The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 06, 2007, 02:58am

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrego
Hey Tim, that's perfectly fine. You tried it, and prefer not to wear one. I will listen to, and respect, anyone's opinion of HSM's who has actually tried one.
Well, I tried one for two years. I gave it two full seasons of a tryout. When I return to umpiring, I'm going back to a mask and 6-stitch hat. Typical reasons, the heat, the noise, the ringing of the ears. You really do feel like you have gotten your bell rung much more than with a mask.

Now, Nick...I think you need to respect everyone's opinion on the subject of HSM's, not just the people who have tried them. You don't need to eat horse poop to know that it doesn't taste good, and some folks know without a doubt that they would not like the helmet either. You can't expect people to switch over, or even try the HSM. Their opinion is just as valid as those who have tried them.
Old Tue Feb 06, 2007, 03:07am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Now, Nick...I think you need to respect everyone's opinion on the subject of HSM's, not just the people who have tried them. You don't need to eat horse poop to know that it doesn't taste good, and some folks know without a doubt that they would not like the helmet either. You can't expect people to switch over, or even try the HSM. Their opinion is just as valid as those who have tried them.
He does not have to respect everyone's opinion on this or any subject. I just do not understand why he spends so much time beating everyone over the head with something he likes. I do not like Blondes and I really do not care what others think about my preference. Who cares what you use as a personal item?

Peace
Old Tue Feb 06, 2007, 03:15am

Nobody has to respect anything, of course Rut. It is just impolite to only respect a certain group's opinion over another group's.
Old Tue Feb 06, 2007, 03:32am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Nobody has to respect anything, of course Rut. It is just impolite to only respect a certain group's opinion over another group's.
You completely missed the point. Whether he respects other's opinions is not the issue. Even if he respects everyone's opinion, it is frankly not going to change anything. It is not an issue of respect of one’s opinion. Get over it already, no one is going to change something like that based only on a thread or two about non-related issues.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 06, 2007, 03:56am

No, the point of his post was that he only respects people's opinions who have actually tried an HSM. The point I'm making is that he should respect those who choose not to try them. Their opinion is just as important as anyone else's opinion. Just like my opinion here is just as valid and important as the point you are trying to make.

I didn't miss any point. Your point is your point, and you look at everything from your point of view. I have my own point I'm making here, and you keep arguing with me about what the damn point is. Whether he respects others' opinions is the issue here, for me, and only for me, apparently.

I was not responding to your point to begin with. My post was separate from yours. All you had to say on the subject was that he would never learn. I had other things I felt like saying. Me, not you, OK? I mean, is it alright if I express my own opinions, make my own points?
Old Tue Feb 06, 2007, 12:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
No, the point of his post was that he only respects people's opinions who have actually tried an HSM. The point I'm making is that he should respect those who choose not to try them. Their opinion is just as important as anyone else's opinion. Just like my opinion here is just as valid and important as the point you are trying to make.
That is nice, but you seemed to have more of a dog in this fight than I do.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 06, 2007, 06:07pm

Woof, woof, bow wow.
Old Tue Feb 06, 2007, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe he got hit in this mask???

http://photos.signonsandiego.com/gal...1C_pobj_MINI_1

I have seen several catchers hit with the HSM and have seen everything from nothing to the mask shattering (Rawlings Coolflo).
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
More value for Nick!

Well, now he has the perfect HSM accessory in his new forearm guards.

(LLDan ordered the DeLuxe Guards-w-Sweatband (c) option)

Somehow, it just seems fitting.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyinblue24
Has anyone every read the story about a LL ump named Donald Jensen? Long story short he was an ump that was calling a game & bat was thrown & wacked him in the head. Later that night when he was laying up in the hospital he wrote a story that inspired everyone involved w/ baseball. Everyone. That story is for another time. The next day he died from brain failure. That was LL. If it can happen in LL it can happen in your league too. A HSM will protect your whole head. btw did anyone see the Braves vs Marlins game the previous season? It was where (I think it was Davis) that got hit with a top of a bat that broke off, swung around & caught him under chin & ended the game early for him. He's fine but a few days later he was calling a game w/ a huge mark on the side of his face!
If you're positioned properly a thrown bat will not be able to hit you in the back of the head. They say lightening can strike out of a clear blue sky. I suppose we should start dragging around an electrode with us to keep safe from that anomaly too.

Tim.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

If you feel that you need to wear a suit of armor to protect yourself from balls and bats, feel free to wear that. Just don't complain or try to qualify your decision with stupid citings. If you want to wear a HSM, go ahead and wear it! If you want to wear arm guards, go ahead and wear them!

Just don't preach as if you are the sole authority on the dingle-dangle or HSM! For just as you can come up with your feeble citings, there are many of us that have been umpiring better than a quarter of a century that have never had any of this stuff happen to us!
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Has anyone every read the story about a LL ump named Donald Jensen? Long story short he was an ump that was calling a game & bat was thrown & wacked him in the head. . . . The next day he died from brain failure. That was LL. If it can happen in LL it can happen in your league too.
Yes. I read about it here: http://www.snopes.com/glurge/umpire.asp
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 03:46pm

Quote:
umm ok I don't need ANYONE yelling at me! I might be young but I have a lot of experience. And that's bs position doesn't matter. Davis was @ home in the box. I'd say position had nothing to do with it. He was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Umm, ya know, it's like, ya know, you really do need someone to, like, give you, ya know, umm, a clue here. You, like, really don't have, umm, any experience if you are 16 years old, while most people here were, like, umpiring way before you were just a gleam in yo daddy's eye.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
umm ok I don't need ANYONE yelling at me! I might be young but I have a lot of experience.
Only experience you have is at being young.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 08:40pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
My officiating.com e-mail address is always available.

[email protected]

Regards,
Tee, is there no "n" at the end of your name on e-mail address?