The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Most amateur fields do not support the GD Stance. (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/28479-most-amateur-fields-do-not-support-gd-stance.html)

nickrego Mon Sep 25, 2006 02:26pm

Most amateur fields do not support the GD Stance.

I have been using the Gerry Davis System / Stance for several years now, and love it.

What I hate, is that most fields don't provide the proper soil support we need to stand in the exact same two places on every pitch. (One place for right'ies, one place for left'ies)

The majority of the fields out here are very dry and sandy. After a couple of innings, I find my self standing in two holes. Especially for my right foot on right handed batter's, and my left foot for left handed batters (those are the feet I push off with for each batter). I seem to spend most of the later innings doing land excavation to keep myself from working from a pit like the Catchers.

It is so nice when I work one of the fields that has the Pro Style dirt. Nice and firm. Proper moisture content. You could work 18 innings, and hardly notice you were ever there.

Oh well, you can tell it's getting to the end of my season. Three more weeks, and the little things are starting to get to me.

BigUmp56 Mon Sep 25, 2006 02:33pm

Perhaps a new blog is in order?

Tim.

LakeErieUmp Mon Sep 25, 2006 02:37pm

Although those two holes you're in will put you back to level with the batters who are, on most amateur fields, standing in foot-deep holes in the batters boxes.

GarthB Mon Sep 25, 2006 02:54pm

Absolutely incredible. Wearing the hockey mask a little tight these days?

LMan Mon Sep 25, 2006 03:55pm

Insufficient Soil Support (ISS) (tm) is a terribly underappreciated disease, running rampant in our amateur baseball system.

LLPA13UmpDan Mon Sep 25, 2006 04:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMan
Insufficient Soil Support (ISS) (tm) is a terribly underappreciated disease, running rampant in our amateur baseball system.

and here i thought ISS meant in school suspension

mattmets Mon Sep 25, 2006 04:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LLPA13UmpDan
and here i thought ISS meant in school suspension

In your case it does.

Tim C Tue Sep 26, 2006 07:56am

Hmmm,

Actually I feel for Nick's issue.

I have, several times, commented on how in the spring rains of the Pacific Northwest it is very difficult to work "double wide" in the mud holes behind the catcher.

Regards,

archangel Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:51pm

and dont forget about the occasional small rock that you can feel under your foot- causing you to break concentration...

umpire99 Tue Sep 26, 2006 01:00pm

stance

I don't worry much about my stance. I adjust it from batter to batter. It doesn't really matter how I stand. I know that I am the only one on the field who knows the difference between a ball and a strike. This includes my partner on most occasions.:cool:

briancurtin Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by umpire99
I don't worry much about my stance. I adjust it from batter to batter. It doesn't really matter how I stand. I know that I am the only one on the field who knows the difference between a ball and a strike. This includes my partner on most occasions.:cool:

oh, really?

ozzy6900 Wed Sep 27, 2006 06:32am

Quote:

This has to be a joke! :eek:

NFump Wed Sep 27, 2006 06:46am

A trolling we will go.......a trolling we will go......

lawump Wed Sep 27, 2006 07:51am

Quote:

Hooked 'em again...but you're no Lance...

Anyways...I worked my first game ever in the GD stance (tm) last night. After working for 6 years in the scissors I decided to try the switch based on comments from a lot of persons (internet posters and others) of the long term risks of injury from working the scissors.

I will say that I saw the pitches really, really well. It was a little weird being so far behind the catcher AND so high above the catcher (instead of chin at the top of the catcher's helmet), but I think I got used to it by the 3rd or 4th inning. I am a little sore this morning, as one definitely uses different leg muscles using the GD than the scissors. But the good news is that the sore parts are all muscles and NOT joints...which means I can "train" the muscles and I'm sure they won't be sore after a few more games.

LMan Wed Sep 27, 2006 08:22am

Quote:

*yawn* Another one to my list...... *click*