The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   2 Questions on a Runner (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/28450-2-questions-runner.html)

LLPA13UmpDan Sat Sep 23, 2006 08:49pm

2 Questions on a Runner

OK, lets not have this get out of hand here, all i want is help on this.

1. Heres a situation. deep Fly ball to left, R1 on third. It looks like a HR, so R1 takes off and crosses home plate, however the ball is caught. My question is, on a fly ball, if a runner touches the next bag, can he legally go back and tag up? If i understand this right,runners going to the bases in order, 1-2-3, No. Help here?

2. under the rule 7.08 F (LL) if a runner is touched ball a fair ball, does the pitcher count as a "fielder" for pourpose of the ball "passing a feilder" ?

Dont make stupid comments please, these are rules im not 100% on the interpretations.

NFump Sat Sep 23, 2006 09:50pm

Yes, 7.02 and 7.08 (d) 7.10(a) for #1. #2 No, 5.09(f) 6.08(d) 6.09(c) 7.04(b) 7.08(f) 7.09(m).

SanDiegoSteve Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:27pm

7.09(m) is now 7.09(k) for some reason. It seems like MLB.com has done away with the 45 ft. running lane rule [7.09(j)] on their version of the new rules. I have it as 7.09(l), but who am I to argue with MLB.com's rules.

Carbide Keyman Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:53am

LLDan ..........................

Is there some physical reason you could not open up your "rule book" and at least make some perfunctory attempt at finding the answers yourself ?

If you were to show the semblance of effort to find the answers, posters would be less inclined to "have fun" with you.

BTW, nice job NF and SDS in helping the young man with his homework.

LLPA13UmpDan Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carbide Keyman
Is there some physical reason you could not open up your "rule book" and at least make some perfunctory attempt at finding the answers yourself ?

If you were to show the semblance of effort to find the answers, posters would be less inclined to "have fun" with you.

BTW, nice job NF and SDS in helping the young man with his homework.

forgive me, i have trouble with reading the book. Some rules make no sense. NOW, what did i say about making stupid posts like these in my orginal post? :mad:

bob jenkins Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LLPA13UmpDan
forgive me, i have trouble with reading the book. Some rules make no sense. NOW, what did i say about making stupid posts like these in my orginal post? :mad:

You said:

Quote:

Dont make stupid comments please, these are rules im not 100% on the interpretations.
See, Dan, your reputation precedes you. While these questions weren't too bad (especially the second -- you at least cited a rule to show that you had opened the book), the types of questions you had previously asked and the format of some of your postings (e.g., using "im slang") lead to the types of responses you get. If you ask good questions, you'll get good answers, over time. If you ask stupid questions, you'll get stupid answers.

Tim C Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:06pm

So . . .

Anyone that does not follow your rules, on a public forum, makes those comments stupid.

What a piece of work, Lad . . . I now just feel sorry for you.

~SIGH~

Regards,

Carbide Keyman Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:15pm

Quote:

forgive me, i have trouble with reading the book.

Is this due to a reading deficiency on your part or just apathy ?

Either way, EFFORT is the key to improving.
Quote:

Some rules make no sense.

You are correct.

But, make an attempt to understand the rules.

Show some initiative before asking.

Quote:

NOW, what did i say about making stupid posts like these in my orginal post? :mad:

I just want to understand why you continually expose your lack of knowledge and inexperience, then are quick to anger when you are called on it ?

As far as stupid posts, you are an expert !;)

Dave Hensley Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:45pm

Quote:

As Forrest said to Lieutenant Dan, "stupid is as stupid does."

BigUmp56 Sun Sep 24, 2006 01:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Hensley
As Forrest said to Lieutenant Dan, "stupid is as stupid does."

I believe he said that to Bubba's Momma, but the point still sticks.

Tim.

bob jenkins Sun Sep 24, 2006 04:26pm

I, for one, am surprised by that last remark.

In any event, I think any more similar comments in this thread would be "piling on", and Dan has the answers to his two questions.