Tue Jul 24, 2007 01:11pm

i thought that THIS LEVEL was LIFETIME appts like the supreme COURT--only DEATH or RETIREMent would open a SLOT.

bluezebra Tue Jul 24, 2007 01:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeteBooth
As with most who are baseball officials I too watch the umpires.

As we all know umpiring is a tough and thankless job, however, some of us are fortunate enough to make it to the "show" where one does make a Good living.

CB Buckner seems to be in the "middle" of many a contoversy. He threw out Sheffield a couple of years ago for throwing his batting helmet. Heck if that was the case Paul O'Neil would have been ejecetd almost every game when he played, yet CB took it upon himself to interject when he didn't need to.

His strike zone is erratic at best. I was watching the game last night between the Indians and BOSOX and he punched Manny out on a pitch that didn't appear to be even close. If we as amateurs punched out a player on that pitch we would hear it BIG Time. Manny was being Manny and simply laughed it off.

Even the annoucners didn't know what to think from pitch to pitch

Joe Torre who hardly says anything had a problem with CB.

It seems as though the players and managers do not like CB as an umpire and I read that he is considered the worst Umpire in the major leagues.

What no-body in Triple A qualified and ready to move up or is it political and I will leave at that. Do any of you think CB will get a playoff assignment?

Pete Booth

Too bad MLB doen't work like the NFL. Bottom of the food chain in ratings, go back to your day job.

Bob

lawump Tue Jul 24, 2007 03:07pm

What was the line going into the game? The over/under? :D

lawump Tue Jul 24, 2007 03:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawump

I am so ashamed of myself. That post was so unprofessional and so not original. I'm sorry to anyone I might have offended. :rolleyes:

NFump Tue Jul 24, 2007 03:11pm

So why not delete it before anyone else could possibly be "offended".

Tanks

lawump Tue Jul 24, 2007 03:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NFump
So why not delete it before anyone else could possibly be "offended".

Tanks

I thought the rolled eyes gave it away...my apology is firmly tongue in cheek and an attempt at sarcasm.

NFump Tue Jul 24, 2007 03:21pm

OOPS!!!! My bad!! Then it's funny! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

JRutledge Tue Jul 24, 2007 03:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawump

I am sorry; this was funny to me at least.

Peace

Rcichon Tue Jul 24, 2007 08:45pm

On the OP:

Interesting to observe too. Has quirky movements with his hands sometimes. Like making circular motions with both hands for no reason. Did that a few times.

Weird.

Bottom line: he's in the show calling more games than I do. He can't be all wrong.

He!!, you're probably gonna see McClelland in a post season game, why not Buckner?
:cool:

btdt Tue Jul 24, 2007 09:27pm

If he was replaced, someone else would take his place as the worse umpire in MLB and I am sure players and coaches wouldn't like the new "worst".

I understand the comments concerning his judgment, abilities and visuals.
But, somebody up the food chain seems to disagree.

I watch MLB umpires to see what I can learn. Both do's and dont's. As far as the worst umpire .... somebody's got to get that tag, and he has accomplished far more than I could ever dream of.

UMP25 Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:54pm

I've said this numerous times: Is it just me, or does CB seem to have some permanent smirk on his face? It's as if he's got an irritating smirk that just doesn't look good.

UmpLarryJohnson Wed Jul 25, 2007 08:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by UMP25
I've said this numerous times: Is it just me, or does CB seem to have some permanent smirk on his face? It's as if he's got an irritating smirk that just doesn't look good.

its that IM here BEHIND the PLATE in the BIGS and YOUR NOT look

mbyron Wed Jul 25, 2007 08:32am

How is trashing Bucknor going to make me a better official? So he makes more mistakes than the average MLB guy. They all have weird mechanics. So what.

Or is the point that he punched out Manny on a ball? Is this RSN whining?

UMP25 Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by UmpLarryJohnson
its that IM here BEHIND the PLATE in the BIGS and YOUR NOT look

I'm not saying he does this look intentionally; rather, I think it's just a physical attribute of his that makes him look worse.