The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Evans Clinic advice??? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/32159-evans-clinic-advice.html)

PFISTO Sat Feb 24, 2007 06:15am

Evans Clinic advice???

I am going to attend a 3 day Evans clinic next weekend and was wondering from someone who has been to one of these if there is anything special I should be prepared for besides the obvious Don't be late, have all equiptment, ready to take notes etc
Thanks Mike

MadCityRef Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:28am

Dress for the bases. Have your plate gear. Listen. Have fun.

GarthB Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:22pm

I've attended an Evans seven day camp and a weekend clinic. It's difficult, at the weekend clinics, to get the reps you'd like. Don't be a wallflower. Get in the front of the line, don't be afraid to make a mistake or be critiqued. Get back in line right away and pay attention to those going through the drill and how they are being critiqued.

Listen, listen, listen.

At the initial sitdown session, take notes.

Have fun. (And keep any questions about third world plays to a minimum.)

Rich Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarthB
I've attended an Evans seven day camp and a weekend clinic. It's difficult, at the weekend clinics, to get the reps you'd like. Don't be a wallflower. Get in the front of the line, don't be afraid to make a mistake or be critiqued. Get back in line right away and pay attention to those going through the drill and how they are being critiqued.

Listen, listen, listen.

At the initial sitdown session, take notes.

Have fun. (And keep any questions about third world plays to a minimum.)

And don't mention anything about the Internets.

PFISTO Sun Feb 25, 2007 07:57am

Thanks for your input. I'm looking forward to hearing about what I'm doing wroung ( not much I hope)

GarthB Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by PFISTO
Thanks for your input. I'm looking forward to hearing about what I'm doing wroung ( not much I hope)

Don't worry about it. The more you hear, the better you'll be when it's over.

lawump Mon Feb 26, 2007 04:57pm

I have not taught at Jim Evan's camp/clinic. However, I have taught at other weekend clinics/camps run by other MLB umpires. With that said: follow T's advice. Keep your war stories to yourself until you have the clinic's dinner on Saturday night (if you do have one) and don't ask the pro guys to tell their war stories unless he volunteers the information.

Don't ask "what's (insert player's name here) really like"? If the MLB guy wants to talk war stories...he will...on his terms.

The MLB guys I've worked with are here to teach...its not a fantasy camp for umpire jock sniffers.

newump Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:12pm

evans clinic

evans is a great speaker and teacher. he has tons of great info and great war stories. i'm sure you'll get a dose of both. enjoy