The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   rule question - award (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/31480-rule-question-award.html)

newump Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:37pm

rule question - award

sit - ball 4 to the batter is in the dirt and the ball glances off the catcher's shin guard and goes into the dugout. what is the award? does it change in fed, ncaa, obr? i believe BR is awarded 1st if the ball doesn't hit the catcher and goes out of play, does it make a difference if it hits the catcher?
thanks.

bob jenkins Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:44pm

1st base; all codes.

MadCityRef Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:08am

Any runners are awarded one base from time of pitch.

bossman72 Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by newump
sit - ball 4 to the batter is in the dirt and the ball glances off the catcher's shin guard and goes into the dugout. what is the award? does it change in fed, ncaa, obr? i believe BR is awarded 1st if the ball doesn't hit the catcher and goes out of play, does it make a difference if it hits the catcher?
thanks.

bob's got it.

You have to determine which gave the impetus to cause the ball go out of play. If the impetus of the pitch itself causes a ball to go out of play (as in a deflection) then it's only 1 base.

However if something else caused the ball to go out of play, award 2 bases. Say for example the pitch deflects of the catcher's shin guard and is rolling towards the dugout opening but is going to settle about 10 ft short of the dugout. As the catcher is going for the ball, he kicks the ball out of play. Since the impetus of the kick caused the ball to go out of play and not the impetus of the pitch, it's a 2 base award.

Hopefully that clears things up for you. Good luck!

Forest Ump Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by newump
thanks.

In OBR its a dead ball, batter is protected to first, all runners move up one base from their TOP base. It doesn't make a difference if it hits the catcher. If it doesn’t go out of play it's a live ball and continuous action takes place. Let's say it's a third strike and not ball four. The batter would still go to first on the deflected ball going into DBT and the runners would move up one base from TOP.

Blue37 Wed Feb 07, 2007 03:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by boyinblue24
yup 1st base & FP for everyone else.

"FP"?

Do you know Bo Davies? He was a defensive back at USC in the late 60's early 70's and still holds (I think) the school record for career interceptions. He was drafted in the 5th round by the Saints. He lives in Greenville.

LMan Wed Feb 07, 2007 04:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by boyinblue24
No, sorry i don't. FP means force play.

A force play on a dead ball award?

Ohhhh, this should be good.

*popcorn crunching sounds*

BigUmp56 Wed Feb 07, 2007 05:00pm

It pains me to admit that I understood what he was saying. All runners forced by the award move up one base without liability to be put out.

Tim.

LMan Wed Feb 07, 2007 05:04pm

Oh, I know too....but I was trying to make a small point.

There's a difference between a runner forced to advance by reason of an award and a force play (which is clearly defined in the rules). One results in an out, the other does not.

Completely different animals.

Rich Ives Wed Feb 07, 2007 07:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMan
Oh, I know too....but I was trying to make a small point.

There's a difference between a runner forced to advance by reason of an award and a force play (which is clearly defined in the rules). One results in an out, the other does not.

Completely different animals.

One results in an out, the other does not.

Not necessarily. You can lose your right to a base (force play) but not end up out. Heck, a grand slam creates a force play.