The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Masks (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/27979-masks.html)

LakeErieUmp Fri Aug 25, 2006 02:17pm

Masks

I know this gets discussed frequently here (but basically I'm too lazy to dig through the old posts.)
I need a new mask for next season. What recommendations do you have?
Thanks

SanDiegoSteve Fri Aug 25, 2006 02:23pm

Freddy Kruger or Jason are two of the most popular.

Mountaineer Fri Aug 25, 2006 02:24pm

I have an ultralight from Diamond and love it. It has a double bar frame and the pads have that water wicking material and it's very light weight. It's realitively inexpensive too.

Tim C Fri Aug 25, 2006 02:49pm

Hehehe

And NONE of those softballs even dent it . . .

Couldn't resist.

Regards,

scott1231 Fri Aug 25, 2006 02:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LakeErieUmp
I know this gets discussed frequently here (but basically I'm too lazy to dig through the old posts.)
I need a new mask for next season. What recommendations do you have?
Thanks

I just bought the K91 Single Bar w/Doeskin from Honig's. I've used it four times, and dig it. Light, and more vision than I had with my Davis mask.

Well, I guess "more vision" is subjective ... :rolleyes:

Mountaineer Fri Aug 25, 2006 03:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim C
And NONE of those softballs even dent it . . .

Couldn't resist.

Regards,

Oh, I wouldn't even bother wearing a mask for that sissy sport! :D

Tim C Fri Aug 25, 2006 03:29pm

Hey:

Larry:

Why don't you go out and snatch up a few girl's softball games.

~Brrrrrump~ Rim Shot!

Regards,

SanDiegoSteve Fri Aug 25, 2006 03:52pm

I don't think Tim has ever taken a bad hop playing 3rd base in a game where they use Red Dot softballs, which are harder than baseballs. There is nothing soft about Red Dots.

orioles35 Fri Aug 25, 2006 03:53pm

Go buy a used one from a hockey supply store. Not only will they have been tested with pucks, but the paint job will get you noticed.

LLPA13UmpDan Fri Aug 25, 2006 03:58pm

Id say if you want an Hockey Style, Go with All-Star, same as what MLB guys use. If you want regular, id go with a West Vest/ Wilson Dynalite.

umpduck11 Fri Aug 25, 2006 09:51pm

Does anyone still manufacture/sell a navy blue mask ? I'd like to buy one,
but can't seem to find one. Any help would be appreciated.

SanDiegoSteve Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by umpduck11

I believe you can still get a West Vest mask in Navy. Also, there are plenty of top-of-the-line masks by Rawlings, All-Star, Wilson, etc. which come in a variety of colors.

Mountaineer Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:23pm

Quote:

The Diamond mask I talked about comes in Navy. I have a navy and a black. The diamond comes in Black, Navy, Royal, Red, Gray, and Hunter Green. The Gray actually looks pretty cool, but I can't imagine using a Navy Green one but they sell it none the less.

GarthB Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mountaineer
The Diamond mask I talked about comes in Navy. I have a navy and a black. The diamond comes in Black, Navy, Royal, Red, Gray, and Hunter Green. The Gray actually looks pretty cool, but I can't imagine using a Navy Green one but they sell it none the less.

Navy green????? Must be a softball thing.

SanDiegoSteve Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:32pm

That was the seasick sailor, who turned Navy green!

Mountaineer Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarthB
Navy green????? Must be a softball thing.

Could be - we have all the cool stuff!

See - that's the first mistake I've made in about 5 minutes - I meant FORREST GREEN!

LMan Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:30pm

Nope, won't do it. Too easy. Will leave the low-hanging fruit to others :D

DG Sat Aug 26, 2006 09:15pm

Quote:

Honigs has a sale on a single bar lightweight, available in navy. I bought one recently for $14, equipped it with navy harness and tan doeskins and added it to my rotation of black and red masks, also from Honigs.

http://www.honigs.com/detail.asp?Cat=2&Sub=75&Item=315

ggk Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:09pm

i was also in the market for a mask this season. i was looking for the best light weight mask available. i tried out honigs and diamond - both have nice light-weight masks, but nothing compares to the POS zero gravity ultra-lightweight mask. it was on back order for several months (no surprise from POS), but it finally came in. it is significantly lighter than the light weight masks i previously mentioned. i love it. feels like your not wearing a mask at all. you won't believe how light it is when you first pick it up.

briancurtin Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:12am

my AUL is too dinged up to keep using. i like everything about it except that the bars seem to be pretty weak

Rich Sun Aug 27, 2006 09:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by briancurtin
my AUL is too dinged up to keep using. i like everything about it except that the bars seem to be pretty weak

I took a shot that dented it the first game I wore it. I called +POS and they told me it was a "normal" thing. I told +POS that I'd never buy anything from them again if that was "normal."

ctblu40 Sun Aug 27, 2006 09:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
I took a shot that dented it the first game I wore it. I called +POS and they told me it was a "normal" thing. I told +POS that I'd never buy anything from them again if that was "normal."

Speaking of dented masks, I use a Wilson "New View" and took a shot last season in an adult league game that put a very small dent in it. Does this weaken the mask? Some have said no and others have said yes... what say you?

Mountaineer Sun Aug 27, 2006 09:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctblu40
Speaking of dented masks, I use a Wilson "New View" and took a shot last season in an adult league game that put a very small dent in it. Does this weaken the mask? Some have said no and others have said yes... what say you?

It would certainly weaken my trust in the mask!

LakeErieUmp Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:02pm

Thanks for the replies - I've now narrowed my choices down to the Wilson Dyna Lite, the Wilson Chrome Moli, the Honigs, Plus+, and All Star - plus the various UHMs.