The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Drop third strike (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/34255-drop-third-strike.html)

tmuckel Fri May 04, 2007 10:06pm

Drop third strike

Seen this tonight , Drop third strike, Batter/runner starts to first, umpire calls him out. runner turns and heads to dugout, coach yells for him to run to first, umpire again calls him out. coach ask for time to ask umpire why he is out. coach was told the runner abandond the play so he was out. the runner didnot head for the dug out until the umpire had already called him out. Just wanted to know if the umpire blew this call by calling him out before he was tagged or the catcher threw to first

jnlandrews Fri May 04, 2007 10:13pm

Need more info. Runners on base? Number of outs? Paint the picture for us please.

Jim

UmpJM Fri May 04, 2007 10:16pm

tmuckel,

In order for anyone to properly answer your question, he would have to know:

1. What rules the game was being played under (and possibly what year of publication )?

2. How many outs were there?

3. Depending on the answer to #2, we might like to know if there was a runner on 1B at the TOP.

4. Where, in the umpire's judgement, was the Batter(/Runner?) at the point in time that the Umpire called him out (I mean the first time)?

Regardless of the answer to these questions, the umpire was at least "technically" incorrect; though it is possible that the Batter(/Runner?) being called "Out!" was the proper call.

What brings you here with this question?

JM

archangel Sat May 05, 2007 09:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachJM
tmuckel,

What brings you here with this question?

JM

I'd be curious to know why you need to know why the Q is asked? That has no relevance to the sich.

RPatrino Sat May 05, 2007 09:43am

Because we have been bombarded with 'scorekeeping' questions that have little relevance to umpiring.

tmuckel Sat May 05, 2007 06:13pm

One out

One out, nobody on first. I have been umpiring High School ball in michigan for six years, this year I am coaching in indiana. This happened at my game last night. I know what I think the call should of been but I just wanted to check with fellow umpires.

BigUmp56 Sat May 05, 2007 06:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by archangel
I'd be curious to know why you need to know why the Q is asked? That has no relevance to the sich.

Because there was no real situation presented is most likely the reason John asked the question.

Tim.

UmpJM Sat May 05, 2007 06:48pm

tmuckel,

As described, the umpire's ruling was completely incorrect. With 1B unoccupied, the Batter has become a runner and should not have been called out unless, as Steven Tyler said, he entered the dugout without trying to reach 1B.

Under FED rules protests are only allowed "by state adoption". I believe Indiana has chosen to NOT allow protests. As the manager, your only recourse in this situation would have been to appeal to the umpire to correct his erroneous ruling.

FED 7-4-1b1

JM

tmuckel Sat May 05, 2007 06:59pm

Thanks, I just wanted to make sure that after he would not discuss this with me, that I told him to check his rule book after the game, I was not out of line. or maybe I was...:D

TussAgee11 Sat May 05, 2007 08:56pm

tmuckel -

my experience is that people like this will "not check their rule book". Being young, i'm not in a position to yell at people in the parking lot. but this guy needs to be told more than "look at your rulebook".

perhaps he wasn't sure it hit the dirt? at least i'm hoping...

yet since I'm only 20 I can't work FED games for my association... but this clown gets games.