The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Diamond Mask (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/33701-diamond-mask.html)

uxley11 Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:53pm

Diamond Mask

I just got done with a game today using a Wilson mask. I was really not overly impressed with it, and I haven't been for a while, so I was thinking of getting a new mask. I have heard really good things about Diamond masks, and was wondering if anyone used them, or had an opinion on them. I know that they are also cheaper than the one I have now.

Also, I was wondering if a combo hat would work with Diamond masks. All the Wilson's I have tried don't work with a combo hat, and seeing as though I bought the combo because I didn't want to spend $40 on 2 of my associations hats (Plate and Base), I was wondering if they wouldn't come off when I took the mask off.

Thanks for any help.

SAump Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:46pm

Keep Wilson

A new mask is not gonna solve the hat problem.
Loosen the harness and practice removing it while wearing the combo hat.
Make sure you lift the face mask chin out and then up with your left hand.
Once the harness is loose, a tight hat should stay on.
The goal is to keep the hat on, but don't get bent out of shape if it comes off.
Grab it with your right hand and place into your left hand along with the mask.
Try to refit the combo cap as tightly as possible and practice again.
Usually after a few hot games, the head band readjusts to fit your crown.
If that doesn't work, purchase another plate hat one size smaller.
Keep the combo hat for bases.

GarthB Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by uxley11
I just got done with a game today using a Wilson mask. I was really not overly impressed with it, and I haven't been for a while, so I was thinking of getting a new mask. I have heard really good things about Diamond masks, and was wondering if anyone used them, or had an opinion on them. I know that they are also cheaper than the one I have now.

Also, I was wondering if a combo hat would work with Diamond masks. All the Wilson's I have tried don't work with a combo hat, and seeing as though I bought the combo because I didn't want to spend $40 on 2 of my associations hats (Plate and Base), I was wondering if they wouldn't come off when I took the mask off.

Thanks for any help.

How doesn't your mask "work" with a combo hat?

kylejt Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:27am

I use full size caps, not combos, with both my WV masks. It's not the masks.

I haven't seen a Diamond mask of any quality. But remember, no matter what anyone recommends, they're recommending for the shape of their own head. And everyone is different. My son hates my masks, and I'm not crazy about his. It's very personal.

Rich Mon Apr 16, 2007 08:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarthB
How doesn't your mask "work" with a combo hat?

I buy one hat. An 8-stitch. I used it on the plate yesterday.

EDIT: OK, I buy more than one hat, but all the hats I buy are 8-stitch.

GarthB Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
I buy one hat. An 8-stitch. I used it on the plate yesterday.

EDIT: OK, I buy more than one hat, but all the hats I buy are 8-stitch.

I always wore an 8 stitch with my West Vest mask and my PlusPos mask, but to be honest, I had to drop down to a 6 stitch when I bought the flat profile new Wilson.

This is just one of the reasons, the other being safety, that I've decided to replace this mask, even though I've only had it for about a month.

Rich Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarthB
I always wore an 8 stictch with my West Vest mask and my PlusPos mask, but to be honest, I had to drop down to a 6 stitch when I bought the flat profile new Wilson.

This is just one of the reasons, the other being safety, that I've decided to replace this mask, even though I've only had it for about a month.

Yesterday was difficult. I desperately need a haircut, so much so I reverted back to a cap and mask yesterday. First time since 2005 I wore it.

Today I'm getting the haircut, so tonight I'll be using the helmet.

SAump Mon Apr 16, 2007 09:35pm

See youtube video

http://forum.officiating.com/showthr...highlight=mask

See how easy the guy takes it on and off.
Practice, practice, practice.
Keep the Wilson.

ncump7 Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:36pm

Garth..
I had to do the same thing cap-wise when I switched from a WV to the new Wilson mask. The longer bill just would not work with the flatter front. There is a slight increase in visability with the Wilson and now my 8 stitch cap will look good longer just being used on the bases..
Bob