The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Lefty's Snap-Throw (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/36637-leftys-snap-throw.html)

Carl Cramer Mon Jul 16, 2007 05:57pm

Lefty's Snap-Throw

From the set, with both hands together, a lefty pitcher wants to snap-throw to first. Where does his left foot have to be positioned is that he has successfully 'stepped off' the rubber and can then legally begin a throw to first base?

Can he begin a throw when his left foot is simply off the rubber?
Does he have to wait until the left foot is planted?

Thank You!

BigUmp56 Mon Jul 16, 2007 06:01pm

His pivot foot must be planted on the ground behind the rubber for him to have legally disengaged.

Tim.

Tommy P Mon Jul 16, 2007 06:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl Cramer
From the set, with both hands together, a lefty pitcher wants to snap-throw to first. Where does his left foot have to be positioned is that he has successfully 'stepped off' the rubber and can then legally begin a throw to first base?

Can he begin a throw when his left foot is simply off the rubber?
Does he have to wait until the left foot is planted?

Thank You!

casebook 3.1.3 B

This is legal, (to throw without stepping,etc) provided F1's pivot foot touches the ground prior to separateng his hands.

bob jenkins Mon Jul 16, 2007 07:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tommy P
casebook 3.1.3 B

This is legal, (to throw without stepping,etc) provided F1's pivot foot touches the ground prior to separateng his hands.

While I agree that's the rule book answer, from a practical matter it's not enforced that strictly.

UmpLarryJohnson Mon Jul 16, 2007 07:45pm

yes, GENERALY the Pitcher can throw and step at ONCE and its not called.

Tim C Mon Jul 16, 2007 08:06pm

Me too!

And I agree . . . I am not good enough to actualy see if the foot hit the ground first.

I have never seen a lefty balked for his pivot foot activity on this play.

Make the call by tradition rather than the letter of the rule.

Regards,

Tommy P Mon Jul 16, 2007 08:50pm

I agree all.

I did have a pitcher actually separate his hands, begin his throwing motion to 1st, and then step back using his pivot to help put some oomph on the throw. I didn't call it, my partner beat me to it.

Not for that reason though, he said he failed to step toward 1st on the throw.

soundedlikeastrike Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:30pm

Why do lefties make me think evil thoughts.

Imagine if the foot didn't have to plant first. Then couple that with a set position in which the left hand stays relatively in the cocked position. Coupled with umpires not knowing, the foots supposed to land first, and the set must be in front of the body.
Watch em..

fitump56 Tue Jul 17, 2007 01:59am

Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Tommy P
casebook 3.1.3 B

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins
While I agree that's the rule book answer, from a practical matter it's not enforced that strictly.

Lefty's get by with all kinds of stuff. The angle of the stride when throwing to 1B vs the RH to 3B. The quick step off the plate and pick to 1B. This is where having played the game at higher levels is invaluable. You understand these modifications of the rules.

fitump56 Tue Jul 17, 2007 02:00am

[quote=soundedlikeastrike]Why do lefties make me think evil thoughts.

[quote]

They are all the twins of Evil Clowns. :eek: