The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Rulbook Ruling (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/33809-rulbook-ruling.html)

bobref1 Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:19am

Rulbook Ruling

I do not have access to a rulebook. I asked a question last evening and received an answer from SA Ump and I appreciate that, but would someone be so kind as to print the rule as it reads in the book. The rulings they listed are 2-21-2, 5-1-1f, and 8-1-2b. Thanks again for helping an uneducated asst. coach.

BigGuy Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:49am

From FED

2-21-2
SECTION 21 INTERFERENCE — OFFENSIVE, UMPIRE, SPECTATOR
ART. 1... Offensive interference is an act (physical or verbal) by the team at bat:

a. which interferes with, obstructs, impedes, hinders or confuses any fielder attempting to make a play; or
b. when a runner creates malicious contact with any fielder, with or without the ball, in or out of the baseline; or
c. a coach physically assists a runner during playing action.

ART. 2... It is umpire interference when he inadvertently moves so as to hinder a catcher's attempt to throw, or when a fair ball touches an umpire as in 5-1-1f, or thrown ball as in 5-1-1g.

ART. 3... Spectator interference is an act by a spectator which impedes the progress of the game.

5-1-1f

Rule 5 Dead Ball - Suspension of Play
SECTION 1 DEAD BALL
ART. 1... Ball becomes dead immediately when:

f. a fair batted ball:

1. touches a runner or an umpire before touching any fielder and before passing any fielder other than the pitcher,
2. touches a runner after passing through or by an infielder and another infielder could have made a play on the ball,
3. touches a spectator,
4. goes over or through or wedges in the field fence, or
5. lodges in players equipment or uniform; or

8-1-2b
ART. 2... A batter-runner is awarded first base if:

a. he is a runner because of 8-1-1c, d, e; or
b. his fair ball, other than an infield fly, becomes dead (5-1-1f-1,2) and provided a preceding runner or retired runner does not interfere in such a way as to prevent a potential double play (8-4-1h).

I hope this helps

bobref1 Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:05am

Big Guy that's exactly what I was looking for thank you very much for taking the time to respond.

GarthB Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobref1
I do not have access to a rulebook. I asked a question last evening and received an answer from SA Ump and I appreciate that, but would someone be so kind as to print the rule as it reads in the book. The rulings they listed are 2-21-2, 5-1-1f, and 8-1-2b. Thanks again for helping an uneducated asst. coach.

Coach: I don't mean to be too rude here, but why not buy a rulebook? If you're in a position of teaching young men a game, it seems that knowing the rules, or, at least having access to the rules should be a prerequisite.