The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 03, 2007, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Plus POS Zero Gravity

I have defended the Zero Gravity mask for over two years now. It was sent to me to try out and I bought it after using it in just one game. I loved the view and the weight.

Over time, people kept complaining about dents and dings and, while my mask had taken several hard hits, it was holding up fine. Nothing to report, and I was confused by the all negative comments from others.

This past week, I was working a scrimmage and took two fouls to the mask. When I got home, my son looked at the mask and asked, "What the hell happened to you?"

I examined the mask and saw that the two hits, nearly in the exact same spot on the vertical supports to the upper horizontal bar, had pushed the support inward and the horizontal bar downward, squeezing it towards the bar below it and reducing the major view opening by over 1/4 inch.

I wouldn't trust it in another game.

I've ordered the new Wilson on line and will be wearing my old West Vest mask until it arrives.

Last edited by GarthB; Sun Mar 04, 2007 at 12:20am.
Old Sat Mar 03, 2007, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

This is a good point for all umpires to remember. The moment you get equipment that becomes damaged, it's best to replace or repair it immediately.

Protective gear that fails to protect is the same as not even wearing it.

An umpire has to trust his protective gear, if that trust is not there, that makes for some bad experiences.

Personally, I buy a new mask every 3-5 years even if the mask is not seriously damaged. It's only a matter of time before something happens.
Old Sat Mar 03, 2007, 09:16pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
I have defended the Zero Gravity mask for over two years now. It was sent to me to try out and I bought it after using it in just one game. I loved the view and the weight.

Over time, people kept complaining about dents and dings and, while my mask had taken several hard hits, it was holding up fine. Nothing to report, and I was confused by the all negative comments from others.

This past week, I was working an scrimmage and took two fouls to the mask. When I got home, my son looked at the mask and asked, "What the hell happened to you?"

I examined the mask and saw that the two hits, nearly in the exact same spot on the vertical supports to the upper horizontal bar, had pushed the support inward and the horizontal bar downward, squeezing it towards the bar below it and reducing the major view opening by over 1/4 inch.

I wouldn't trust it in another game.

I've ordered the new Wilson on line and will be wearing my old West Vest mask until it arrives.
Mine dented on the first foul ball. In the first game (a JuCo) I worked.

Which Wilson? Be sure to post a review.
Old Sun Mar 04, 2007, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
Mine dented on the first foul ball. In the first game (a JuCo) I worked.

Which Wilson? Be sure to post a review.
The Wilson Chrome Moliben Alloy mask.

The one negative I see so far, is that it appears that the throat guard is angled forward far more than my Zero Gravity. I may have to wear a dangler as a result.

I was tempted to try the Schutt, but I couldn't find enough information on it or anyone with direct experience with it, so I chickened out.
Old Sun Mar 04, 2007, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Plus POS Zero Gravity

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmblue
This is a good point for all umpires to remember. The moment you get equipment that becomes damaged, it's best to replace or repair it immediately.

Protective gear that fails to protect is the same as not even wearing it.

An umpire has to trust his protective gear, if that trust is not there, that makes for some bad experiences.

Personally, I buy a new mask every 3-5 years even if the mask is not seriously damaged. It's only a matter of time before something happens.
This is a point all umpires should HEED. Minor league umpires suffered facial injuries while wearing the plus POS zero gravity mask. Any minor league umpire who still wears this mask is ignoring good advice from his colleagues; that is, "NOT to wear the plus POS zero gravity mask behind the plate. It is my opinion that not a single umpire in the PRO ranks continues to wear the plus POS zero gravity mask.

Many umpires on this website have also recounted how this particular mask was bent out of shape in one way or another. It is clear that this mask is defective, and dangerous, and that the mask should be subject to recall by its manufacturer. I also ask that if you get rid of it, you also attach a warning label to it so that others may also heed the same warning. It should be considered as more of a toy or costume piece and no longer be considered protective equipment.

PS: Talking about the triangular plastic composite bars on a lightweight mask no longer avaialable from Plus POS.

Last edited by SAump; Mon Mar 05, 2007 at 09:30pm.
Old Sun Mar 04, 2007, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

From experience, I concur. The +POS Zero Gravity is a P-O-S.
Old Sun Mar 04, 2007, 05:47pm

Hollow tubes.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25