The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Pro Umpire Plate Mechanic - Hand on the Catcher's Shoulder? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/36408-pro-umpire-plate-mechanic-hand-catchers-shoulder.html)

scarolinablue Mon Jul 09, 2007 07:13pm

Pro Umpire Plate Mechanic - Hand on the Catcher's Shoulder?

Just a curiousity question, more than anything...went to a Greenville Drive game last week (Greenville, SC BoSox Class A affiliate - fantastic stadium, complete with a "Mini-Monster" in left field). Anyway, the PU was resting his forward hand on the catcher's back...lightly, from the way it appeared, but he was distinctly touching the catcher. Is this a taught mechanic in pro school, or personal preference? I would think a catcher would hate this (I would)...just curious. I wouldn't think this would do much for his career, as I haven't observed any MLU doing this. Other than that, the blue worked a nice game...excellent two-man mechanics being displayed, great hustle all around.

bob jenkins Mon Jul 09, 2007 08:24pm

It's a personal preference / learned ahbit taht some have. I would strongly discourage it for amateur umpires.

GarthB Mon Jul 09, 2007 08:45pm

My information is that it is not taught at either proschool or PBUC.

Rich Ives Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:31pm

Many catchers hate it. They are also smart enough to not complain to the umpire.:)

socalblue1 Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarthB
My information is that it is not taught at either proschool or PBUC.

Not taught & strongly discouraged. Once an umpire reaches AA they loosen the reigns a bit. A or below an umpire would be down graded on his evaluation.

SanDiegoSteve Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:53am

I do not understand the fascination with touching the catcher. Do they do it for balance? Would they fall over if they didn't?

I have never even considered doing such a thing at any level. I think it looks horrible, and I see more and more MLB guys doing it these days.

nickrego Tue Jul 10, 2007 03:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
I do not understand the fascination with touching the catcher. Do they do it for balance? Would they fall over if they didn't?

They can't bring their Guide Dogs (for the blind) onto the field, so the Catcher has to fill in. ;)

DonInKansas Tue Jul 10, 2007 03:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve

I asked a guy that I worked with this question once who did this and he said it made it easier for him to gauge where the catcher was going when chasing a WP/PB/Popup behind. A crutch I realize, but a possible explanation I've been given.

ozzy6900 Tue Jul 10, 2007 05:52am

It was explained to me that as professional umpires moved from the "raft" to the inside protector, they felt that they were too close to the catcher. The "raft" was bulky and placed some distance between the umpire and the catcher. Once that "mattress" was removed, it seemed like you were way too close so umpires would put their hand on the catcher's back to keep their distance. Sounds crazy but I can appreciate the feeling as I came from that era also. I will on occasion reach out to the catcher just to get my bearings (if I am not using the GD) but I never make contact.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Jul 10, 2007 07:28am

I have been attending Toledo Mud Hen (AAA) games for years and for the last couple of years or so I have noticed more and more PU resting their left hand on the catcher's back. I just don't think it is a good practice either.

MTD, Sr.