The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Small Confrentation... How to handle it? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/35424-small-confrentation-how-handle.html)

TussAgee11 Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:19am

Small Confrentation... How to handle it?

Last night, 14 travel ball (some of the best in our area for this level). Batter hits a long fly that curves foul. As he comes back to retrieve his bat, he says, not directly to the pitcher, but loud enough for F2 and me to hear, "throw me that again see what happens". At this point I saw that catcher was upset and was probably going to say something back. I told him, mask still on, sit in the box. My plan was just a mental note and perhaps a mention to the kid's manager.

Catcher persists and says something like "Shut up blah blah blah". I take my mask off and now tell him more directly to sit in the box lets play some ball. He then said to the kid something about the next pitch going in his ear. I immediately jumped in between F2 and the batter (who were maybe 10 feet apart) and gave the catcher the stop sign. I said "We are not doing that today. " and some more words that any beaning was not going to happen. He at first talked back but then said yes sir, and we went about our buisness.

The defensive coach picked up what had happened, and alerted the manager who was in the 3rd base coaches box (his dugout was 3BL). The manager had some words with the kid in between innings.

My question is, did I do ok? Particularly, should I have spoken with each manager immediately or in between innings? The catcher seemed like he understood what he said should not be said on the ball field. The batter was just a prick like the rest of his team, coaches, and fans. He got spoken to by the manager, like I said.

Should I have still alerted both managers?

johnnyg08 Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:23am

I simply would laugh if I heard that coming out of the mouth of a 14 yr old...honestly, at that level...I might consider ejecting...but we all have our own thresholds...

RPatrino Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:49am

You heard it, and you dealt with it. The manager knew what was going on. There is not much more you can do here until something happens, then you have to act on it.

Our job is not to be pychologists and try to make sure everyone gets along. Harmless banter is just that, but when it escalates to taunting or threats then we need to pay attention.

johnnyg08 Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPatrino
You heard it, and you dealt with it. The manager knew what was going on. There is not much more you can do here until something happens, then you have to act on it.

Our job is not to be pychologists and try to make sure everyone gets along. Harmless banter is just that, but when it escalates to taunting or threats then we need to pay attention.

I agree with you about not being psychologists, but what more of the threat do you need when you hear, "the next one's in your ear" these are 14 yr old kids...it's "harmless banter" unless these are 14 yr olds thinking that they're the major leaguers that they're watching on TV...IMO at that level that grounds for the parking lot...little Jimmy need only be tossed once

SanDiegoSteve Wed Jun 06, 2007 01:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08
I simply would laugh if I heard that coming out of the mouth of a 14 yr old...honestly, at that level...I might consider ejecting...but we all have our own thresholds...

Some years back I umpired a kid from 13 thru high school. He was a very large boy for his age. At age 13 he was throwing around 85 mph from PONY league distance of 54 feet. He also had pinpoint control. He regularly struck out 15+ in 7 inning games.

I would not laugh at the prospect of this kid sticking the next one in a batter's ear. I would have immediately warned the catcher, pitcher, and manager that anything close to resembling throwing at batters would lead to all three being ejected.

johnnyg08 Wed Jun 06, 2007 01:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Some years back I umpired a kid from 13 thru high school. He was a very large boy for his age. At age 13 he was throwing around 85 mph from PONY league distance of 54 feet. He also had pinpoint control. He regularly struck out 15+ in 7 inning games.

I would not laugh at the prospect of this kid sticking the next one in a batter's ear. I would have immediately warned the catcher, pitcher, and manager that anything close to resembling throwing at batters would lead to all three being ejected.

great points...15+ K's per game is pretty sweet...you have a pitcher who does that consistently at any level, and your team is going to win a lot of games.

TussAgee11 Wed Jun 06, 2007 02:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve

So Steve, you felt perhaps I should have gathered catcher, pitcher, and manager together immediately?

What would you have done about the batter and his manager for his comments towards the pitcher?

Thanks for the input.

SanDiegoSteve Wed Jun 06, 2007 03:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TussAgee11
So Steve, you felt perhaps I should have gathered catcher, pitcher, and manager together immediately?

What would you have done about the batter and his manager for his comments towards the pitcher?

Thanks for the input.

I don't see what was wrong with anything the batter said. He just said if you throw that same pitch again, I'm gonna lose it. That shouldn't have upset the catcher. I see the catcher here as out of control. If he wanted his pitcher to send the batter a message, he should have just signaled it to his pitcher, not announced it in front of the umpire.

If I was the catcher, I probably would have called for the same pitch again, only with better location, and challenged "big mouth" to hit it out.

TussAgee11 Wed Jun 06, 2007 03:55pm

Well if I were a 14 year old catcher I may have been a bit upset too (wait, I was one day). Teenagers are wierd, thats for sure.

So in my sitch you would have recommended ignoring batter's comment and dealing with F2 (which is what I did). I'm getting good at this game management stuff!! It was one of my main goals for this year. Headed to the park now, bases tonight. Thanks SDS.

waltjp Wed Jun 06, 2007 05:05pm

We weren't there. We didn't hear how the batter's comment was said. Depending on my read of the situation following the batter's comment I may or may not have said something to him. I would, however, have warned the catcher following his comment about putting one in the batter's ear. My comment to the catcher may have been something as simple as, "Johnny, there's no need for that today" to something more overt if I deemed it necessary.

David B Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TussAgee11
Well if I were a 14 year old catcher I may have been a bit upset too (wait, I was one day). Teenagers are wierd, thats for sure.

So in my sitch you would have recommended ignoring batter's comment and dealing with F2 (which is what I did). I'm getting good at this game management stuff!! It was one of my main goals for this year. Headed to the park now, bases tonight. Thanks SDS.

Keep it simple, just tell them hey guys, lets play ball and cut all that out.

They should get the point. If they persist, I always start with the F2. He's supposed to be a team leader and should know. He's right in front of me and can hear everything I say. I've reamed out many a catcher and no one on the field ever knew about it except for us and the batter who is usually about to snicker cause he knows what's happening.

Always seems to work for me.

But as suggested, take care of it, and don't let it escalate to something that you regret later.

Thanks
David

ozzy6900 Thu Jun 07, 2007 06:14am

I really don't have a problem with the batter saying "throw me that again see what happens". That is something that I have heard (and said when I played) for years. How the message is received and dealt with could be a cause for concern.

The catchers usually come back with something and I pay attention to it but usually let it go. However, once F2 said that the next pitch would be in the batter's ear, that is where the brakes have to be applied.

I do not agree with carrying it as far as TussAgee11 did (not that it was wrong). I just deal with the players involved right at the plate. I hold up F1 and quietly talk to both batter and F2. I all goes well, the managers don't even have to get involved. But at the amateur level, I never let the "in your ear" comment go without letting them know that I heard the comment and that any "balls in the ear" will be dealt with.

Regards

3appleshigh Thu Jun 07, 2007 01:01pm

A top notch catcher says, Ok Batter here it is. Then either signal it or signal the opposite pitch. Use the situation to get in the batters head.

PeteBooth Thu Jun 07, 2007 02:12pm

Quote:

As he comes back to retrieve his bat, he says, not directly to the pitcher, but loud enough for F2 and me to hear, "throw me that again see what happens".
This seems to be a major problem in sports today. F2 should have simply ignored this.

Perhaps the pitch was grooved and B1 was upset that he didn't blast it out of the park and said "give me that one again" IMO no big deal.

It was F2 who "took it to the next level" Depending upon the rule code you are using when you hear

" The next one will be in his ear" then IMO you now need to get both coaches involved because warnings need to be issued and according to OBR not only do we toss F1 but the coach as well if we judge the next pitch that comes way inside as F1 purposely throwing at the batter.

That's the problem with officiating youth sports today. Something so inconsequential as "throw me that one again" can turn into a fiasco.

Pete Booth