The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 20, 2007, 01:34am
Official Forum Member

Review Wilson Chrome Moliben Mask

I purchased the mask from Hit, Run, Score for $64.99

The service was excellent and delivery prompt. I had the mask in four days (UPS Ground) and the shipping fees were less than half of what was being charged by someone selling the mask on EBay.

I have used the mask in four plate games so far.

The pros:

While not as light as the Plus POS Zero Gravity Mask, the Wilson is still a light mask.

The flatter profile brings the bars in closer and completely out of eyesight. The result is a larger unobstructed field of vision. I never see the bars while tracking the pitch.

The "full face" pads looked a bit strange at first, but are quite comfortable and are supposed to help spread and soften the impact of a hard hit.

As usual, I cut off the "T" portions of the straps. The mask is easily removable even while wearing my 8 stitch hat behind the plate.

The cons"

The throat guard is angled forward so severely that a dangling throat guard is a must, My old Plus POS throad guard extended straight down from the mask, but the Wilson has such an exteme angle that it would be easy to visualize a foul off the dirt coming up under the chin.

Also, I've learned that the PBUC evaluators have told this year's candidates that umpires wearing the Wilson and other flatter profile masks have experienced more concussions that would be expected. They believe the lack of the more domed shape of standard masks contributes to this by not spreading the force of impact evenly. They also report that MiLB umpires are reporting worse than average dings and dents from all composite, alloy and low profile masks.

So far, I haven't taken a hit to the mask. I'll be sure to report the result when I do.

Overall, the mask feels good and the view is excellent. I'll continue to use it despite the report from the MiLB umps for high school, but I'm looking for an alternative for college and semi-pro games.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2007, 01:46am
Archaic Power Monger

Thank you for the review Garth. I've been shopping for new equipment and while the low profile mask seems attractive, what you're saying about concussions is a concern for me since I've already had three from my high school football days.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2007, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
(PBUC evaluators) also report that MiLB umpires are reporting worse than average dings and dents from all composite, alloy and low profile masks.
Hmmmm.... I wish I would've known this about a month ago. I just purchased my second CM mask to replace the first, which was used just last season. I got a new one because I took a pretty good shot from a foul ball in a College Summer League game that left a considerable dent in one of the horizontal bars. I thought it was just a freak thing at the time, now I'm not so sure. I hope I'm not replacing this one in the near future for the same reason.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2007, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

I use the Wilson Chrome Moliben Mask and like it a lot. I have added a dangling throat guard to mine as well. I uderstand that it is only .12 pounds heavier than the +POS mask.

While working an adult league baseball game last week I took a foul ball that came just over F2's left shoulder and hit me directly in the mask. It gave me a headache but there was no damage to the mask.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2007, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme
I use the Wilson Chrome Moliben Mask and like it a lot. I have added a dangling throat guard to mine as well. I uderstand that it is only .12 pounds heavier than the +POS mask.

While working an adult league baseball game last week I took a foul ball that came just over F2's left shoulder and hit me directly in the mask. It gave me a headache but there was no damage to the mask.
The headache would worry me.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2007, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
The headache would worry me.
The headache went away quickly.

It was the hardest shot that I have ever taken in the mask in more than 20 years. An upper 90's fastball (scout with a gun was watching this F1) fouled slightly out of F2's reach and directly into my unmoving face. I was okay in a couple of seconds and survived to work the plate for the second game too (my partner 'chickened out' because the F1's were throwing so hard).
Old Tue Mar 20, 2007, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme
I was okay in a couple of seconds and survived to work the plate for the second game too (my partner 'chickened out' because the F1's were throwing so hard).

Time to find a new partner!
Old Tue Mar 20, 2007, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTex
Time to find a new partner!
You're right.....and for more reason than just his fear of the plate