The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Joe Brinkman

Has officially retired, according to an article in the Charlotte Observer (http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlot...15316997.htm):

Quote:
Umpire Joe Brinkman, who began his career in the AL in 1973, has retired with injuries that prevented him from completing the season.
Also, one other article: http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...s.2ea98b4.html

In other veteran umpire news, does anyone have any contacts to Ed Montague? He hasn't worked in a while but was at the Bruce Froemming ceremonies in Boston last week. Just wondering if he's also decided to hang up his gear.

Last edited by mattmets; Mon Aug 21, 2006 at 06:20pm.
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmets
Has officially retired, according to an article in the Charlotte Observer (http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlot...15316997.htm):

In other veteran umpire news, does anyone have any contacts to Ed Montague? He hasn't worked in a while but was at the Bruce Froemming ceremonies in Boston last week. Just wondering if he's also decided to hang up his gear.
My guess is that Ed will pull the plug either this year or next. He has resigned from the WUA (No reason given), been injured and has slowed way down.

If he does in fact retire this year or between season it would be the first time three slots opened up in a very long time (Not counting 1999).

My understanding is that Davidson get's Brinkman's slot & I would guess Guccione would be next up.

Last edited by socalblue1; Mon Aug 21, 2006 at 11:44pm.
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalblue1
My understanding is that Davidson get's Brinkman's slot & I would guess Guccione would be next up.
I would think Hoye might be getting the next spot...he got to work the Yanks-Sox series this weekend and has been up for most of the year. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get one of the next 2 or 3 spots.

Last edited by mattmets; Mon Aug 21, 2006 at 06:21pm.
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 06:44pm
In Memoriam

I think that Brinkman is getting credit for something that he had nothing to do with re: the articles stating that he out-foxed Billy Martin. Tim McClelland, who had the plate that day, made the "out" call after talking it over with Brinkman. That call was later over-ruled by Lee McPhail, who ordered a do-over. At that time, most of the AL umpires were pissed at McPhail because he really didn't have the rules back-up to allow the KC protest. The story later came out that someone in the Yankee hierarchy that didn't like Martin leaked to the AL office that Martin was gonna appeal a missed base on Brett's homer. That's why the AL office got an affadavit from Brinkman and his crew stating that no bases were missed. The crew chief on the do-over, Davey Philipps, was given the affadavit and was told exactly what was gonna happen. Philipps was the one that showed Martin the affadavit. Iow, Brinkman was hardly involved in this one at all.

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/hi...003/030624.htm

Btw, Davey Philipps and Durwood Merrill both talked about this play in their biographies, which are both great reads.
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I would think Hoye might be getting the next spot...he got to work the Yanks-Sox series this weekend and has been up for most of the year. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get one of the next 2 or 3 spots.
He may, though my sources (For what very little it's worth) put Gucci just a tad ahead. Either way they both deserve it.
Old Tue Aug 22, 2006, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

I can't believe you guys anymore! You all had me convinced that Balkin' Bob was first on the list...and then when Craft retired, Barksdale got the job.

I'm going out on a limb and guessing that no one's sources (unless their source is Bud Selig or his duly designated assistant) really has as good an idea as I do. And my sources tell me Andy Konyer or Dave Yeast (sp?) is going to get the spot.
Old Fri Sep 01, 2006, 03:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to goyanksgonj Send a message via Yahoo to goyanksgonj
Quote:

Also, one other article: http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...s.2ea98b4.html

A couple of questions:

1) Which AAA guy is getting Brinkman's MLB staff vacancy?
2) What about, which MLB staff guy is getting Brinkman's vacant CC position?
3) When was the retirement officially effective as of?
4) Does MLB plan on making an official announcement at some point of this retirement?
5) Is the WUA Web site going to get updated any time soon? I mean, we've had two retirements recently. And, the Ask the Ump feature still has Tim Welke's 2004 crew. What about Joe West's site getting updated? Finally, the MLB umpire section at the MLB site needs to update Phil Cuzzi's bio to reflect his new number change for this season.
Old Fri Sep 01, 2006, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Wow

Gawd, I am so embarrassed that I was once part of this fraternity.

Regards,
Old Fri Sep 01, 2006, 10:23am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyanksgonj
A couple of questions:

4) Does MLB plan on making an official announcement at some point of this retirement?
5) Is the WUA Web site going to get updated any time soon? I mean, we've had two retirements recently. And, the Ask the Ump feature still has Tim Welke's 2004 crew. What about Joe West's site getting updated? Finally, the MLB umpire section at the MLB site needs to update Phil Cuzzi's bio to reflect his new number change for this season.
So, what do MLB umpires' jocks smell like?
Old Fri Sep 01, 2006, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
Gawd, I am so embarrassed that I was once part of this fraternity.

Regards,
I feel your pain. But, it gets worse. When you respect the wishes of the MLB umpires you knew or know, you get accused of being a liar. And if you decide to claim credit for what they told you, you would know that you're being dishonest.

Thus you are left with:

1. Accept being called a liar.
2. Become dishonest.
3. Go back to dropping names and disrespect their wishes.
4. Play dumb.

Good luck, friend.
Old Sat Sep 02, 2006, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
I think that either Rob Drake or Chris Guccione will get the spot vaccated by Joe Brinkman's retirement. As for Joe's CC spot, that is a tough decision. There are a lot of good umpires deserving of that position.

I would say Gary Cederstrom, Ed Rapuano, Jim Joyce, Mike Winters, and Tim Tschedia are probably the front runners for Joe's vaccant CC spot. A lot of the decision will be based on playoff assignments and past evaluations.

All of these guys have worked a World Series or LCS multiple times throughout their careers, so it is a tough decision.
Old Sat Sep 02, 2006, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnSandlin
I think that either Rob Drake or Chris Guccione will get the spot vaccated by Joe Brinkman's retirement. As for Joe's CC spot, that is a tough decision. There are a lot of good umpires deserving of that position.

I would say Gary Cederstrom, Ed Rapuano, Jim Joyce, Mike Winters, and Tim Tschedia are probably the front runners for Joe's vaccant CC spot. A lot of the decision will be based on playoff assignments and past evaluations.

All of these guys have worked a World Series or LCS multiple times throughout their careers, so it is a tough decision.
Just MHO, FWIW, but I have seen Mike Winters work a few times in the past two years and have been VERY impressed with how he goes about things on the field. Just my very naive opinion on how a crew chief should be.
Old Sun Sep 03, 2006, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyanksgonj
A couple of questions:

There is a reason why not much has been publicly said of Joe's retirement. Asking all those questions as if this is some federal case that needs attention NOW is rather ridiculous. In time more information will be forthcoming. Let's just leave it at that.