The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 06:06am
Official Forum Member

To Pleat or not to Pleat

Just a quick question here. I'm about to get a couple pair of pants and was wondering what everyone's thoughts were as far as getting pants with Pleats or No Pleats and perhaps why????
Thanks Mike
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 06:09am
Official Forum Member

It is a matter of personal style (IMHO)

I, too have the same concerns and after looking at photos of other umps in action and the offerings from the various suppliers I have decided to pleat as a matter of personal style. It does not matter as long as they fit well. Just make sure they are high quality not dockers or haggars or some other department store trousers.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 07:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFISTO
Just a quick question here. I'm about to get a couple pair of pants and was wondering what everyone's thoughts were as far as getting pants with Pleats or No Pleats and perhaps why????
Thanks Mike
To be blunt, it depends how fat you are! I wear pleats because I am a tad overweight. Non-pleated pants look better on young, slender bucks - not on old, fat farts (like most of us veterans)!
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

AAAHHH that hurts. But you are correct. I would consider myself pleasntly plump. 5.9" 194 lbs.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
To be blunt, it depends how fat you are! I wear pleats because I am a tad overweight. Non-pleated pants look better on young, slender bucks - not on old, fat farts (like most of us veterans)!
That doesn't make any sense, you stated why you shouldn't wear the pleats, but you wear them anyway! No pleats for me, 6', 230 lbs. Fecheimer base or plate pants only.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 08:16am
Do not give a damn!!

I wear pleated pants and I am not overweight. I think they look better and they are more comfortable. Non-pleats look more old fashion to me. It really is a personal choice in the end. I do not think it matters either way as long as they look good on you.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Delaware Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
At 53 I'm not a young buck, but I am 5'10" and 150 pounds so I do qualify as slender. I wear pleated pants on the field because I like a little extra room and I find pleated pants more comfortable.

I've heard that some associations dictate flat front pants. Ours does not. It's mostly our local "old-timers" who stay with the flat front pants. They say it’s a more traditional look. But I've seen a few umpires wearing flat front pants who need to switch to pleated pants, buy some new flat front pants that are a size or two larger, or find a tailor who can "let out" a little extra room in the seat. I think flat front pants show if someone is sized challenged a little more than pleated pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
In 2007 "Andy" (i.e. see "Ask Andy") reports that more pleated pants than flat front will be sold in America for the first time in history.
When it comes to "street dress" I usually wear flat front pants. Flat front pants in general are getting more difficult to locate even in some of the more "upscale" mens shops I frequent. In Dover, "upscale" is something better than Walmart.

Last edited by Delaware Blue; Thu Jan 18, 2007 at 10:04am.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 10:12am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
According to "fashion experts" pleated pants simply make overweight people look, well FAT.

In 2007 "Andy" (i.e. see "Ask Andy") reports that more pleated pants than flat front will be sold in America for the first time in history.

Rich Fronheiser (a semi-regular here) will tell you that pleats are the only way to go . . . personally I am a flat front guy.

BTW, HONIGS stocks ONLY pleated pants in their blend pants.

One Rule ~ One Interpretation ~ One Mechanic
I wear pleats and I am not a skinny guy. But I don't wear them to look thinner or anything like that -- I wear them simply cause I like the look better. I wear pleats in baseball and basketball.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 10:13am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
According to "fashion experts" pleated pants simply make overweight people look, well FAT.

Rich Fronheiser (a semi-regular here) will tell you that pleats are the only way to go . . . personally I am a flat front guy.

BTW, HONIGS stocks ONLY pleated pants in their blend pants.

One Rule ~ One Interpretation ~ One Mechanic
3300 posts makes me a semi-regular?
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Prunes make me semi-regular. Who is "Andy", by the way?

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

I also prefer pleats at 6'3" and 180lbs. I find flat front pants allow "other things" to be a little more out there than I would like on a baseball diamond especially with a cup underneath.