The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   does the run count? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/28284-does-run-count.html)

ggk Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:31am

does the run count?
 
R1 and R2, one out. B1 hits a double. R2 scores and R1 is thrown out at the plate for the 2nd out. B1 missed first and the defense properly appeals and B1 is declared out.
Does R2's run count?? Or can no runs score since B1 made the 3rd prior to actually reaching first?
Help me understand. thanks.

BigUmp56 Thu Sep 14, 2006 03:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ggk
R1 and R2, one out. B1 hits a double. R2 scores and R1 is thrown out at the plate for the 2nd out. B1 missed first and the defense properly appeals and B1 is declared out.
Does R2's run count?? Or can no runs score since B1 made the 3rd prior to actually reaching first?
Help me understand. thanks.

No run may scored if a runner advances to home plate during a play in which the third out is made by the batter-runner before he touches first base.

4.09(a) Exception.


Tim.

bluezebra Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PWL
Could you cite the rule number for slow pitch softball. I have a game tonight, and I want to quote it in case in it comes up. I'm not umpiring, just playing.

It depends on what rule book your league uses. There are more than one in every type of softball, slow and fast, plus numerous baseball rule books. I worked out of three or four slow pitch rule boks when I umpired.

Bob

RonRef Thu Sep 14, 2006 01:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluezebra
It depends on what rule book your league uses. There are more than one in every type of softball, slow and fast, plus numerous baseball rule books. I worked out of three or four slow pitch rule boks when I umpired.

Bob


Do you have all of them in your back pocket during the game?

greymule Thu Sep 14, 2006 02:35pm

In this regard, ASA (softball) inserted a very significant rule a couple of years ago (and for some reason didn't highlight it in the yearly list of rule changes). There is no fourth out appeal, advantageous or otherwise, on a runner who did not score.

Therefore, in the original post, since the appeal at 1B was the third out, the run would be nullified. However, if the same play had begun with 2 out, then the appeal at 1B would be the fourth out. Since the BR did not score, the appeal is not honored. The run would score. In every other code that I know of, the advantageous fourth out at 1B would nullify the run.

In the obvious example:

Bases loaded, 2 out. BR hits a ball off the fence and misses 1B. The three preceding runners score, and the BR is thrown out at home. The defense then appeals BR's miss of 1B. Sorry, fellas, the BR did not score. The runs count.

SanDiegoSteve Thu Sep 14, 2006 03:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PWL
Could you cite the rule number for slow pitch softball. I have a game tonight, and I want to quote it in case in it comes up. I'm not umpiring, just playing.

Oh, you're good. Reel 'em in now!:D

BigUmp56 Fri Sep 15, 2006 05:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by PWL
Could you cite the rule number for slow pitch softball. I have a game tonight, and I want to quote it in case in it comes up. I'm not umpiring, just playing.


I looked for my old softball rule books and couldn't find any. I haven't worked a softball game in 14 years so I'd imagine they've been thrown out. I'll tell you what, you sit tight and I'll get back to you as soon as I can dig up a rule book. Or better yet, why don't you just make sure you touch all the bases when you hit that big 250' dinger and it won't be a problem for you.


Tim.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:22pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1