The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   World Series Umpiring Crew (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/28735-world-series-umpiring-crew.html)

johnSandlin Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:38pm

World Series Umpiring Crew

Now the DS's are almost over, I am going to take a shot at the umpiring crew that I think will be assigned to the world series.

I think the crew will look like this:

John Hirschbeck (cc)
Alfonso Marquez
Ted Barrett
Mike Everitt
Ed Rapuano
Randy Marsh

Alt(s): Wally Bell & Larry Poncino

mattmets Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:48pm

If Randy Marsh is on the crew I highly doubt Hirschbeck would be the CC.

mattmets Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:16pm

Just for craps and chuckles though, based on what I've seen this year I would go with this:

CC: Gerry Davis
1B: Paul Emmel
2B: Wally Bell
3B: Alfonso Marquez
LF: Mike Winters
RF: Ed Rapuano

UMP25 Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:05am

There are a lot more than the above from whom to choose. An umpire working the World Series does not need to work an LCS or DS during the same post-season.

johnSandlin Sun Oct 08, 2006 07:26am

Actually, in order to work the world series, I think the umpire had to have been on one of the DS crews in order to qualify for the world series assignment, but I am not 100% for sure on this.

mattmets Sun Oct 08, 2006 09:55am

An umpire working the World Series can NOT work the LCS, but I believe they have made working the DS a requirement.

LLPA13UmpDan Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:20am

I saw somewhere where Joe West will be the CC ??

mattmets Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LLPA13UmpDan
I saw somewhere where Joe West will be the CC ??

You saw wrong.

LLPA13UmpDan Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:56pm

heres my vote for WS :D

HP: Doug Eddings CC
1st: Angel Hernandez
2nd: Ron Kulpa
3rd: Bill Miller
LF: Bruce Dreckman
RF: Tim Timmons

tiger49 Sun Oct 08, 2006 02:26pm

Seeing as though the umpires selected for the world series couldn't have worked either last year's WS or this year's LCS. I gather you will see the following:

CC- Tim McClelland
1B- Ted Barrett
2B- Alfonso Marquez
3B- John Hirschbeck
LF- Wally Bell
RF- Mike Everitt

Alts- Gerry Davis & Tim Tschida

Jurassic Referee Sun Oct 08, 2006 04:42pm

Boy, we really, <b>really</b> need a poll for trhis one.

tiger49 Sun Oct 08, 2006 05:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Boy, we really, <b>really</b> need a poll for trhis one.

Maybe an unofficial pool would be better. Winner get bragging rights.:p

GarthB Sun Oct 08, 2006 06:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger49
Winner get bragging rights.:p

And one of the crew chief's old jocks for up close and personal sniffing.

Oops...was that another negative post?

LLPA13UmpDan Sun Oct 08, 2006 09:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger49
Maybe an unofficial pool would be better. Winner get bragging rights.:p

what about a pool ? :p

SanDiegoSteve Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LLPA13UmpDan
what about a pool ? :p

Now you've gone off the deep end.:D

rs1128 Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:11pm

The WS crew comes out of the 24 assigned to work the division series, with some consideration given to performance in those series. Look for McClelland, Hirschbeck, and Winters. Bell and Poncino will get rotated in for their first WS each. A few in the DS round can't do WS because they haven't done a CS yet (Emmel, Welke, Diaz, others). But a sixth would come from whatever is left.

tjones1 Mon Oct 09, 2006 01:33pm

This would be my crew:
Tim McClelland (cc)
Gerry Davis
Eric Cooper
Ted Barrett
Ed Rapnano
Greg Gibson

Highly unlikely, since it would be Barrett's, Cooper's, and Gibson's first WS.

So, out of the 24 DS umpires, 7 of them do not have a CS (O-Nora, Diaz, Emmel, Vanover, Welke, Foster, Randazzo), therefore they are out. Hirschbeck hasn't been since 95, so I'm counting him in. Davis worked the WS in 2004, Marsh and Rapnano worked it in 2003.

So, here is my real shot:
Tim McClelland (cc)
John Hirschback
Tim Tschida
Mike Winters
Larry Poncino (most ML years without a WS)
Wally Bell (second most ML years without a WS)

Edited after I did a little homework.

johnSandlin Mon Oct 09, 2006 07:29pm

I think MLB is going away from the old apparent way of assigning the world series (having to have a certain number of DS's and a certain number of LCS's on their resumes) to assigning the most deserving umpires because of their work during the season and their performance during their DS assignment.

That is why I thought Hirschbeck might be the CC, and Barrett along with Marquez would get their first WS assignment.

I think tiger49 has the best crew prediction for the upcoming world series. I do not see Cooper and Gibson getting because of problems they had during their DS in the field and their plate games, but we shall see what the assignments are announced.

mrm21711 Mon Oct 09, 2006 07:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnSandlin
I think tiger49 has the best crew prediction for the upcoming world series. I do not see Cooper and Gibson getting because of problems they had during their DS in the field and their plate games, but we shall see what the assignments are announced.

I didnt see all of both games...what were the problems they had?

mattmets Mon Oct 09, 2006 09:05pm

Cooper definitely had consistency problems...but I thought Greg had a decent game last night.

UMP25 Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:15am

Quote:

I think MLB is going away from the old apparent way of assigning the world series (having to have a certain number of DS's and a certain number of LCS's on their resumes) to assigning the most deserving umpires because of their work during the season and their performance during their DS assignment.

There isn't any "going away from" involved. The method of assigning umpires to special events (All-Star game and post-season games) is spelled out in the collective bargaining agreement between MLB and the World Umpires Association. Not too long ago, rotation alone pretty much determined who got what. Now, while that plays a part, performance during the season comes into play. Also, in a discussion I had last week with a friend of mine who worked last year's World Series, he told me that there is no absolute requirement that a WS umpire must work a division series.

mattmets Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by UMP25
There isn't any "going away from" involved. The method of assigning umpires to special events (All-Star game and post-season games) is spelled out in the collective bargaining agreement between MLB and the World Umpires Association. Not too long ago, rotation alone pretty much determined who got what. Now, while that plays a part, performance during the season comes into play. Also, in a discussion I had last week with a friend of mine who worked last year's World Series, he told me that there is no absolute requirement that a WS umpire must work a division series.

You know Angel?!

UMP25 Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:41pm

Hardly. Someone else with whom I attended umpire school. In fact, he was our top student of that class.

tiger49 Wed Oct 11, 2006 07:45pm

It shouldn't be too long until we now who got the series as they have already been told. You can see more on the selection process here. http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/of...vent_selection

SanDiegoSteve Wed Oct 11, 2006 07:51pm

Quote:

Hardly. Someone else with whom I attended umpire school. In fact, he was our top student of that class.

Can I play too? It has to be one of two, so I will guess Jeff Nelson.

UMP25 Wed Oct 11, 2006 08:31pm

It was never meant to be a guessing game, Steve. I simply didn't want to specify my friend's name, mainly because I'm sure others here have friends in MlB or MiLB, and none of us wish to make this into some sort of "my @#$% is bigger than your @#$% contest." Personally, I don't consider it a big deal; rather, I'm just glad my class had several standout guys--and instructors, for that matter. :)

Cub42 Wed Oct 11, 2006 09:38pm

Well Said

Quote:

It was never meant to be a guessing game, Steve. I simply didn't want to specify my friend's name, mainly because I'm sure others here have friends in MlB or MiLB, and none of us wish to make this into some sort of "my @#$% is bigger than your @#$% contest." Personally, I don't consider it a big deal; rather, I'm just glad my class had several standout guys--and instructors, for that matter. :)

For some reason, there seems to be a lot of venom directed at Milb, Mlb, or people who know these guys. They are not villians or primadonnas. Of course in any occupation there is going to be people who are full of themselves. One thing everybody needs to remember, is it is long road to success and more times than not, you can be sent packing without an explanation.

DG Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:35pm

Is there a line in Las Vegas on who will umpire the Series? Given the numbers of umpires to select vs. teams to choose from I would be better off to speculate on who will play in the Series..

SanDiegoSteve Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:03am

Quote:

Well, you vehemently denied that it was Angel, so it could only be one of two possibilities. You mentioned that this person worked the World Series last year, so without name dropping, you sure narrowed it down to 6 umpires, and 3 of those are eliminated by their age. If you didn't expect people to guess, perhaps you shouldn't have mentioned that he worked the Series last year.

UMP25 Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:11am

I never figured my simple response as "vehemently" denying it was Angel. In fact, my response was intentionally meant to poke a little fun at those who turn red at the very mention of his name. ;)

goyanksgonj Sun Oct 15, 2006 05:57pm

One-third of the crew is already known for sure:

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/app...RTS03/61012048

Chief is Marsh, and McClelland is also on

mattmets Sun Oct 15, 2006 06:48pm

2 CC assignments in 4 years for Randy...that's impressive.

goyanksgonj Tue Oct 17, 2006 04:09pm

Quote:

Now the DS's are almost over, I am going to take a shot at the umpiring crew that I think will be assigned to the world series.

I think the crew will look like this:

John Hirschbeck (cc)
Alfonso Marquez
Ted Barrett
Mike Everitt
Ed Rapuano
Randy Marsh

Alt(s): Wally Bell & Larry Poncino

johnSandlin, between your six regulars and your two alternates suggested here, you've successfully conquered 2/3 of the actual crew members. I'll fumble through the rest of the posts and see if anyone has nailed either of the incorrectly chosen ones, of which you have four, johnSandlin. That might give you a big hint. Also, take this other hint however you choose. You picked the wrong Crew Chief. Have fun!

tjones1 Tue Oct 17, 2006 04:15pm

How does mine look go?

goyanksgonj Tue Oct 17, 2006 04:24pm

mattmets, you picked three correctly, including, hint, hint, one of the two johnSandlin didn't have right. Your Crew Chief is also wrong.

LLPA13UmpDan, how do I say this nicely, nill.

tiger49, you picked four correctly, including, hint, hint, the other one of the two johnSandlin didn't have right. Just like mattmets, however, unfortunately, your Crew Chief is also wrong.

and, tjones1, last but, certainly not least, your real shot, the better of the two selections you had, had four picked correctly, including, hint, hint, the same one of the two johnSandlin didn't have right that tiger49 correctly picked. Just like mattmets and tiger49, however, your Crew Chief is also wrong.

mattmets Tue Oct 17, 2006 04:39pm

OK, so, Goyanksgo, let me know if my 3 minutes of effort I put into this was fruitful. Here's the crew I came up with:

CC- Randy Marsh
1B- Alfonso Marquez
2B- Wally Bell
3B- Tim Tschida
LF- Ed Rapuano
RF- Tim McClelland

Even if the positions are wrong, do I have any right? And, just curious, what's your source?

goyanksgonj Tue Oct 17, 2006 05:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattmets
OK, so, Goyanksgo, let me know if my 3 minutes of effort I put into this was fruitful. Here's the crew I came up with:

CC- Randy Marsh
1B- Alfonso Marquez
2B- Wally Bell
3B- Tim Tschida
LF- Ed Rapuano
RF- Tim McClelland

Even if the positions are wrong, do I have any right? And, just curious, what's your source?

mattmets, you've successfully conquered 2/3 of the actual crew. Only 1/6, however, is in proper position.

The actual crew is as follows:

30, 36, ?, ?, 35, and 72

Source: A certain MLB umpire with his own Web site

jpc2119 Tue Oct 17, 2006 05:10pm

Larry Poncino and Mike Winters

mattmets Tue Oct 17, 2006 05:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpc2119
Larry Poncino and Mike Winters

Is this a guess or confirmed?

jpc2119 Tue Oct 17, 2006 05:49pm

That's my guess of who the other two are.

Winters could very well be a Crew Chief soon, he deserves it.

Poncino's been around for so long he has to get one sooner or later.

mattmets Tue Oct 17, 2006 05:53pm

I'll say Winters and Hirschbeck.

CJN Tue Oct 17, 2006 06:53pm

I'll take Bill Welke and Ed Rapuano

(I would go with Mike Winters, but everyone else was on him. So I threw another one in.)

rs1128 Tue Oct 17, 2006 08:39pm

Marsh, Marquez, Hirschbeck, Bell, Winters, McClelland (?)

goyanksgonj Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattmets
I'll say Winters and Hirschbeck.

Ding, ding! Hirschbeck will have the plate first amongst those two.

yankeesfan Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:42pm

i talked with wally bell last week and he said he has plate first game. he is from youngstown and so am i.

mattmets Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:16pm

I think he was joshing you, since Randy Marsh is the crew chief.

johnSandlin Wed Oct 18, 2006 03:29pm

Based on a hint that was given to me in one of the previous responses, I am thinking Gerry Davis is one of the other World Series umpires for this year.

LMan Wed Oct 18, 2006 06:56pm

:O ygbsmmmmm

tjones1 Fri Oct 20, 2006 09:20am

I haven't found the crew posted yet (on majorleagueumpires.com). Anyone have a link that lists the umpires working the World Series?

mattmets Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:48am

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20061020&cont

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/p...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Quote:

Umpires for the 102nd World Series named
Randy Marsh, working his fifth Fall Classic, to serve as Crew Chief

Randy Marsh, who is in his 25th year as a Major League Umpire, will be the Crew Chief for the 102nd World Series and will call balls and strikes for Game One of the 2006 Fall Classic, it was announced today.
Marsh's crew will include Tim McClelland (24th year Major League Umpire), John Hirschbeck (23rd year), Mike Winters (17th year), Wally Bell (14th year) and Alfonso Marquez (7th year).

Marsh will be on the field for the World Series for the fifth time in his career (others: 1990, '97, '99, '03). Marsh also was Crew Chief for the 2003 Fall Classic. The Kentucky native has worked five Division Series and seven League Championship Series overall.

This marks McClelland's fourth World Series assignment; the second for Hirschbeck and Winters; and the first for Bell and Marquez. All six Umpires assigned to this year's World Series worked the 2006 Division Series, during which Marsh, McClelland and Hirschbeck served as Crew Chiefs.

Umpire rotation, 102nd World Series

Game One Umpire Previous postseason assignments

HP Randy Marsh (Chief) 5 DS ('98-99, '01, '03, '06); 7 LCS ('89, '92, '95, '00, '02, '04-05); 4 WS ('90, '97, '99, '03)

1B Alfonso Marquez 4 DS ('01-02, '05-06); 1 LCS ('03)

2B Wally Bell 5 DS ('98-99, '03-04, '06); 3 LCS ('00-01, '05)

3B Mike Winters 6 DS ('98-02, '06); 2 LCS ('97, '04); 1 WS ('02)

LF John Hirschbeck 7 DS ('95, '98-99, '01, '03, '05-06); 4 LCS ('90, '97, '00, '04); 1 WS ('95)

RF Tim McClelland 5 DS ('97, '00, '02, '04, '06); 7 LCS ('88, '95, '99, '01, '03, '05); 3 WS ('93, '00, '02)

tjones1 Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1
I haven't found the crew posted yet (on majorleagueumpires.com). Anyone have a link that lists the umpires working the World Series?

Posted now on there. It's showing a different rotation.

2006 World Series Umpires

Randy Marsh
Tim McClelland
John Hirschbeck
Mike Winters
Wally Bell
Alfonso Marquez

mrm21711 Fri Oct 20, 2006 03:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1
Posted now on there. It's showing a different rotation.

2006 World Series Umpires

Randy Marsh
Tim McClelland
John Hirschbeck
Mike Winters
Wally Bell
Alfonso Marquez

That appears to be in order of seniority. That rotation is probably not correct.

Sal Giaco Fri Oct 20, 2006 04:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrm21711
That appears to be in order of seniority. That rotation is probably not correct.

I agree with you - I don't think Fonzie and Bell, the two guys with the least World Series experience, would be working the plate for a possible game 5 and/or 6. Although I think Marquez is nails behind the plate but that just my opinion

tjones1 Sat Oct 21, 2006 02:09pm

Good point mrm (and Sal). Just now noticed it was listed like that...