The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Definition of an Umpire (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/31965-definition-umpire.html)

LLPA13UmpDan Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:36pm

Definition of an Umpire

What exactly is the Definition of an umpire, and what exactly is their duties?

What I think:

Enforce the Rules as they need to be to keep a level playing field
Proper Conduct- fancy term for "behavior"

The umpire is the one who is responsible for the game; he is "in charge", and should A. Ensure no team is gaining an advantage; by enforcing rules and to B. Keep behavior issues under control and out of the game. Coaches, Managers, and Players should be dealt with accordingly when not acting appropriately. The umpire should be firm and do as necessary to keep the game going fairly.

Any one disagree; your thoughts?

GarthB Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LLPA13UmpDan

What I think:

The umpire is the one who is responsible for the game; he is "in charge", and should A. Ensure no team is gaining an advantage; by enforcing rules and to B. Keep behavior issues under control and out of the game. Coaches, Managers, and Players should be dealt with accordingly when not acting appropriately. The umpire should be firm and do as necessary to keep the game going fairly.

My though is that this is another good reason for you to read a rulebook.

From the OBR:

9.01(a) The league president shall appoint one or more umpires to officiate at each league championship game. The umpires shall be responsible for the conduct of the game in accordance with these official rules and for maintaining discipline and order on the playing field during the game.

9.01(b) Each umpire is the representative of the league and of professional baseball, and is authorized and required to enforce all of these rules. Each umpire has authority to order a player, coach, manager or club officer or employee to do or refrain from doing anything which affects the administering of these rules, and to enforce the prescribed penalties.

9.01 1(c) Each umpire has authority to rule on any point not specifically
covered in these rules.

901(d) Each umpire has authority to disqualify any player, coach, manager
or substitute for objecting to decisions or for unsportsmanlike conduct or language, and to eject such disqualified person from the playing field. If an umpire disqualifies a player while a play is in progress, the disqualification shall not take effect until no further action is possible in that play.

9.01(e) Each umpire has authority at his discretion to eject from the playing field (1) any person whose duties permit his presence on the field, such as ground crew members, ushers, photographers, newsmen, broadcasting crew members, etc., and (2) any spectator or other person not authorized to be on the playing field.

bluezebra Sun Feb 18, 2007 02:45pm

Don't forget the most important trait of all. You must be a MASOCHIST.

Bob

bossman72 Sun Feb 18, 2007 05:43pm

This thread has no point. This topic contributes nothing to help other umpires, or, as Tee would put it, WOBW.

GarthB Sun Feb 18, 2007 05:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bossman72
This thread has no point. This topic contributes nothing to help other umpires, or, as Tee would put it, WOBW.

Excellent observation.

Now, then, combining the conflicting opinons from another WOBW thread by Rich, should young Dan have the right to delete it? The answer would then resolve a WOBW question in a WOBW thread using positions posted in different WOBW thread.

DonInKansas Sun Feb 18, 2007 05:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAump
But LLDan didn't really understand that there point. I think he thought it would help. I think he hasn't noticed others are now beginning to start their baseball seasons. I,I,I,I believe Tee would agree. I have been wrong before.

I don't understand THEIR point either;)

GarthB Sun Feb 18, 2007 05:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonInKansas
I don't understand THEIR point either;)

No, that there as, "Ah'm gonna go git that there rake and whoop up on the pahn needles in mah yard."

canadaump6 Mon Feb 19, 2007 01:13am

I like to break the umpire's responsibilities into 3 different categories:
1) Making judgement calls
2) Knowing and enforcing the rules
3) Maintaining the safety and sportsmanship of the game

Dave Hensley Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:22am

Quote:

Coaches, Managers, and Players should be dealt with accordingly when not acting appropriately. The umpire should be firm and do as necessary to keep the game going fairly.

What does this statement mean to you, Dan? What specifically constitutes "acting accordingly?" Your "definition" is mostly just a badly-written top-level summary.

Where's the beef?

LLPA13UmpDan Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Hensley
What does this statement mean to you, Dan? What specifically constitutes "acting accordingly?" Your "definition" is mostly just a badly-written top-level summary.

Where's the beef?

Dave if you would understand English, re-read what you just quoted. I did not say "acting accordingly", I said "acting appropriately." And to add to that, they should be dealt with as such when needed.

ctblu40 Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:39am

Quote:

Dave if you would understand English, re-read what you just quoted. I did not say "acting accordingly", I said "acting appropriately." And to add to that, they should be dealt with as such when needed.

Dan-
You are way too confrontational when it comes to dealing with the coaches and managers. The proof is in the pudding of your posts.

If you don't feel like I'm being too bold, what was your EJ/game ratio last season?

Dave Hensley Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:52am

Quote:

Good god, boy, are you on drugs?

My question to you is WHERE IS THE BEEF? What does "dealt with accordingly" mean, son? Give examples, be specific. That's the only way anyone here can help you.

My suspicion is that you think dealing "accordingly" with game participants who behave inappropriately means ejecting those participants. Your lack of willingness to listen and learn the finer points of game management, instead just throwing out general bromides about being in charge and dealing accordingly with inappropriate behavior, is probably what caused your assignor (as well as Andy Konyar, if I recall your story correctly) to suggest that you should take a year off from umpiring.

I know you're an adolescent, but you appear to remain more child than man at this point in your life, and umpiring at any serious level is an adult job. You need to gain some maturity, some significant improvement in your communicative skills, and a better balance between confidence, which is a good thing but you have more than you've earned, and humility, which is also a good thing and you have almost none.

mcrowder Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:55am

Quote:

All I'm sure of from this post is that there's no way in hell you'd ever work for me. Not if your on field attitude matches your posting attitude. You've come nowhere near the right to be "holier than thou", yet you continue to behave like a 12 year old with a chip on his shoulder.

Learn.

Then learn some more.

Then come back here and post.

LMan Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:04pm

My, my. Feeding the trolls doesn't ever seem to get old around here.

More's the pity.

Justme Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:08pm

Quote:

What I think:

Dan,

Tell me and please be truthful:

1. How do you feel when you walk on the field?

2. Do you feel 'powerful' and 'in charge'? Maybe a feeling that you've never had at home?

3. How does it make you feel when you eject a coach? A chance to boss around an adult?

4. What is your opinion of the coaches before a game? Are they out to show you up? Maybe they're going to cheat to win? Are they just another adult that has power over kids? What do you think?

5. When you 'kick' a call how does that make you feel? Maybe just part of the game and the coaches will just have to live with it?

6. How do you feel when you 'kick' a call and the coach comes out to talk to you about it because it cost him a run or was just so bad that everyone in the house saw it but you? Do you think here comes an adult to holler at me, I'll show him?

Tell me young Dan the Umpire Man, how does all of this power make you feel?