The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Question regarding sleeve color (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/33617-question-regarding-sleeve-color.html)

IceGator8 Thu Apr 12, 2007 01:55pm

Question regarding sleeve color

I was wondering if there are any regional differences between what's ok as far as sleeve color.

Last night my plate ump (who moved into our association from another place) made a pitcher take off his white Underarmour long sleeve undershirt at the opposing coaches request. I didn't challenge my partners decision because half the team was wearing white undershirts and the other half black. We all know that the sleeves of the undergarment must be uniform in color.

My partner stated that if one person on a team is going to wear an undergarment with sleeves then everyone else on the team has to wear them. Our local interp has always been that the players who wear a long sleeved undergarment must wear the same color but it's ok if if a player chooses not to wear the undergarment thus leaving his arms bare.

Anyway, I told him I'd take his argument to the board and get some opinions.

Thanks,

Eric

TNStripes Thu Apr 12, 2007 02:12pm

Rule 1-4-2: If the pitcher's undershirt sleeves are exposed, they shall not be white or gray.

IceGator8 Thu Apr 12, 2007 02:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TNStripes
Rule 1-4-2: If the pitcher's undershirt sleeves are exposed, they shall not be white or gray.

That's FED isn't it? What about OBR?

TNStripes Thu Apr 12, 2007 02:44pm

Not sure on OBR... should have stated that I was responding for FED rules.

Rich Ives Thu Apr 12, 2007 03:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IceGator8
That's FED isn't it? What about OBR?

OBR - no restrictions except uniform color.

LL cannot wear long white sleeves.

NCAA cannot wear white.

IceGator8 Thu Apr 12, 2007 03:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives
OBR - no restrictions except uniform color.

LL cannot wear long white sleeves.

NCAA cannot wear white.

Are teams considered to not be in compliance when some players elect not to wear the sleeves?

TussAgee11 Thu Apr 12, 2007 04:03pm

Yes, as long as what they wear is in complience with others on their team. i.e. everyone must wear a specific color undershirt if they choose to wear an undershirt.

So if Player A is wearing stirrups, and player B has his pants over his shoes, there is no problem.

RPatrino Thu Apr 12, 2007 04:10pm

I know it is in the rules, but is this a booger that anyone is really willing to pick? I say, pick your fights. Sleeve color and stirrup style isn't one I'm willing to go to battle over.

ozzy6900 Thu Apr 12, 2007 05:02pm

The whole White or Gray sleeve issue is really a bunch of BS! If you can't focus on the ball because F1 is wearing white or gray sleeves, you don't belong on the diamond! Maybe knitting would be better for you!

IceGator8 Thu Apr 12, 2007 05:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzy6900
The whole White or Gray sleeve issue is really a bunch of BS! If you can't focus on the ball because F1 is wearing white or gray sleeves, you don't belong on the diamond! Maybe knitting would be better for you!

I agree with you.

Rich Ives Thu Apr 12, 2007 05:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IceGator8
Are teams considered to not be in compliance when some players elect not to wear the sleeves?

Yes they are.

NickG Thu Apr 12, 2007 06:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzy6900

What about white or grey on the pitcher's glove -- 1.15(a). Perhaps there is a list of "approved" rules that we're entitled to ignore.

If a coach challenges nonconforming uniform or equipment, it would remiss to ignore or dismiss his complaint, don't you think?

Rich Ives Thu Apr 12, 2007 06:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickG
What about white or grey on the pitcher's glove -- 1.15(a). Perhaps there is a list of "approved" rules that we're entitled to ignore.

If a coach challenges nonconforming uniform or equipment, it would remiss to ignore or dismiss his complaint, don't you think?

He didn't say he wouldn't enforce it - he just said it's a stupid rule.

Heck, FED bans any white at all on a pitcher's glove - even in the logo.

RPatrino Thu Apr 12, 2007 08:10pm

While I agree the rule is stupid, I still carry a black sharpie to quickly remedy the white logo conundrum.

UmpJM Thu Apr 12, 2007 08:11pm

Bob,

I just have the pitcher rub a little dirt on the logo. In my judgment, it doesn't look white to me after that. ;)

JM