The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

Tanel plate shoes

Can those of you who have purchased (or decided against) Tanel plate shoes let me know what you think. I have a pair of Honigs I love to death but I'm looking for a second pair and the Tanels intrigue me. Horror stories welcome as well.
Thanks in advance for all your insights this year. I have learned more from this board than from anywhere else.
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeErieUmp
I have a pair of Honigs I love to death but I'm looking for a second pair and the Tanels intrigue me. Horror stories welcome as well.
Reminds me of a happily married man looking for a mistress...

If you love it, why even consider changing?
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

Just like my first (and second) marriages I did it poorly hoping for the best. The Honigs I have are a half size too big get to me on the days I have a plate-avoider when assigned to a double header. I'm also getting to the point the soles are beginning to wear down the nubs a bit (they have the older and I think better tread pattern). So I'm trying to make sure I check out all options before I go back and get another pair.
By the way, can I sell my wife on E-Bay?
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 09:03pm

Though I've never owned a pair of Tanel plate shoes, I've worn their base shoes, and loved them dearly (but alas, I strayed with another). I have read and heard absolutely nothing negative from anyone who owns the plate shoes, and I believe they may be my next pair as well.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Sep 30, 2006, 12:37am
Official Forum Member

I think they're ugly.
Old Sat Sep 30, 2006, 01:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt
I think they're ugly.
I think the proper word is "fugly."
Old Sat Sep 30, 2006, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeErieUmp
Just like my first (and second) marriages I did it poorly hoping for the best. The Honigs I have are a half size too big get to me on the days I have a plate-avoider when assigned to a double header. I'm also getting to the point the soles are beginning to wear down the nubs a bit (they have the older and I think better tread pattern). So I'm trying to make sure I check out all options before I go back and get another pair.
By the way, can I sell my wife on E-Bay?
I took my 5 year old pair of Honigs high tops down to the local cobbler when the nubbies wore down and the soles started coming off. He put a brand new Vibram heel/sole combination sole on them for $35, and they are now "lighter" than they were before. But the fit me, and he wouldn't be able to do much about being a half size too big. You could wear thicker socks...

No comment on the plate avoider.
Old Sat Sep 30, 2006, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

I've had tanels for 2 years now- absolutely love them.

They are very durable and have great protection. Also, they are very LIGHT- not much different in weight from my base shoe compared to other plate shoes. I also like how they look compared to the frankenstein boots normal plate shoes look like (like spot built for instance).
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 01:11am
Official Forum Member

Spot Built [I]aren't[I] normal plate shoes. They are industrial shoes, used for umpiring. Compare the look of Tanels to +POS, or Gerry Davis shoes.
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Have worn Tanel base shoes for eight years, wore their plate shoes for five until advised by a number of local high school varsity umps to switch to patent leather if I want to continue working that level in our area and match my partners.

Be that as it may, love my Tanels and wish they came in patent leather. Lightweight, good protection, good support. Still pull them out for lower level summer and fall games.
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 11:50am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt
Spot Built aren't normal plate shoes. They are industrial shoes, used for umpiring. Compare the look of Tanels to +POS, or Gerry Davis shoes.
Huh? Spot-Built shoes are designed specifically for sports officiating. You won't find them in any industrial shoe catalog.

The "hard toe" Spot-Built plate shoes would not qualify for industrial use, because if something heavy fell on the toe, you would have a smashed toe.
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Okay,,,,,,,,,then why are they so damned ugly?
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 03:22pm

Not any uglier than Balz or New Balance. Do you find any high-top shoes to be particularly attractive? I think ugly goes without saying for high-tops. But I sure like the ankle support they provide. If Tanel came out with a high-top plate shoe, I would definitely invest in a pair (not sold individually, Dan ).
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 06:33pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Not any uglier than Balz or New Balance. Do you find any high-top shoes to be particularly attractive? I think ugly goes without saying for high-tops. But I sure like the ankle support they provide. If Tanel came out with a high-top plate shoe, I would definitely invest in a pair (not sold individually, Dan ).
That's too bad. Then you wouldn't have to buy two pair for your two left feet........
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 08:38pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
That's too bad. Then you wouldn't have to buy two pair for your two left feet........
That's okay...I can always sell you the 2 right ones.
Closed Thread