The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   What is the longest game you have ever worked? Time and/or innings! (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/32567-what-longest-game-you-have-ever-worked-time-innings.html)

Durham Thu Mar 08, 2007 01:13pm

What is the longest game you have ever worked? Time and/or innings!

I had a very long one on Sat. The two teams used a combined 11 pitchers in an extra inning time fest. I'll share the game time soon, I just want to see what others have had to endure.

pingswinger Thu Mar 08, 2007 01:15pm

I had a barn burner that had two rain delays and final score was 24-21. 7 innings took us 4 hours 11 mins.

RPatrino Thu Mar 08, 2007 03:27pm

14 innings (7 inning game), 5+ hours. It was a state final game, 4 man crew, I was U3. This was a double elimination game, and I was slated to do the dish in the "if needed" game. Well, the 'if needed' game was needed. SO tack on another 2 hours and 7 innings to an already rather LONG day!!!!

uxley11 Thu Mar 08, 2007 04:10pm

1 hour 45 minutes. of course I dont work high school. That is the maximum I will everwork a game because at 1:45 I have been told to shut the game down.

mcrowder Thu Mar 08, 2007 04:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by uxley11
1 hour 45 minutes. of course I dont work high school. That is the maximum I will everwork a game because at 1:45 I have been told to shut the game down.

So .. you'll never work a tourney or playoff game?

My worst (although not the longest) was the first game of the morning, 1:15 time limit game that went 2:40 - even with ITB, no one could score. I can't even guess how many innings it went --- 17 or 18 I would guess. 1-0 game. Got far behind on my field, but also on other fields because of it. The trickle down had us adding some 7-8 games to Sunday.

Longest was just over 4 hours - typical 7-inning no-pitch walkathon high school game with no time limit.

Rich Thu Mar 08, 2007 05:04pm

I worked a 14-inning plate last year (or maybe 2005) that finished in 4:15. Adult 9-inning wood bat game.

I got hit hard on the plate shoe in the fourth inning and it hurt the rest of the game. Game ended on a walkoff 3-run HR in the bottom of the 14th.

Rcichon Thu Mar 08, 2007 05:09pm

3 Hours after the 4th inning.

Yep.

No time limit. Thank God we have no lights.

SanDiegoSteve Thu Mar 08, 2007 05:14pm

I have had a few very long extra-inning affairs which thankfully I have managed to put into the "forgetting" area of the brain.:cool:

My longest regulation 7 inning varsity game was 4 hrs. and 35 minutes, in which neither team's pitching could get anybody out. Just brutal.

DG Thu Mar 08, 2007 05:15pm

A single game, 12 innnings, 3:45. But I worked a DH by myself last year because partner did not show up, so it was 14 innings, 5 hours for the two.

rpumpire Thu Mar 08, 2007 06:10pm

Nightcap game of a doubleheader (different teams than in game one). The game had trudged along with both teams scoring in the double digits until the visitors finally took a 10-run lead in the top of the 6th. With two outs and R1 in the bottom of the inning, it looked like the mercy rule was going to get us off the field in just under 3 hours. However, a cocky F2 decided to try to pick R1 off. The ball rolled all the way to the wall with R1 coming all the way around to score and take us out of “mercy” status. In the top of the 7th, the visitors tacked on about a dozen more runs, the home team scored a bunch in the bottom of the inning, and the game didn’t end until nearly the 4 hour mark.

Justme Thu Mar 08, 2007 06:22pm

Quote:

1:45??? I wouldn't have even bothered to post that.

As best I can remember my longest game was just under 4 hours (no rain delay, extra innings) of boring Adult League baseball. My longest HS game was 3:20 (due to rain delay) for 7-innings -- last season.

briancurtin Thu Mar 08, 2007 08:49pm

13 innings on the plate -- a touch over 4 hours.

luckily it was a nice sunny day with a decent breeze, towards the end of september i believe. students gave up after 2 hours or so since i dont think anyone saw the last half of the game, which was unusual.

DG Thu Mar 08, 2007 09:04pm

Oh, I forgot a regular 7 inning 5.5 hour tournament game that included a rain delay, and a change from one soggy field to another one 10 miles away. Of course, most of the time was the delay and change of venue. The game itself probably lasted 2:30 or so.

greymule Thu Mar 08, 2007 09:36pm

Last summer 2 guys from our organization did a game in the LL District whatever girls' softball. There was a 10-run rule, but no time limit. Game began at 6 p.m. and ended at 10:10 p.m. (No extra innings, no delays for rain or injury.)

Long game, but they each hauled away 25 smackers for their efforts.

Final was 26-24. I understand there were some bases on balls.

bossman72 Thu Mar 08, 2007 09:43pm

longest game was probably only 2:50 with the final being 17-14.

Longest day, however, was when i was scheduled to work 2 games in a tourney (first 2 of the day) and the umpires didn't show up for the other 3, so that was 5 games that ran from probably 11am to 8pm.

LomUmp Fri Mar 09, 2007 01:12am

Hey all,

Men's adult league, slaughter rule after 7 innings...never made 6....3hrs 25mins...score 31-8 after 4 1/2 innings.

LomUmp:cool:

Durham Fri Mar 09, 2007 01:27am

Well I had a 16 inning plate job in MiLB that ended 2-1 that took 3:35 in Lexington, KY, but I had an 11 or 12 inning game on Sat that took 4:41. It ended 7-5 San Jose State over Santa Clara. The worst part was after the game my crew was meeting up with the Stanford/Cal crew that was 35 min down the road at Stanford. We met 3 blocks from the stadium that I worked at and they had the pizza and beer on the table waiting for us. That made me feel like 2 cents, LOL.

canadaump6 Fri Mar 09, 2007 08:22am

Quote:

The games I do usually have 1 hour 45 minute time limits, or 2 hour time limits, but we are never told to shut the game right down after that time. Rather no new inning may start after the time limit.

canadaump6 Fri Mar 09, 2007 08:23am

I had a championship game in which we got five innings done before the rain whiped the game out. We played the sixth inning the next week. One of the coaches was wondering why we didn't get to play the seventh, and it was due to a time limit rule:eek: .

Dave Hensley Fri Mar 09, 2007 08:24am

I remember a 15-16 yearold summer league playoff game that started at 7 and went 14 or maybe 15 innings and took us past the 11pm city park curfew. Coaches had to bribe the guy from the city who was there to turn off the lights. Game finished somewhere between 4 and 4 1/2 hours.

scarolinablue Fri Mar 09, 2007 09:57am

Had a Pony League game a couple of years ago that was still tied after the 10th inning (something like 12-12) and 3 hours. The lights, thankfully, were on a timer that automatically turned them off at 10:30 pm. My BU knew the combination to the timer box, but we weren't about to tell the other teams that.

ptmac Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:11am

The longest game? 13 year old game to deterimine which team would represent the province at Canadian Nationals. Game started at 8:30, called by darkeness at 10:59 when lights went out mid 12th inning, resumed next morning at 8:30 and went to 17 innings, finishing at 11:15 am. Final score 7-6. No time limit due to need to play to a winner......All for $25 Canadian (approx $2 USD). A great game, and felt priviledged to be a part of it.

TxUmp Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:29pm

17 innings

I worked a 17 inning game that was tied 2-2 after 7. Each team scored a run in the 9th innning. Each team scored 2 runs in the 13th (?) inning. Finally Shane Lechler (now the Pro Bowl punter for the Oakland Raiders) ended it with a home run in the 17th inning at 1:40 AM.

But the real kicker is that this was the 2nd game of a JV/Varsity doubleheader. We walked on the field at 4:00 PM and finally left at a quarter till two in the morning.:cool:

Rich Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptmac
The longest game? 13 year old game to deterimine

Well, that's got me beat. I've never had a game last 13 years.

PeteBooth Fri Mar 09, 2007 01:39pm

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Durham
I had a very long one on Sat. The two teams used a combined 11 pitchers in an extra inning time fest. I'll share the game time soon, I just want to see what others have had to endure.

I was umpiring a Sr. league LL game 4 hours and 45 minutes in the heat.

On the last play of the game, I called a runner out at third base which would have been the potential tying run.

the coach took a couple of steps out of the dugout to talk to me and with sweat pouring all over me I said:

"Skip do not even waste your time" and headed for my car.

Generally speaking stay away from umpiring LL Jr. and even Sr. division games as most of the players are "leftovers" who didn't make the travel or HS teams. The FEE isn't worth it. Terrible baseball if you can even call it baseball.

The mens leagues are next in line. They were getting so bad we were going to refuse to service them unless they put in time limits. In addition to the mercy rule the mens leagues have time limits. 9 innings is a 3 hr time limit and 7 innings is a 2.5 hr time limit. otherwise you could be there all day.

Pete Booth

Welpe Fri Mar 09, 2007 04:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeteBooth

Generally speaking stay away from umpiring LL Jr. and even Sr. division games as most of the players are "leftovers" who didn't make the travel or HS teams. The FEE isn't worth it. Terrible baseball if you can even call it baseball.

I'm sorry to hear that. The Jr/Sr LL teams where I used to work were pretty good. I have no idea how they are now as I left the area for college 5 years ago.

SanDiegoSteve Fri Mar 09, 2007 05:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe
I'm sorry to hear that. The Jr/Sr LL teams where I used to work were pretty good. I have no idea how they are now as I left the area for college 5 years ago.

I have found that the quality of Jr/Sr LL baseball varies from area to area. For instance, here in San Diego it is just awful baseball, except for (gonna give a shout out here) Eastlake Jr/Sr, where it is similar to JV, and occasionally Varsity quality.

What I have found is that where there is a PONY baseball program in the same area as a Jr/Sr league, the better players tend to play Pony/Colt rather than Jr/Sr. The leftovers who weren't good enough to play in PONY baseball then opt for Jr/Sr.

In the case of Eastlake, there is no PONY baseball in the immediate area (Chula Vista is the nearest city to Eastlake with PONY baseball), so the talent pool is much larger because of this.

Welpe Fri Mar 09, 2007 07:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
What I have found is that where there is a PONY baseball program in the same area as a Jr/Sr league, the better players tend to play Pony/Colt rather than Jr/Sr. The leftovers who weren't good enough to play in PONY baseball then opt for Jr/Sr.

Interesting. I haven't seen much in the way of PONY teams when I was working up in the SF Bay Area. I usually only ran into them at USSSA tournaments. They seemed to be about the caliber as the better local Little League teams.

As a whole PONY doesn't seem to be too popular there.

Whoops....looks like we hijacked this a bit.

DG Fri Mar 09, 2007 08:35pm

It is my observation that the best players go to the best run programs where the best competition exists. They don't care if it's Pony or LL or Babe Ruth or whatever.

rei Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:49am

Portland Beavers vs Salt Lake Bees, 3 hrs, 36 mins. :(

Went right from that game to do a NAIA game that lasted 3 hrs 15 mins. :(

It was a LONG day!!!