The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   crazy play-what would you rule (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/36512-crazy-play-what-would-you-rule.html)

the tax man Thu Jul 12, 2007 03:40pm

crazy play-what would you rule

R1 on 1st-hit to outfield-throws comes to infielder who throws to 3rd to get runner-ball hopes up the uniform of the 3rd baseman-BR reaches 1st-OBR rules-happened in 11-12 yr old Dixie youth game in North Alabama. Wanted to know what others would do. Thanks

jimpiano Thu Jul 12, 2007 03:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by the tax man
R1 on 1st-hit to outfield-throws comes to infielder who throws to 3rd to get runner-ball hopes up the uniform of the 3rd baseman-BR reaches 1st-OBR rules-happened in 11-12 yr old Dixie youth game in North Alabama. Wanted to know what others would do. Thanks

If the runners stop at first and third and show no signs of advancing, call time and find the ball.

If not, the third baseman is on his own and the runners can advance.

Of course, there might be more to this play than you have described.

the tax man Thu Jul 12, 2007 04:06pm

crazy play

The way it was told to me was the ball went up the sleeve of the 3rd baseman & he couldn't find it so the SS called time and the Coach came out & get the ball out of the back of the 3rd baseman's shirt

the tax man Thu Jul 12, 2007 04:09pm

crazy play

hers how it was emailed to me
Here is the actual situation as it occurred. The ball was hit to the outfield. As the batter- runner is going to third, the ball is thrown in from the outfield to an infielder who then throws it to third base. The ball hits the third baseman's glove and goes up his sleeve down into the back of his shirt. No one knew where the ball was including the third baseman. The third base umpire saw the ball in the back of the fielder's shirt and called time out. The coach comes out and removes the ball. The batter- runner was awarded home.

3appleshigh Thu Jul 12, 2007 04:59pm

Wrong answer provided, LIVE and Learn

mbyron Thu Jul 12, 2007 06:28pm

I'd just apply the book rule to that one - nothin' special.

cbfoulds Thu Jul 12, 2007 08:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3appleshigh
Well that's a lodged ball on a thrown ball, So call time, and all runners advance two bases.

OK, just for chuckles, now: care to cite a Rule # [OBR, remember]?

Rich Ives Thu Jul 12, 2007 08:14pm

The following MLB ruling was posted 8-21-03 on the WUA (MLB Umpires) web site —

When a live ball enters a player's uniform or the catcher's gear, the ball is to be ruled dead and no subsequent outs can be obtained by the defense. The umpire is then directed to employ common sense and fairness and place the runners such that the act of the ball becoming dead is nullified. The umpire may not, however, enforce any outs that he thinks may have occurred had the ball remained live. Outs occurring before the ball went out of play stand.

Glad I could be of help.

cbfoulds Thu Jul 12, 2007 08:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives
The following MLB ruling was posted 8-21-03 on the WUA (MLB Umpires) web site —

When a live ball enters a player's uniform or the catcher's gear, the ball is to be ruled dead and no subsequent outs can be obtained by the defense. The umpire is then directed to employ common sense and fairness and place the runners such that the act of the ball becoming dead is nullified. The umpire may not, however, enforce any outs that he thinks may have occurred had the ball remained live. Outs occurring before the ball went out of play stand.

Glad I could be of help.

Yep: this is the most recent definitive ruling. NOT "award 2 bases". There is, I believe, a "competing" PBUC interp. [I presently only have access to an out-of-date BRD] that holds that the ball remains live and in play. There is no "book rule", if by that one means a Rule actually in the Rule Book [OBR/MLB].