The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 15, 2007, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

1st base or 3rd base extended?

My Assoc teaches and preaches 1st baseline extended position for plays at the plate. However on sports center nearly every highlight the PU is lined up at 3rd baseline extended. Which do you use and why?
Old Sun Apr 15, 2007, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR12
My Assoc teaches and preaches 1st baseline extended position for plays at the plate. However on sports center nearly every highlight the PU is lined up at 3rd baseline extended. Which do you use and why?
I start at the point of the plate and let the throw take me to whichever baseline extended I'll need.
Old Sun Apr 15, 2007, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR12
Go where you need to be to make the call. If you can only choose one position to use all the time, use 3BL extended -- you can see the swipe tag and most of the "collision" plays. You will miss many of the swipe tag plays from 1BL extended.
Old Sun Apr 15, 2007, 08:24pm
rei

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Go where you need to be to make the call. If you can only choose one position to use all the time, use 3BL extended -- you can see the swipe tag and most of the "collision" plays. You will miss many of the swipe tag plays from 1BL extended.
Yes, I agree! I just got dinked on a college evaluation today for taking the play 1BL ext... even though I got a great view and got the call right. They just want to see you 3BL ext...

I have taken MANY plays from 3BL ext... and usually see it just as well.

If you aspire to do college level ball, you will need to get used to this, and that is what is more or less expected (at least this year!!!)
Old Sun Apr 15, 2007, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

When I first began umpiring, I used the 1blx almost exclusively. There were several times when I could not see the whole play. Now, I use the 3blx almost all the time. I feel I get a better look there.
Old Mon Apr 16, 2007, 11:14am
Stop staring at me swan.

it is a hard adjustment to make...when I was less experienced, I didn't feel comfortable going 3BL Ext. but once I tried it, it's tough for me to go 1bl ext because you see so much more on 3BL ext...using both are essential for trying to make the correct call at the plate
Old Tue Apr 17, 2007, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

If you go to the NCAA website in ESO, it has a video on where to take plays. I use the point of the plate and let the ball take me where I need to be. Generally, if the ball is coming from the right side, a swipe tag usually develops, set up 3BX, if the ball is coming from the left side, set up 1BX, as a block of the plate usually develops. The NCAA video also shows setting up 1BX for any play with a ground ball in the infield.
Old Tue Apr 17, 2007, 02:45pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherblue
If you go to the NCAA website in ESO, it has a video on where to take plays. I use the point of the plate and let the ball take me where I need to be. Generally, if the ball is coming from the right side, a swipe tag usually develops, set up 3BX, if the ball is coming from the left side, set up 1BX, as a block of the plate usually develops. The NCAA video also shows setting up 1BX for any play with a ground ball in the infield.
Are you sure you want to be 3BLX on a throw from RF? Isn't it the other way around...throw from RF you would be 1BLX throw from LF you would be 3LBX...
Old Tue Apr 17, 2007, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08
Are you sure you want to be 3BLX on a throw from RF? Isn't it the other way around...throw from RF you would be 1BLX throw from LF you would be 3LBX...
Good plan - this way you can't see the tag on either throw.
Old Tue Apr 17, 2007, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Works well

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherblue
This is how it was taught to us several years ago and it took a little getting used to, but I've found that it works very well.

Thanks
David
Old Tue Apr 17, 2007, 03:58pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
Good plan - this way you can't see the tag on either throw.
I would disagree with you on that comment. My evaluator who has worked several state tournaments, has taught me as well as other members of our association to line up w/ the throw...and my experience has showed me that it works. is there a perfect angle every time...probably...can we get that perfect angle and see every play every time...we hope so...but probably not realistic...thanks for your feedback.
Old Tue Apr 17, 2007, 04:19pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Mcrowder-
I just checked the videos/powerpoints on NCAA that people are talking about on here and one specific example cites a throw coming on the line from right field has the PU on 1BLX...that being said, there are other examples that might cite what you're saying...but to totally discredit my post is wrong on your part.
Old Tue Apr 17, 2007, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Mcrowder-
I just checked the videos/powerpoints on NCAA that people are talking about on here and one specific example cites a throw coming on the line from right field has the PU on 1BLX...that being said, there are other examples that might cite what you're saying...but to totally discredit my post is wrong on your part.
If throw is from LF, especially down the line, and you are on 1BLX, you are completely blocked from both a straight on tag AND the runner's first contact with the plate. If you're on 3BLXon this play, you better rotate around as the play comes in or you'll miss it. RF to 1BLX is a little better, as you can usually see the runner's foot - but you could be blocked by the catcher on some tags.
Old Tue Apr 17, 2007, 06:40pm
Stop staring at me swan.

sounds like a plan...thanks for clarifying
Old Tue Apr 17, 2007, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Yes, I'm sure I want to be there. Generally speaking, with a ball coming from RF, a swipe tag develops. However, you can get a blocking play at the plate also. Let the ball and the situation take you where you need to be. If the developing play looks like it is going to be a block of the plate, go 1BLX. Same as a throw from left field. Generaly speaking, a blocking play develops. go 1BLX. That allows you to see the blocking of the plate. However, you can also get a swipe tag situation develop with a throw off line, 3BLX is a better view of that.... now, all that said, use your eyes, feet and brain and try to get in the best postion possible for the play. Every play is different. As Jimmy would say, you have to umpire a little once in a while to get it right.