The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Most embarrassing Moment (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/29371-most-embarrassing-moment.html)

tibear Thu Nov 09, 2006 02:38pm

Most embarrassing Moment

Now that the season is over(long since over for those of us in Canada), thought I would ask something light-hearted about your most embarrasing moment while umpiring. Could be an obvious flubbed call or anything else.

Mine is during my first year of umpiring and of course didn't have all of the official equipment or clothing. As a result of not using umpire pants, when I took my "stance" I heard a huge "rip" and it suddenly got very drafty! Of course it happened very early in the game and I didn't bring extra pants(I do now!!) so I had to complete the game in "windy" conditions.
Everyone had a good laugh and we simply continued with the game, although I do recall a couple of comments about "blowing" some calls! :)

Tim C Thu Nov 09, 2006 03:12pm

Well,

I have two (you can pick which is worse):

1) I am working the plate. F2 calls for a pitch out and jumps outside . . . ball comes directly at me and I CATCH IT!

2) R1 and I am in "B". F1 tosses over a couple of times with a slow motion. No real play so I say nuttin' . . . then he whirls and fires and I yell "GET BACK!" . . .

Regards,

canablue05 Thu Nov 09, 2006 03:13pm

I rang a guy up on strike 2 in a college game last spring. I think it was about my third game of the year. Some winter rust I supposse. Needless to say the batter was impressed. I rang him up again on the next pitch.

MD Longhorn Thu Nov 09, 2006 04:07pm

Long long ago...

No one out, no one on. Pop up to the SS.

"INFIELD FLY!!!!" I pointed up at it even. Ugh.

orioles35 Thu Nov 09, 2006 05:33pm

I was in "B", routine single to the outfield, throw comes into 2nd and I'm watching the whole thing. For some reason, the 2nd baseman throws ME the ball...and I CATCH it. I quickly dropped it, like it was on fire.

SanDiegoSteve Thu Nov 09, 2006 05:42pm

Four years ago, working solo JV game, routine ground ball to F4, I start around the catcher to hustle out for my angle, catcher drop steps with his left leg, trips me as I'm running. I fall spread eagled on my face, breaking the fall with both hands to keep my face out of the dirt.

I arose to my knees in time to see the play at first, and called the runner out from my knees. I skinned up both palms, and was covered in dirt, and needless to say, embarrassed.:o

waltjp Thu Nov 09, 2006 05:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim C
I have two (you can pick which is worse):

1) I am working the plate. F2 calls for a pitch out and jumps outside . . . ball comes directly at me and I CATCH IT!

2) R1 and I am in "B". F1 tosses over a couple of times with a slow motion. No real play so I say nuttin' . . . then he whirls and fires and I yell "GET BACK!" . . .

The second situation made me laugh. In the first I'm hoping the pitcher wasn't throwing any real heat.

bobbybanaduck Thu Nov 09, 2006 07:10pm

try this on for size...

wearing my brand spankin new honigs plate shoes they sent me as a replacement for their 2nd plate job. mind you, though these are the same exact size as my old ones, for some reason they are almost 2 sizes too big. i have extra socks on, and have stuffed toilet paper up n the toes to try and combat the issue. anyway...

R1, base hit. i head up to third, but the ball is misplayed in the OF. sooo, i turn and head back to the plate, only my right shoe doesn't feel like making the trip. i continued to the plate area with one shoe on and let the play finish. i then went to retrieve it and the 3rd base bench is in stitches. i hear the head coach say, "i knew you were fast, but that's just ridiculous." fyi, i wear a size 16, so there was no missing the thing sittin there 3/4 of the way up the line....

D-Man Thu Nov 09, 2006 07:20pm

I'm working in a 3 man crew in the Cape Cod Baseball league. It's a Saturday night, game of the week and I'm the 3B umpire in the C pos, R1, R2. R2 tries to steal third. I take my steps and plant my foot to get an angle for the play at third and whoop.... I slip and fall flat on my keyster. With impeccable timing (because I had to get myself up from the wet grass) I come up with the safe call. Then I call time so about 1500 fans and I can stop laughing.

D

jicecone Thu Nov 09, 2006 07:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tibear
Most Embarrasing Moment

Happened about two years ago. American Legion (16-19) game under the lights at local stadium, about 250 in attendance, two top teams, 2nd game of double header.

I leave my strike zone in the car in between games and the more I try to recover the worst it gets. After making it through 6 with numerous, numerous comments and just when I think it is going to get better, a low breaking pitch (never in the strike zone), almost takes the batters toes off, I call "strike."

The announcer says ball 1 and after the next pitch (batter swings and misses)
I correct the count on the scoreboard to 0-2. I hear over the loudspeaker "that terrible." I turnaround and it certainly seemed as though 250 people were all over my butt. I had NOWHERE to hide, just turned back around and continued to suck, even in extra innings. (PLEASE let me go home.)

Fortunately, no team won or lost because of me.

At the end of the game the catcher turns around and says, "Blue, you really sucked tonight." He was right. I handed the two basballs to him and said "Son, your absolutely right, have a good night." I couldn't make it to the car fast enough and yes there were plenty of comments waiting for me as I left.

Truly, the most embarassing night I ever experienced as an official.

Carbide Keyman Thu Nov 09, 2006 07:52pm

Hmmmmm ........................

My first high school game.

JV game working alone.

First batter of game singles.

Two pitches into next at-bat, pitcher steps off and feigns a throw to first.

I raise my arms and briskly move out from behind the plate and state "That's a balk !!!".

After pitcher, catcher, and home manager chew on my ample posterior, the visiting manager says "Blue, he stepped off first".

Welcome to the unreal world of umpiring.

mrm21711 Thu Nov 09, 2006 08:15pm

When Little League Dan started posting?

ozzy6900 Thu Nov 09, 2006 08:16pm

Embarassing moments? Gee, I have none to recall! :rolleyes:

Except for the time I signaled "safe" and verbalized "out"! (LL @2nd base 26 years ago) :D

3appleshigh Thu Nov 09, 2006 08:48pm

I while in space in a HS game, just plain terrible game, and I zoned out. Well, pitcher had been doing the same horrible pick off all game, well, now he trys something new, steps off turns and fakes to first (actually quicker than his normal staying on the rubber move but not here or there) Anyway, up I come as he fakes, I am very loud and give a great, "That's A ... No It's Not" I don't think there was a dry eye in the place.:D :D

I must admit Tim, that second one is one of the funniest I ever heard.

LakeErieUmp Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:00pm

Not my most embarassing moment, but likely my most stupid. I was watching my son's JV game and PU, a friend of mine from the association, called time after the first out and called "Hey! I forgot my mask!" And here I was watching and never even noticed!