The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Do you use one ball bag or two? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/33398-do-you-use-one-ball-bag-two.html)

UMP25 Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:36am

Do you use one ball bag or two?

OK, I admit this might really be an inane question, but it's just out of curiosity, nothing more.

For years I had generally used one ball bag, then a few years back I went to using two. I just liked the way it looked. I dunno, maybe I somehow thought I was properly balanced. No tipping over for me. :p

Since I do mostly NCAA ball, which supplies me with a decent supply of balls at the start of the game, two ball bags are quite beneficial. It's the once in a while situation, particularly in summer collegiate ball, where you're given one or two baseballs then *****ed at when they get fouled out of play in the top of the 1st and you're out of balls that irks me. (I think I'm getting crankier in my advancing years.)

Two ball bags do make it easier to carry other things, too, sometimes, like my brush or indicator, which I otherwise would stick in my pocket when not in use.

Now, if anybody tells me they use the leather ball bags from Honig's, you should be slapped and forced to listen to Barbra Streisand and Cher albums; and of course, we know no one wears a ball bag on the bases, right? ;)

Wisscott Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:13am

I use two ball bags also. You can carry enough baseballs to generally not run out during an inning. Plus you can rotate the balls easier. If you have a ball that is marginal, put in in your left ball bag, and don't use it unless you completly run out. As you said, you also have a more balanced look.

UMP25 Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:45am

Plus, let's not forget that with two ball bags, it's easier to store your flask. :D

tjones1 Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UMP25
Now, if anybody tells me they use the leather ball bags from Honig's, you should be slapped and forced to listen to Barbra Streisand and Cher albums; and of course, we know no one wears a ball bag on the bases, right? ;)

I agree. :) However, I saw in their new catalog that they've taken them off the market. Obviously not very people bought into the idea, which is a good thing.

johnnyg08 Wed Apr 04, 2007 01:49pm

I just laughed when I saw the leather ball bags...softball used to use blue ones...maybe some guys still do...i don't work sb though so i'm not sure...

LMan Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:35pm

2 bags are a State requirement.

UmpJM Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:46pm

LMan,

What state? (Which states???)

What level? (All? Varsity only? Other?)

What color? (Matches.... Shirt? Pants? Accessories?)

How do you like the "feel" of the leather ones? ;)

JM

LMan Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:03pm

Alabama, all, dark blue (matches shirt), I have no idea. :D

umpduck11 Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMan
Alabama, all, dark blue (matches shirt), I have no idea. :D

According to our District Director, Gray bags are also approved. Black, however, are not.

UMP25 Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:08pm

Good God! The micromanaging, nanny state is everywhere! :rolleyes:

LMan Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by umpduck11
According to our District Director, Gray bags are also approved. Black, however, are not.

Really? My world is in tatters! I was lied to! I've been deceived! It was all Dick Cheney and Halliburton! No justice, no peace!

Thanks for the correction :)

UmpJM Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UMP25
Good God! The micromanaging, nanny state is everywhere! :rolleyes:

UMP25,

I was just curious.

For those states that permit gray, are the new "chaps" style plate pants "preferred" when wearing the leather ball bags?

JM

JRutledge Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:17pm

I just switched to two ball bags in the last couple of years. I did so mostly because when I would wear a plate coat I got used to putting things in both pockets. Most of my career I did not see a need for using two bags for some reason.

Peace

FTVMartin Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:02am

I've always worn one bag but I just moved to MI and am doing more cold weather games so I am going with 2 this year. Right side for good balls and left side for wet balls that I can dry between innings, a towel, and gloves.

BTW we are allowed gray or blue but most guys use gray.

UMP25 Thu Apr 05, 2007 02:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachJM
UMP25,

I was just curious.

For those states that permit gray, are the new "chaps" style plate pants "preferred" when wearing the leather ball bags?

JM

Now where's that smiley for biatch-slapping CoachJM? :D