The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Catharsis

Background: I am a head varsity baseball coach who umpires during the winter and summer. I got thrown out of a game for the first time this season and just need to get it off my chest.

The PU had definitely projected that he would not take any grief. I had a freshman pitcher on the mound and had supported the PU every time he expressed frustration with a PU call, vocally saying "next pitch", to get him to focus on his job. After a close called 3rd strike to end an inning one of my batters stayed in the box and asked if the pitch wasn't outside while the PU walked to the 3B box. I clapped my hand at the batter and told my player "come on, let's go". As this was happening the PU approached my player and asked him if he wanted to umpire. My player said "sorry, no" and walked away. The PU then followed him to the dugout, continually asking if he wanted to umpire. The 3B coach came to try and get between and deflect the PU off of my player, The PU then yelled that "I need to get control of my players". I took a step towards the PU from about 15 feet away and as of yet had not said a word directly to him. As soon as I took a step towards him (at this point he was 5 steps from my dugout chasing after my player) he said "that's it" and ran me, which also got me removed from the next game. He refused to engage me and walked away when I asked what I was being ejected for. When I could not get a response from him I finally went ballistic, but the damage had already been done. To add insult to injury he said in his report I used profanity which I did not, before or after the ejection. I vigorously refuted his allegations but accepted my suspension.

I know that it is hard to judge w/o the other side of the story but these are the facts. The reason I posted on this site is just because when I see coaches and players being referred to as rats it just puts a bad taste in my mouth and gives a perception of a lack of respect towards the players and coaches. I know this language is not used by everyone and is meant only to apply to those who chirp or argue, at least I hope that is all it is meant to refer to, but the fact that I am not 100% sure coupled with the fact that their a rare few umpires like the one above, should give some pause. I think we need to be brave enough to call out a partner after (never during) a game who has acted unprofessionally.

As a coach and umpire I truly have respect for an umpire that is willing to briefly discuss a call with a coach. I am not saying to engage in lengthy discussions on every play, but a little effort towards engaging a coach in a positive manner goes a long way towards deescalating any situations. I truly believe most ejections can be prevented by better game management earlier in the game.

Sorry for the long post but I just needed to get this off my chest.
Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 03:13pm

It sounds like you had an unprofessional umpire. We try to do our best to weed out guys like this, but many continue to get assigned games, sometimes due to umpire shortages. Hopefully you can report him and get him scratched from any more of your games.

We call coaches "rats" because for the most part, they are. It is somewhat of an endearing term we use, and we don't mean it any more maliciously than the people who shout, "kill the umpire."

Some rats are better than others, however, and some are even frequent and respected posters on this forum. The little cheese-eaters don't take the "rat" tag too seriously.

When you've umpired as long as many of us here have, you would find yourself calling coaches and players rats too.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 04:01pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by wish7694
I had a freshman pitcher on the mound and had supported the PU every time he expressed frustration with a PU call, vocally saying "next pitch", to get him to focus on his job.
Welcome to the forum, wish7694.
Sounds like your umpire was having a bad day, and then he made it worse.

He let the [pre?]pubescent lads get to him, but then maybe he was hearing your "next pitch" and somehow was misconstruing your intentions, because of his lack of confidence or because of your tone, that day.
Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

To me, it seems like your umpire should not be doing varsity games! Come to think of it, if I were his assigner, I would not let him out of LL!
Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 08:28pm
Veteran College Umpire

"When I could not get a response from him I finally went ballistic..."

If you coach youth ball you should not have "gone ballistic". If you umpire you REALLY should not have "gone ballistic". You're the role model, and guess what your players learned? That if the umpire does something you don't like, it's acceptable to "go ballistic". Better to bite your lip (your going ballistic won't accomplish anything save venting a little, and that's far outweighed by the show you're putting on for the players) and make some phone calls and do some paperwork.
I would say the term "rat" fits you quite well - you're fine until something doesn't go your way (justly or unjustly), and then you turn and bite. Work on it, then call yourself an umpire.

JJ
Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

JJ,

While I would agree that it would have been better had wish7694 not gotten himself ejected, I find your characterization of him as a "Rat" both puerile and prejudicial.

My impression from reading wish's OP is that he conducted himself reasonably and properly until the umpire's improper conduct exhausted his patience. Though I've never met the man (and this is, apparently, his 1st post), I found his description of the facts of the matter credible. I inferred that he was not particularly proud of the fact that he "went ballistic" - but, none of us is perfect.

Just as there are Rat coaches, so, too, are there incompetent, dickhead umpires. In both the former and the latter case, these are the exceptions rather than the rule. In this case, my impression is that wish wasn't and the umpire was.

Of course, I wasn't there, so I could be wrong.

JM
Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ
Work on it, then call yourself an umpire.

JJ
JJ:

There are umpires who coach and there are coaches who umpire. There is a world of difference between the two.

Unlike many who wear two hats, wish7694 was being honest when he said "I am a head varsity baseball coach who umpires... "
Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJM
JJ,

While I would agree that it would have been better had wish7694 not gotten himself ejected, I find your characterization of him as a "Rat" both puerile and prejudicial.

My impression from reading wish's OP is that he conducted himself reasonably and properly until the umpire's improper conduct exhausted his patience. Though I've never met the man (and this is, apparently, his 1st post), I found his description of the facts of the matter credible. I inferred that he was not particularly proud of the fact that he "went ballistic" - but, none of us is perfect.

Just as there are Rat coaches, so, too, are there incompetent, dickhead umpires. In both the former and the latter case, these are the exceptions rather than the rule. In this case, my impression is that wish wasn't and the umpire was.

Of course, I wasn't there, so I could be wrong.

JM
The best that can be said of the most reasonable coaches is that they are lobbyists, have biased viewpoints and cannot be trusted.

The rest are rats.

Remember, if coaches and players didn't lie or cheat, you wouldn't need umpires.
Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Garth

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
The best that can be said of the most reasonable coaches is that they are lobbyists, have biased viewpoints and cannot be trusted.
While they are certainly lobbyists (for their team) and undoubtedly have biased viewpoints (which actually impairs their abilities of perception), there are some coaches who can be trusted. Difficult though that may be to believe.

Quote:
The rest are rats.
To my chagrin, I find it impossible to dispute the notion that there are a fair number of rats out there.

Quote:
Remember, if coaches and players didn't lie or cheat, you wouldn't need umpires.
As I have said before, I believe that this statement demonstrates a fundamental lack of understanding of the role of an umpire in the game of baseball.

JM

P.S. How's your season going? I'm having a BLAST! Umpiring is significantly more fun than coaching, and WAAAYYYYY less stressful.
Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

JJ

I went ballistic in the sense that I called him out saying that sportsmanship goes both ways and that he can't go after my players and that the ejection was a terrible call. High school baseball is not youth baseball in that the coaches are paid to coach and wins and losses affect our continued employment. I absolutely accept that what I did after the ejection was wrong, but surely you can recognize that high school athletes can appreciate a coach standing up to a tyrannical umpire.

I truly appreciate that most of you have given support and recognize that an umpire can aggravate the situation if it is not handled properly. JJ, You give both the players and coaches far to little credit in assuming that they would extrapolate from this instance that going ballistic is OK. I always preach to my players to control what they have in their power to control, which is never the umpire. I am sure that you do not believe my description of the situation, but if you are ejected without ever having said anything to the umpire, clearly something is wrong.

I accept what I did after the ejection was wrong, but remember, you do not have the pressure of your record in part determining your continued employment. I would say that things went far beyond not "going my way".

You represent a perfect example of the type of condescending attitude coaches fear and despise. Unfortunately those umpires stick in our memory longer than the many quality umpires we get to work with.
Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJM
Garth

While they are certainly lobbyists (for their team) and undoubtedly have biased viewpoints (which actually impairs their abilities of perception), there are some coaches who can be trusted. Difficult though that may be to believe.
Your conclusion is not supported by the premise you accept.

Quote:
To my chagrin, I find it impossible to dispute the notion that there are a fair number of rats out there.
The conversion is near complete.

Quote:
As I have said before, I believe that this statement demonstrates a fundamental lack of understanding of the role of an umpire in the game of baseball.

JM
And as I have said before, you are wrong. What is the fundamental job of an umpire? It is to see that neither side has an advantage not intended by the rules. If coaches and players didn't lie or cheat, that wouldn't happen.

Quote:
P.S. How's your season going? I'm having a BLAST! Umpiring is significantly more fun than coaching, and WAAAYYYYY less stressful.
I've had a great season. I've worked 12 games with a certain new MiLB umpire including a DH on Father's Day.
Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 11:26pm
Is this a legal title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wish7694
JJ

... but remember, you do not have the pressure of your record in part determining your continued employment.
That's crap. Umpires who work at the professional level, and at the highest levels of amateur ball (as does the person to whom you were responding), have the pressure of their record TOTALLY determining their continued employment.

The big difference is that when a coach is let go, there's a press release and a couple of interviews. With umpires, it happens that one day, they just aren't there anymore.
Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Publius, I certainly do not mean to imply that umpires are not evaluated and critiqued, certainly to a great degree at the professional and collegiate level. But the reality is that high school umpires have MUCH better job security than the coaches they interact with.

This does not in any way justify inappropriate behavior by a coach towards umpires. I am just trying to present a point of view that is probably not expressed often on this board.
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 05:46am
Official Forum Member

To be honest with you wish7694, I have had many a player question a call here and there. It is part of the game. But when they get out of line, I simply remind them that I am the umpire, not them. I can pretty much count the players that I have ejected for stepping over the line (this does not count the players that get ejected due to rule violations aka malicious contact and the like).

To follow a player or coach that is walking away is just wrong! I don't teach that, I do not condone that and if I am observing an umpire on our board, his report won't be too favorable! Now, I carry this over to the summer leagues that I am involved with also and it has cut down on the problems over the years.

Head coaches and managers have the most freedom when it comes to argument. If a manager or head coach is coming out to me, I know it is not to discuss the world economy but it is also a time when I have to keep an open ear. I try to treat them with respect and expect the same in return. I allow them to speak their mind until they have made their point, repeat themselves, or just stop talking. I explain my position and for the most part, they know that the call won't change - the conversation is done! Most managers and head coaches then know it's time to get back to the game.

The trick is respect - a two way street. When it comes to High School or NCAA, we all know that jobs are on the line. I'm going to reason with you and flat out tell you that I am trying to keep you in the game. So if I eject you from a FED game, you really ejected yourself!

The only thing that I can suggest is keep this umpire's face or number embedded in your mind. When you run into him again, handle him with kid gloves and keep your players in line so that he has no reason to eject anyone. If this doesn't work, get hold of his association and lodge a complaint.

Best of luck.
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 10:17am
BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
To be honest with you wish7694, I have had many a player question a call here and there. It is part of the game. But when they get out of line, I simply remind them that I am the umpire, not them. I can pretty much count the players that I have ejected for stepping over the line (this does not count the players that get ejected due to rule violations aka malicious contact and the like).

To follow a player or coach that is walking away is just wrong! I don't teach that, I do not condone that and if I am observing an umpire on our board, his report won't be too favorable! Now, I carry this over to the summer leagues that I am involved with also and it has cut down on the problems over the years.

Head coaches and managers have the most freedom when it comes to argument. If a manager or head coach is coming out to me, I know it is not to discuss the world economy but it is also a time when I have to keep an open ear. I try to treat them with respect and expect the same in return. I allow them to speak their mind until they have made their point, repeat themselves, or just stop talking. I explain my position and for the most part, they know that the call won't change - the conversation is done! Most managers and head coaches then know it's time to get back to the game.

The trick is respect - a two way street. When it comes to High School or NCAA, we all know that jobs are on the line. I'm going to reason with you and flat out tell you that I am trying to keep you in the game. So if I eject you from a FED game, you really ejected yourself!

The only thing that I can suggest is keep this umpire's face or number embedded in your mind. When you run into him again, handle him with kid gloves and keep your players in line so that he has no reason to eject anyone. If this doesn't work, get hold of his association and lodge a complaint.

Best of luck.
ozzy - best post yet. I too coach and umpire. I coach 15-17 and umpire 13-14 and over 18. As an umpire there are some coaches that are just plain jerks. As a coach there are some umpires that are just plain jerks. As a coach you teach your kids respect for the umpire. As an umpire you try to find a way to keep people in the game by defusing a situation. As an umpire the other day I tossed a 13 year old - rung him up on strike 3, he took two steps towards the bench and proceeded to throw the bat like a javelin to the fence some 25' away. Nobody on that side said a word. After the game the kid, no longer in uniform, came up and personally apologized. I suspect his parents had something to do about it, but he was genuinely contrite. I accepted his apology and shook his hand. I could have ignored him but I didn't. Coaches in that league know I'm a fair umpire, but they also know I won't take any crap. You get a lot of respect that way. There are several really bad umpires and I confess I have to bite my tongue, but I do. I do everything I can to set a good example for my players when I am in coaching mode. I think it's pretty clear from the post that wish7694 does the same. I wish him well.