The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Greg Gibson(Cards/Padres finale) (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/28750-greg-gibson-cards-padres-finale.html)

Carbide Keyman Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:27am

Greg Gibson(Cards/Padres finale)

Greg Gibson kept a running commentary throughout the game as to the where each pitch was(i.e. "No, that's low, "That's out", "That's in", etc.).

Also, on HBP, said "that got him".

In previous discussions on this forum, these particular "mechanics" were frowned upon by we non-professionals.

Comments ?

Tim C Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:38am

Doug:

As with normal issues regarding umpires that work non-professional games there always seems to be two distinct camps.

I have posted consistently that I believe in identifying critical pitches as to location.

I do not do a "running commentary" but being from the "old school" of professional trained umpires I was trained originally to give subtle physical signs as to pitch location (i.e. look left or right, make a subtle sign that pitch was low).

This has developed (in my games) that if I have an important, boarderline pitch, I give a verbal on the location. I don't do it often but I do it when I deem necessary.

I have found that: "BALL, inside!" heads off dugout chatter and truely helps people understand what is going on.

Of course this is just my opinion and I do believe that this is one of the "individual choice" things that make umpires able to be different but successful in their own style.

Regards,

mbyron Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:41am

Tee's general remark applies to two camps regarding calling pitches. However, Gibson talks more than even Tee's talking camp would. This raises the point that MLB umpires are excellent umpires who do not always use (or need to use) standard pro mechanics (that is, the mechanics taught in professional umpire school).

I take two lessons from this point: (1) Do not imitate MLB umpires and expect to have pro mechanics in every case. (2) MLB umps sometimes do what they do in order to innovate, and some of that filters down to the schools and ends up as "best practices." At that point, pro mechanics evolve. But for my part, I won't adopt it until after filtering, mainly because I trust the "filterers" more than myself to judge what really works for 2-man and 3-man systems.

LakeErieUmp Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:54am

Don't forget (3) as the late Ron Luciano was quite clear about - some umpires mug for the cameras! Luciano was not alone in doing things for the entertainment value.

kylejt Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:22pm

My son just went through the one week umpire clinic through Little Leagues Western Region. They had some MiLB umpires come in for some classes, and they told how MLB umpires will purposely delay their calls so the TV camera will swing over to them.

It's show business folks.

PeteBooth Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carbide Keyman
Greg Gibson kept a running commentary throughout the game as to the where each pitch was(i.e. "No, that's low, "That's out", "That's in", etc.).

Also, on HBP, said "that got him".

In previous discussions on this forum, these particular "mechanics" were frowned upon by we non-professionals.

Comments ?

There are many things that are "taught", but IMO they are simply gudielines which work in most instances.

Perhaps by calling the pitches the way Greg does helps him with is timing. In other words he is comfortable with that mechanic.

IMO, the main point about NOT giving location especially in the amateur game is

1. We are not going to do it all game long
and

2. We are human and it's inevitable that we will call 2 close pitches in the opposite manner. Then we have to hear "Hey Blue you said that pitch was high last time and now it's a strike".

I'm with TEE in that I will give location on a close pitch once in awhile but not all game long.

Pete Booth

SanDiegoSteve Mon Oct 09, 2006 01:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kylejt
My son just went through the one week umpire clinic through Little Leagues Western Region. They had some MiLB umpires come in for some classes, and they told how MLB umpires will purposely delay their calls so the TV camera will swing over to them.

It's show business folks.

Your better TV cameramen know how to include the umpire in the shot to start with.

I think that's absurd to believe the MLB umpires actually delay their calls for that reason. It is really all about proper timing, so as not to end up with the dreaded "Out...no, Safe" call. The eyes, the eyes...:cool:

jpc2119 Mon Oct 09, 2006 01:53pm

One of my partners who went to one of Jim Evans camps told me not to give location unless you do it every pitch. For example, if you call a pitch inside and say "no that's inside" and then you have another pitch inside that you just call a ball, it can incite dugout chatter as to why you didn't give the location for that pitch. Did you miss it, are you not sure where it was, etc. I guess if you do it every pitch it's alright, but I don't like verbalizing location ever. Like Tee said, I will look right or left to give location on close pitches.

Dave Hensley Mon Oct 09, 2006 03:01pm

I editorialize on pitch location pretty liberally, and have also employed the technique of "looking off" the outside or inside pitch. I have not detected any adverse consequences to either of these practices.

JJ Mon Oct 09, 2006 07:40pm

If the catcher asks more than once where a pitch was, I MAY say on the next close one "Ball, that's low". If nobody's asking, I'm not volunteering information.
As to the cameraman - for years at my clinics I've said, with regards to timing on calls on the bases, "Pretend the game is on tv and there's only one camera...give the cameraman time to see the play, then turn the camera to you to see the call." ;)

kylejt Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ
As to the cameraman - for years at my clinics I've said, with regards to timing on calls on the bases, "Pretend the game is on tv and there's only one camera...give the cameraman time to see the play, then turn the camera to you to see the call." ;)

Maybe that's what these umpires were trying to get across to these kids. Good point. These weren't rookies who were teaching this.