The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Trivial Trivia-Umpire's Edition (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/35975-trivial-trivia-umpires-edition.html)

SanDiegoSteve Mon Jul 09, 2007 04:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bassman
Joe Brinkman said they looked like a bunch of Captain Kangaroos.

BTW, Next question: We all know about the Jim Evans Academy of Professional Umpiring and the Harry Wendelstedt Umpire School. What names were these schools under before their current incarnations??

I believe Jim Evans moved his school from Arizona to the former Joe Brinkman facility. Harry's school was originally the Al Somers Umpire School. Joe Brinkman's school originally was the Bill Kinnamon Umpire School.

This is off the top of my pointy little head, so I may not be exactly right here.

Bassman Mon Jul 09, 2007 08:11pm

Nope. You are correct

Next question: Name at least one of the two National League umpires who were allowed to use the Outside chest protector.

SanDiegoSteve Tue Jul 10, 2007 01:27am

Quote:

Nope. You are correct

Next question: Name at least one of the two National League umpires who were allowed to use the Outside chest protector.

Well, I already used this one in another question: Beans Reardon. I still get to ask the next question from a prior answer:

There was a chest protector (not much of one as it turns out) which I used for about 2 months of my first season. It was made by Wilson. It was covered in a canvass-like cloth material, had little white shoulder caps which were attached with shoe strings. Could get you seriously hurt. Name that chest protector model.

Hint: Once had an umpire school.

Bassman Thu Jul 12, 2007 09:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Well, I already used this one in another question: Beans Reardon. I still get to ask the next question from a prior answer:

There was a chest protector (not much of one as it turns out) which I used for about 2 months of my first season. It was made by Wilson. It was covered in a canvass-like cloth material, had little white shoulder caps which were attached with shoe strings. Could get you seriously hurt. Name that chest protector model.

Hint: Once had an umpire school.

OK would that be the Bill Kinnamon Model??

SanDiegoSteve Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:39pm

Quote:

OK would that be the Bill Kinnamon Model??

No, please try again.

jimpiano Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:20am

Quote:

No, please try again.

jocko conlan

SanDiegoSteve Fri Jul 13, 2007 01:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimpiano
jocko conlan

Jocko had a school? WRONG!

Try Again.

SanDiegoSteve Sat Jul 14, 2007 05:55am

Quote:

Jocko had a school? WRONG!

Try Again.

OK, since nobody is playing anymore, I'll just give the answer. I know y'all have been just a-dyin' to know.:rolleyes:

George Barr.

First school for umpires. Horrible, yet strangely widely used chest protector.

Bassman Sat Jul 14, 2007 08:18pm

Quote:

Nope. You are correct

The other is Jocko Conlan.

Next question: Which AL umpire was a former professional wrestler??

FredFan7 Sat Jul 14, 2007 09:22pm

Quote:

Next question: Which AL umpire was a former professional wrestler??

Ken Kaiser.

Next question. Who was the first AL umpire to work the plate wearing an INSIDE chest protector for a World Series game?

Bassman Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by FredFan7
Ken Kaiser.

Next question. Who was the first AL umpire to work the plate wearing an INSIDE chest protector for a World Series game?

Larry McCoy in the 1977 World Series!!!

Next question-Uniforms. When did the Major Leagues adopt the Heather Grey slacks as the standard uniform color??