The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Double Play question (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/27897-double-play-question.html)

JasonTX Mon Aug 21, 2006 08:53am

Double Play question

I was flipping the channels the other day and seen a double play. What draws my curiousity was with the commentators. The play developed and the commentators said, "6, 3, double play." I've also heard some games where they said, "4, 3, double play." What the heck does the numbers signify? Why not just say, "Double Play?"

Dave Hensley Mon Aug 21, 2006 08:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonTX
I was flipping the channels the other day and seen a double play. What draws my curiousity was with the commentators. The play developed and the commentators said, "6, 3, double play." I've also heard some games where they said, "4, 3, double play." What the heck does the numbers signify? Why not just say, "Double Play?"

The numbers tell the reader what defensive fielders participated in the play. 6-3 means the shortstop (F6) completed the play with the first baseman (F3).

You have to know how field positions are numbered to understand the shorthand.

aceholleran Mon Aug 21, 2006 08:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonTX

Gang, as a preamble, take it easy on Jason.

Numbers 1-9 are used for scoring. We umps tend to use them in describing sitches, preceded by "F."

P=1; C=2; 1B=3; 2B=4, 3B=5; SS=6; LF=7; CF=8; RF=9. A standard double play, orgininating at short would be scored 6-4-3.

In addition, most umps use R1-R3 to designate runners' bases at the time of the pitch, plus B for the batter and/or B-R for the batter-runner.

You'll see (on this board and elsewhere), things like "F9 makes catch and throws to F3 to double off R1."

Ace

LMan Mon Aug 21, 2006 09:10am

Now, its time to wonder why the SS is F6 instead of F5..... ;)

scott1231 Mon Aug 21, 2006 02:22pm

my 2 cents ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMan
Now, its time to wonder why the SS is F6 instead of F5..... ;)

I've had that same thought.

I believe, originally, the SS was thought of as a rover-type.
Thus they "numbered" the bases, then SS (semi-OF), then OF.

CoachTex Mon Aug 21, 2006 04:03pm

If F4 is 2B and F6 is SS and F5 is 3B and BR is at the plate then Who's on first? :D

mcrowder Mon Aug 21, 2006 05:12pm

F3 of course. :)

LLPA13UmpDan Mon Aug 21, 2006 05:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachTex
If F4 is 2B and F6 is SS and F5 is 3B and BR is at the plate then Who's on first? :D

haha U1? :p

SanDiegoSteve Mon Aug 21, 2006 07:15pm

Quote:

I'm going to go with R1.:)

SAump Mon Aug 21, 2006 09:12pm

Classic

Quote:

Who is on first.

http://www.holysmoke.org/wb/wb0320.htm

BBlanco25 Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:00pm

Abott and Costello's bit is an absolute classic, its great to see the recording of them doing it. who wouldn't love to to memorize the bit with someone and do it.

waltjp Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PWL
Does anybody remember the name of the team that was on the uniforms that Lou and Bud were wearing? I do.

I've seen Bud wearing a St. Louis Wolves uniform. They did this routine for many years so there's likely to be other correct answers.

CoachTex Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBlanco25
Abott and Costello's bit is an absolute classic, its great to see the recording of them doing it. who wouldn't love to to memorize the bit with someone and do it.

I did it in high school and later reprised the role in college. Use to have the whole thing memorized.

LakeErieUmp Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:58am

You're right about R1 on first Steve...unless it's fed where it can be R2, or R3 as well.

jwwashburn Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:24pm

I had a 3-2-6 Double Play this year.

One out. Bases loaded. Low line drive to the 1ST baseman. It popped out of his glove and all runners froze. I was the BU and said NO! and made a safe signal.

He obviously did not drop it on purpose because he had no idea what to do with it. The smart play would have been to tag R1 (who had jumped BACK to 1st base when the ball hit the ground) and then tag first base.

Well, he threw home and then the catcher threw to SS to force R1 who was STILL standing on first base.

The coach came out to talk to me. He said something very confusing about the force being lifted after the force play at the plate. I tried not to laugh and said "Coach, if the batter ain't out and the runner on first is allowed to stay, we would have quite an interesting pickoff play on the next pitch. He stared at me for a second and cracked up laughing, patted me on the back and jogged back to the dugout.

VERY odd play.

Joe