The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 14, 2007, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Bassman
Just out of morbid curiosity...

Does anyone here (and I'm not joking about this question) still use the outside Balloon protector??
Old Sat Jul 14, 2007, 09:41pm
rei

Some days I wish I did!

My dad still has one!
Old Sat Jul 14, 2007, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

On Tuesday, I had a CEBA game in Springville, NY and took a shot off my right shoulder just above my CP. My shoulder has still been tender today and I had to work three straight plate games in a NSA Fastpitch Tourney. Now, between games when I worked the bases, I asked the attendants if I could use one of the balloons that the house league uses for their LL games. Gotta tell you, it was indeed different and I now understand what AL umpires had to do "in the day". Managing a balloon protector truly is an art form .
Old Sat Jul 14, 2007, 10:46pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman
Does anyone here (and I'm not joking about this question) still use the outside Balloon protector??
Haven't seen one in years. Great protection and as long as you don't have to run anywhere, a balloon and a mesh shirt sure would be cooler than packing in heat with a West Gold.
Old Sat Jul 14, 2007, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56
Haven't seen one in years. Great protection and as long as you don't have to run anywhere, a balloon and a mesh shirt sure would be cooler than packing in heat with a West Gold.
Well, it was the first (and second, and third ) time I used one and I found out the sequence for ripping off the mask and protector is this:

1) remove mask with right hand and shift to left

2) remove right arm from right strap and tuck the protector under the left arm.
Old Sat Jul 14, 2007, 11:04pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Well, it was the first (and second, and third ) time I used one and I found out the sequence for ripping off the mask and protector is this:

1) remove mask with right hand and shift to left

2) remove right arm from right strap and tuck the protector under the left arm.
Ah the bad/good ole days. Yessir, that's pretty much the protocol. I remember like it was yesterday, buying my first balloon, I was such a newbie, 12 or 13 yoa, cost like $10 (?), used it for years until my organization decided to be cool and go inside. Catcher's sand in sewn pockets protectors, I think. Sold my old balloon for $15. Profit, America is good

Worked games with no time limits, $6, $14 for a DH; worked 6-8 games on Sat/Sun in the Southern heat and humidity.

I don't know why I miss those times but I still do.
Old Sat Jul 14, 2007, 11:05pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by rei
Some days I wish I did!

My dad still has one!
Does he? I'll bet it's worth a try one, if you haven't
Old Sat Jul 14, 2007, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ah the bad/good ole days. Yessir, that's pretty much the protocol. I remember like it was yesterday, buying my first balloon, I was such a newbie, 12 or 13 yoa, cost like $10 (?), used it for years until my organization decided to be cool and go inside. Catcher's sand in sewn pockets protectors, I think. Sold my old balloon for $15. Profit, America is good

Worked games with no time limits, $6, $14 for a DH; worked 6-8 games on Sat/Sun in the Southern heat and humidity.

I don't know why I miss those times but I still do.
Well, as I said, I'll likely stay with the inside for the most part. The only times I may use a balloon are:

1) where I have an injury that may require the extra protection (like today)

2) lower level (60' basedpath) youth baseball.
Old Sat Jul 14, 2007, 11:24pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Well, as I said, I'll likely stay with the inside for the most part. The only times I may use a balloon are:

1) where I have an injury that may require the extra protection (like today)

2) lower level (60' basedpath) youth baseball.
You use the balloon? No wonder so few respond to this thread. Good God (and He is), Man, do you want to wind up on an Ignore list?

Go for it. The balloon got retired because of st00pid fashion rules for umps when it can be an entiely appropriate protective device. It has its place and I, for one among very few sorry to report, applaud your independence of thought and courage to use and admit.

Gee, the balloon, I don't even have one, how sad.
Old Sat Jul 14, 2007, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

Admitting you have a problem is the first step
Be that as it may, I'm still primarily an inside umpire, use a hardshell protector (ITech ump3000 to be specific) and have had very few problems. This was a unique situation where I had to "old school" it.
Old Sat Jul 14, 2007, 11:51pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Admitting you have a problem is the first step
That's the problem, I have so many first steps.

Quote:

Be that as it may, I'm still primarily an inside umpire, use a hardshell protector (ITech ump3000 to be specific) and have had very few problems. This was a unique situation where I had to "old school" it.
The Itech stuff, I haven't found it locally, is it good? Is it Mizuno off brand?
Old Sun Jul 15, 2007, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's the problem, I have so many first steps.
'Nuff said

Quote:
The Itech stuff, I haven't found it locally, is it good? Is it Mizuno off brand?
Actually, it is a division of Cooper, and yes, my Itech has been serving me very well, thank you.
Old Sun Jul 15, 2007, 12:21am

I wore the balloon (raft) for a solo Senior LL double-dipper on a hot summer day a few years back. My assignor let me borrow his old foam rubber protector because this league was notoriously bad at playing baseball. I saved myself a lot of bruises that day, as I was pummeled mercilessly by uncaught pitches nearly every inning of both games. I am also glad I was never assigned this particular league again.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Sun Jul 15, 2007 at 01:43am.
Old Sun Jul 15, 2007, 12:57am
In Time Out

Quote:
Actually, it is a division of Cooper, and yes, my Itech has been serving me very well, thank you.
Right. Cooper's stuff, I forgot that. Cooper got a bad rap for no reason as ump stuff. I remember they had one of the first adjustble batting helmets, excellent idea for kids baseball.

I wear several different vests and shins and shoes, depends on level of play, wet/dry grounds, etc. How about you?
Old Sun Jul 15, 2007, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

on the VERY rare occasion i do anything 12yo or under, i always use the raft since it's like a firing squadron back there. might as well give me a blindfold and a cigarette while i'm at it.